Author Topic: Robert Horry could be key to trade?  (Read 2674 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Robert Horry could be key to trade?
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:26:46 PM »
I still don't want carter....I hope this does not happen.

Carter deal possible, but is it probable?

NEW YORK - With the All-Star break in their rearviewmirror, the Spurs are in Gotham tonight, preparing to resume their rodeo road trip Tuesday against the Knicks.

For the time being, at least, Vince Carter still resides across the Hudson River in New Jersey.

The Nets forward was at the center of trade talks throughout All-Star Weekend, with one rumored deal having him packing his bags for San Antonio.

That alleged deal - Roger Mason Jr., George Hill, Bruce Bowen and Fab Oberto for Carter - appears to be a non-starter. But there are signs the Spurs are still interested in Carter, and that the Nets are still interested in shopping him.

Teams have until Thursday's trade deadline to pull the trigger on any deal. It should be noted that in recent days, Nets president Rod Thorn has said he doesn't think Carter is going anywhere, and Spurs forward/de facto CEO Tim Duncan has said he wouldn't want to trade half the roster for one scorer.

Still, the Carter-to-Spurs rumor is one that won't die.

The hurdle the Spurs would face in dealing for Carter, or any other high-dollar player, is simple arithmetic.

There are two ways for the Spurs to be able to put together enough in outgoing salaries to clear space on their payroll for Carter's $14.7-million tab.

One option would be for the Spurs to include a high-dollar player of their own - Manu Ginobili or Tony Parker, for instance. We've been assured it will be a snowy day in Laredo before that happens. Those two are all but untouchable.

Another would be to assemble a package multiple, smaller-dollar players, such as in the deal mentioned above. However, a four-for-one trade would force the Nets to waive three of their own players before it is consummated, a step New Jersey might find unpalatable. There is a reason, after all, that in-season, four-for-one trades rarely happen.

Of course, there could be a third option. Robert Horry is still hanging out on his couch in Houston, unofficially retired.

The Spurs could sign him to a contract worth whatever amount is needed to swing a deal for Carter, then include him in the swap. New Jersey would waive him immediately, and Horry could enjoy life as this year's version of Keith Van Horn.

If it were to somehow be executed, a deal for Carter would be the biggest trade-deadline splash the Spurs have made in ... well, maybe ever. It would also be the riskiest. The Spurs would be blowing up a large part of their rotation to add one player, albeit a special one.

The Spurs would be on the hook for Carter's salary this season, plus a combined $33.6 million the next two seasons.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Robert Horry could be key to trade?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »
Carter would take Mason's minutes which IMO weakens the Spurs.  Carter is no where near the defender that Mason is.  And IMO Mason has shown to be more "clutch" than Carter is...even in Vince's dreams.  Then to add in our rookie Hill who is looking like a keeper?  And even Timmy thinks it's a bad decision.

The Spurs tend to NOT telegraph their moves.  My guess is that they are letting the Carter rumors run wild to help cover what they are really after...another big man.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:54:41 AM »
Do you honestly want to see the Spurs pay 17 million for Carter's contract in 2010?  Ack.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »
Do you honestly want to see the Spurs pay 17 million for Carter's contract in 2010?  Ack.

I stated at the top that I still don't want carter and that I hope the trade does not happen. 

In all honesty, If the Spurs can sign Horry to whatever amount to dump cap space why can't they use him in a trade to get a decent big man? 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:33:12 AM »

I stated at the top that I still don't want carter and that I hope the trade does not happen. 

In all honesty, If the Spurs can sign Horry to whatever amount to dump cap space why can't they use him in a trade to get a decent big man? 

Depends what your definition of decent is right now  :D

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »
They can, hence the noise about Brad Miller.  Also some blogger unfounded rumors about 'Sheed becoming a Spur.  Det may well move Sheed as he is gone after this season, but i would think they are getting better offers then what the Spurs would offer.

Agree, would not want to see Mason or Hill go now after what they've shown.  Altho i would do Mason and Hill for Sheed.   The filler cap rumor was adding in Fins, Fabs and Bruce, with Bruce coming back in a release.  Yeah like Det is gonna accomidate all that. :D :D

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »

True. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 12:26:39 PM »

There are a few out there that could help the Spurs...

Miller
Sheed
Kaman
Camby
Foster
Rasho - wouldn't that be funny...but might be the best fit since he knows the system.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 01:01:45 PM »

Miller
Sheed
Kaman
Camby
Foster
Rasho - wouldn't that be funny...but might be the best fit since he knows the system.

Jeff Foster?  I dunno I think that's pushing the term 'quality'

Sheed? Def would help with his shooting and posting up.  Not sure if they would pull the trigger on this.

Kaman and Camby I think have horrible contracts.  Though I think it would be nice for Duncan to have some help in the post on defense from Camby.

Rasho would be funny but I think you might be right about him being the best fit.  Mid-season trades are always tricky because you have to get the player up to speed quickly.  You don't even need to show Rasho around town!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:27:29 PM »

Miller
Sheed
Kaman
Camby
Foster

Sheed? Def would help with his shooting and posting up.  Not sure if they would pull the trigger on this.

Kaman and Camby I think have horrible contracts.  Though I think it would be nice for Duncan to have some help in the post on defense from Camby.

Rasho would be funny but I think you might be right about him being the best fit.  Mid-season trades are always tricky because you have to get the player up to speed quickly.  You don't even need to show Rasho around town!

I read the Sheed rumors, I don't think that would happen.

Would be good to get someone with intensity like him or Camby.  Camby is makie around 8 mill I believe this season - not too bad considering how much carter would cost.  But still the Spurs are suppossed to have a lot of cap space in 2010 - why get rid of that right now??

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »

Miller
Sheed
Kaman
Camby
Foster

You said decent...not quality.   ;)

I would put him on the same level as Rasho and possibly Kaman.
-Moody Blues