Author Topic: Deadline thread  (Read 11886 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deadline thread
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 12:22:22 AM »
Anyone else think Ed Stefanski's honeymoon ends Thursday at 3PM? I'm not saying he needs to make a deal (I think he should trade Miller) but the man has experienced ZERO heat from this fan base up until this point. After the deadline, I think that changes.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 12:31:40 AM »
Is the fanbase even vocal enough to apply much heat.  The media ignores this team, and will give him a free pass becasue Brand got hurt.

In some ways the Brand signing could end up being a slow motion train wreck.  They won't know if its completely broke for another year.  Even if they come ot poorly again net year there will be talk about needing time to gel and fully recover from his injuries.  And they won't have a PG who has fit in yet.

This team is a year away from being a year away.  fine with the young core... but not such good news with the PG and PF.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 12:39:28 AM »
Well put, tk. I question what the plan is with Stefanski. I'm just not a fan of the mixing up 30+ players with 21 year olds. It's the weirdest mix in the NBA and based on what I hear/read... Ed wants to keep this mix together.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 12:43:54 AM »
I'm just glad that they did not make that move at the draft to get Zach Randolph.  What a loser (did you see his tough guy act against Amundson tonight?)  I honestly worry for that guys life expectancy after the NBA- given his rep in college, stories about him off the court and his basic cluelessness in life.  I really doubt he ever gets his head on straight.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 09:29:21 AM »
I don't think the general fanbase will be upset since their understanding of the future implications of keeping Miller are probably limited.  I am actually in favor of keeping Miller if he would sign a 2 year deal at his current salary with a buy-out/team option on the third.  He would keep us competeitive this year, and hey we are 14-5 in our last 19 games I believe, and he, Brand and Iggy could be the lead dogs on some very good teams for the next few years while Thad, Lou and Speights grow into their bodies and abilities. After those two years, unless Miller is still playing at a high level and the team is a contender, you buy him out the same year that WG, Sammy and Reggie come off the books.  Maybe you look to move Brand at that time too if needed in something like the JO-Marion trade mode.  That summer you have financial flexibility to build around the new, prime time core of Iggy, Thad, Lou and Speights.  Hopefully in those two years we have groomed a draft pick to replace Miller.  I don't mind that mix of veterans and youth at all.

Miller wanting more than 2 years guaranteed blows that whole idea out of the water since by the time he is gone the financial flexibility would be gone in extensions to Thad and possibly Speights. 

I think the general fanbase will be happy if Miller stays because the team will play better this year with him than with any of the replacements I have seen mentioned.  If he stays past the deadline, then this summer becomes Stefanski's time of reckoning, he will need to re-sign or replace Miller with limited resources and find a way to make Brand and Sammy fit together this fall.  With Brand back there will be high expectations again. 

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 10:03:51 AM »
Skates:

The reason there is no extension right now is Miller won't commit to the deal you are suggesting (which is the same deal that I would like to see...two years guaranteed - even at an above-market rate - and a material 3rd year team option/buyout).  He is asking for 4 years guaranteed, and he probably won't accept anything less than 3 years guaranteed with a 4th year buyouot.

I pass...and I hope Eddie does as well.  Let's see if another team out there will give him 4 guaranteed years this summer.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 11:11:51 AM »
Skates:

The reason there is no extension right now is Miller won't commit to the deal you are suggesting (which is the same deal that I would like to see...two years guaranteed - even at an above-market rate - and a material 3rd year team option/buyout).  He is asking for 4 years guaranteed, and he probably won't accept anything less than 3 years guaranteed with a 4th year buyouot.

I pass...and I hope Eddie does as well.  Let's see if another team out there will give him 4 guaranteed years this summer.

