Author Topic: Hard cap coming to the NBA?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hard cap coming to the NBA?
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/23/sports/basketball/23falk.html?_r=1&ref=basketball

Powerful Agent?s Blunt Warning About Future of the N.B.A.
The nation?s economy is buckling. Too many teams are losing money. League revenue is flat, and the salary cap is about to shrink for only the second time in its history. The N.B.A.?s system is broken, Falk says, and fixing it will require radical measures that almost guarantee a standoff in 2011, when the collective bargaining agreement expires. ?I think it?s going to be very, very extreme,? Falk said, ?because I think that the times are extreme.? New York Times

How extreme? Falk said he believed Stern, the commissioner, would push for a hard salary cap, shorter contracts, a higher age limit on incoming players, elimination of the midlevel cap exception and an overall reduction in the players? percentage of revenue. And, Falk said, Stern will probably get what he wants. ?The owners have the economic wherewithal to shut the thing down for two years, whatever it takes, to get a system that will work long term,? he said in an extensive interview to discuss his new book. ?The players do not have the economic wherewithal to sit out one year.? New York Times

?The players lost 40 percent of their salaries, and they got a worse deal in January,? Falk said. ?So as we approach 2011, my overwhelming feeling is, let?s not make the same dumb mistake as in 1998.? The players, he said, must recognize that the owners have the ultimate leverage. Many are billionaires for whom owning an N.B.A. team is merely a pricey hobby. Some of them are losing ?enormous amounts of money? and would rather shut down the league for a year or two than continue with the current system. So Falk is urging the union to take a more cooperative approach. ?And if we don?t do that, in my opinion, there?s an overwhelming probability that the owners will shut it down,? he said. New York Times
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hard cap coming to the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:50:31 PM »
They're all grossly overpaid, owners and players alike.  Yet while some players may not be getting a fair percentage, when Stephon MeBury turns down 18 million a year (make that 1/3rd of a year, a buyout offer) to be freed to play potentially for the championship contending Celtics, opting instead to sit on his arse for 19 million a year, the system is seriously broken.

Q for board.  How many tickets have you purchased lifetime, and how many more do you see yourself purchasing?  In the form of season tickets, stubhub, scalpers, employee contribution share, bought off guy at barstool next to you, whatever.

How many have you gotten for "free"?  Work provided, your cousin Vinny, grandma Edna, Aunt Steven (WoWkoast), traded for computer repair, went as a date of Dancin Barry (WoWkoast), won in a raffle, got from cheerleaders (Reality), bought at booth, Ticketmaster, other.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »
My question is if they want to lower pay and such because they are not making as much money.........

Are they going to lower the costs for a fan to go to the game?  That is part of the problem is it not?  People don't have enough money to go to basketball games because it is pricey for a few hours of fun.   If they lowered prices then more people would show up and there would be more revenue even though they are charging less.  Just a thought, what do you guys think?  They always say that part of the reason ticket prices are so high is because of salaries.  If they drop and cap pay then do we see a freeze or even a drop in the cost to attend the games?

I agree that players are overpaid but I also think that the owners, like Donald Sterling for example, make a pretty penny with out really giving value to the league or their fans.  Like the article says a number of these owners are billionaires and don't care all that much about basketball.  I am all for a hard cap and a reduction in salaries *IF* that means the NBA fan gets some type of benefit. 

How many tickets have I paid for basketball games?  I go usually 4-5 times a year and have for as long as I can remember.  So it's been quite a bit that I've paid for.  I'll continue to show up for games but instead of going a lot in one season I am very picky about when I go.  So far this year?  0.  Last year?  4-5 regular season games AND 2 playoff games.

How many have I got for free?  A lot.  Obviously I didn't pay when I was younger and didn't have a job.  I've received tickets as gifts from my boss and friends.  Also use to have a friend who had season tickets who use to hook me up every once in a while.  I've never had male cheerleaders give them to me like Reality that's for sure.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:12:33 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:14:06 PM »
I've been to:
     Phoenix @ Kansas City - 1979-80 - purchased by my parents (Christmas present)
     Philadelphia @ Kansas City - 1984-85 - I purchased
     Utah @ Atlanta - 1999-2000 - I purchased - with Skander
     Los Angeles Clippers @ Washington - 2000-1 - I purchased
     Utah @ Memphis - 2003-4 - I purchased - with Skander
     Utah @ Memphis - 2004-5 - gift from Caleb - with Caleb
     New York @ Washington - 2005-6 - I purchased
     Los Angeles Clippers @ Portland - 2005-6 - given to me by ziggy
     Utah @ Portland - 2005-6 - given to me by ziggy
     Phoenix @ Minnesota - 2007-8 - I purchased - with Caleb and jn
     Utah @ Chicago - 2007-8 - I purchased     - with Skander and Caleb

Preseason Orlando/Utah in St. Louis - 2003-4 - I purchased - with Skander
     Preseason Seattle/Chicago in Manhattan, KS - 2006-7 - I purchased - with Caleb

11 games and 2 pre-season games.  I purchased both pre-season and 7 of the 11 games.

It's not easy to get to games.  The closest places are Indiana, Chicago, and Memphis...possibly now Oklahoma City.  You're talking a minimum of 7 hours drive to get to any of them. 

The 1981 Suns/Kansas City was an 8 hour drive for my parents...but I just *HAD* to see my Suns.  Still have my ugly orange, purple, and copper hat I got at a Kansas City mall on that trip.

The Washington games were games I went to while I was working in the Carfax Virginia office.

I flew to the Atlanta game - tried to get friends from Birmingham, AL; Savannah, GA; and Knoxville, TN to meet there.

The Portland games were when Carfax sent me to Portland for training.

The *BEST* game?  From a purely excitement perspective, LAC @ Washington.  Went into overtime.  Odom and Keyon Dooling looked good for the Clippers.

Most interesting game:  LAC @ Portland.  ziggy gave me 2nd row, behind-the-Clipper-bench tickets.  I got to see the value of Sam Cassell, hear Dunleavy coaching...really the coolest experience.

Best venue:  Portland - without a doubt.  Their fans don't tolerate lazy players - even if they're Blazers.  Wonderful excitement in the air.
Worst venue:  Atlanta.  The place was a ghost town. 
Most memorable moment:  standing next to Tom Burleson - 7-3 - with a metal brace on his knee that looked *DANGEROUS*.  Made you think of a bear trap.  SCARY.  Seriously.
Biggest surprise:  Minnesota over Phoenix.  Phoenix looked supremely awful.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:23:53 PM »
...got from cheerleaders (Reality), ...

I don't even want to know what you traded for those tickets!  :o

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"