I have heard that is the hold up and it is understandable since it may be his last contract.  Of course, he may not get a better deal this summer the way things are going.  I would prefer to overpay him a little for two years, rather than give him the extra years.  I really don't see any way he signs an extension before this summer once the market sets itself, if at all.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 12:17:06 PM »
Signing a 33 year old PG to a 4 year deal is a BAD IDEA.  He already can't guard anybody with quickness on the perimeter.  I want Andre Miller gone so badly.  He needs to go.  I really do think they can get away with playing Iguodala and a combo guard as the starting backcourt and not name a starting PG.  They already do it with Iggy and Lou/Ivey.  Iguodala's good enough to play PG.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »
I think Ed went to the theater to see "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" about 5 too many times. Maybe Ed believes Miller will only get better with time. Of course, this could just be a case of Ed keeping Miller so that Comcast can save money. Ed can offer Miller a low-ball contract and when Miller signs elsewhere, Ed can say, "Well, we were lead to believe that we would have a good chance at keeping him but as negotiations went on... it became evident that Andre wanted to play out West".

Ed saves face with the general public, saves Comcast some money in a tough economy, and begins the PR spin about how Lou Williams has learned for the past 2 and half years from one of the best PGs to wear a Sixers' uni.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »
Man TGP! We don't disagree much, but I have to say that I just don't think the Sixers have much they can do in this case. Their chips aren't GREAT and I just think they're in a tough spot.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 04:47:24 PM »
I think the quandry Stefanski finds himself in is how to replace Miller.  Miller has his limitations, but the team plays well with him and there is a paucity of available, ready to play PG prospects out there.  He has said repeatedly that he does not see Williams as the future answer at PG, a point I agree with, and we have limited trading chips.  If Milwaukee gets rid of Jefferson and Ridnour you can cross Sessions off of the list of possibilities, and we have gone through the list before in other threads of decent, available young PG's and found it to be a pretty thin list.  Crittenton has done nothing to make me believe that he is a future starting PG at three different stops in his short career.  Conley goes back and forth from available suspect to untouchable prospect almost on a weekly basis.  I really think Ed would like to move Miller and get a young PG in return or keep him on a shorter extension than he is currently seeking.  Both seem difficult at best and unlikely in reality.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »
ESPN reporting Nocioni, Gooden, and Simmons to the Kings, Ruffin to the Blazers, Brad Miller, Salmons, Diogu to the Bulls.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »
good deal for chicago

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 08:03:05 PM »
Definitely interesting to see reports that Hinrich might be traded for staggered expirings from Minny.

This would suggest that the Sixers do not want Hinrich, since they could give them a better offer by sending them Miller.

I honestly don't know if Hinrich would have been the best long term answer at PG/SG.  Esp considering his salary would preclude a full MLE addition this summer (barring other moves.)  However something like Hinrich/esp filler for Miller/Green would free up enough space to use the MLE this summer, and Hinrich's contract declines.

We have often talked about Hinrich as a great fit with his shooting and ability to cover SG's, but he has played lousy this year and is not the best pick and roll player.

personalluy, I would play him next to Lou, and have Lou initiarte the Pick and Roll, and have Hinrich spot up on those plays...

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 11:33:12 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the Chandler deal falls through.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3917505 

From a different article somewhere that somebody C+P to me:

The Oklahoma City Thunder doctors have red-flagged a turf toe condition with newly acquired center Tyson Chandler and the New Orleans Hornets trade has been voided, league executives said Wednesday night.

?The doctors told him that he can?t do surgery on the toe, and it could be with him for a couple years,? one league source familiar with injury said. ?It?s not going to end his career, but it could hinder it.?

(Caps Lock Ahead warning)

GET ON THE FUCKING PHONE ED STEFANSKI AND OFFER THEM SAMUEL DALEMBERT NOW.  DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.  DO NOT PASS GO.  DO NOT COLLECT $200.  REPLACE ONE WITH WATSON IF YOU WANT.  I WANT THIS DEAL DONE AND DALEMBERT GONE.  PLEASE ED.  DO IT.

(Caps Lock terminated)

Sorry about that >_>