Author Topic: Should we take bets on where Amare is going?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Should we take bets on where Amare is going?
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:35:42 AM »
Here are the rumors for where he could go:

Chicago
Miami
New York

He is pretty much as good as gone.  The Suns owner has made it clear that he doesn't want to pay the luxury tax for a team that is not a contender.  The team has also made it clear that they will not move Steve Nash and there is no way teams are going to make a move to get Shaq for a season and a half.  Outside of those two they are not going to be able to quickly rid themselves of big contracts as the rest of their line up is not that tradeable.

Side note:  When does Steve Kerr start calling himself an idiot like he said he would?  Shaq is costing them Amare Stoudamire, more or less.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should we take bets on where Amare is going?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »

Chicago
Miami
New York

He is pretty much as good as gone.  The Suns owner has made it clear that he doesn't want to pay the luxury tax for a team that is not a contender.  The team has also made it clear that they will not move Steve Nash and there is no way teams are going to make a move to get Shaq for a season and a half.  Outside of those two they are not going to be able to quickly rid themselves of big contracts as the rest of their line up is not that tradeable.

Side note:  When does Steve Kerr start calling himself an idiot like he said he would?  Shaq is costing them Amare Stoudamire, more or less.

I have heard a number of different things involving Portland as well, but I doubt it happens. 

I have to say that your characterization that Shaq cost them Amare is a significant leap.  The Suns were winning 62% before Shaq and now they are winning only 58%, so Shaq is costing them 4% in wins.  Correlation is not causation.  Where would they have been with Marion still there?  Would D'Antoni have left without the trade? 
Granted Kerr took a big leap, and he staked his position on doing so, but what would have occurred if he had done nothing?  If Phx would be at the same position in either case, then it is far more likely that Robert Sarver is the reason that Phx is losing Amare, because he sold his future (Luol Deng, Rajon Rondo, Rudy Fernandez, Sergio Rodriguez, plus a couple more #1's due other teams), and basically got Boris Diaw and Robin Lopez for Joe Johnson, because Sarver wasn't willing to step up when he needed to, to resign him.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »

Chicago
Miami
New York

I have heard a number of different things involving Portland as well, but I doubt it happens. 

I have to say that your characterization that Shaq cost them Amare is a significant leap.  The Suns were winning 62% before Shaq and now they are winning only 58%, so Shaq is costing them 4% in wins.  Correlation is not causation.  Where would they have been with Marion still there?  Would D'Antoni have left without the trade? 
Granted Kerr took a big leap, and he staked his position on doing so, but what would have occurred if he had done nothing?  If Phx would be at the same position in either case, then it is far more likely that Robert Sarver is the reason that Phx is losing Amare, because he sold his future (Luol Deng, Rajon Rondo, Rudy Fernandez, Sergio Rodriguez, plus a couple more #1's due other teams), and basically got Boris Diaw and Robin Lopez for Joe Johnson, because Sarver wasn't willing to step up when he needed to, to resign him.

The Blazer deal I have read about (it is hard to miss) is Aldridge, Bayless and LaFrentz for Amare.  Maybe some cash & draft picks.

I agree witrh ziggy that this should be laid at the owner's feet not Kerr's.  Sarver had to beg with Kerr to take the job and IMO Kerr is just doing what Sarver is requesting.  Sarver is more worried about $$$ than he is with wins.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:18:25 PM »

The Blazer deal I have read about (it is hard to miss) is Aldridge, Bayless and LaFrentz for Amare.  Maybe some cash & draft picks.

Here is an article on this from Dwight Jaynes.  I agree with him on this.  I don't see Amare as necessarily adding a lot to our team for just the reasons he details.  We are not a good defensive team, and Amare won't make us better, not by a long ways.  We are already one of the best rebounding teams, so Amare doesn't necessarily help us in that regard.  I am not sure Aldridge will ever be better than Amare, because Amare is pretty darn good, but I just don't see us trading Bayless unless we get a stud PG in return.  He is our future PG.  There is no way we get an elite young PG (Paul, Williams, Harris, Billups, Wade, Calderon, Rondo).  I also don't buy the notion that we actually offered Bayless, Aldrige, and LaFrentz for Amare.  If so it would already be a done deal.

I have heard talk of LaFrentz, Outlaw, Rodriguez, and Freeland for Caron Butler.  That one I think is more in the ballpark.

Are the Blazers going after Stoudemire?
February 11th, 2009 by Dwight Jaynes | 2 Comments | Filed in NBA, Trail Blazers

This story says that Portland is in the thick of the chase for Phoenix?s Amare Stoudemire. I don?t really believe it?s true, at least if the deal is constituted the way it?s reported. In the last two days I think I?ve read stories in the hometown papers of about half the teams in the league saying their team was chasing Stoudemire.

This report says that the Blazers are offering LaMarcus Aldridge, Jerryd Bayless and Raef?s super-expiring contract for Stoudemire.

First off, I don?t see Portland giving up Bayless. Or Aldridge, for that matter. And I?m not sure where Stoudemire fits as a Blazer. He?s an extremely talented offensive player ? but this team is already one of the most efficient offensive teams in the league. He?s a rebounder, but the Blazers are the best rebounding team in the league already.

He?s also a very disinterested defender, and the Blazers are already pretty mediocre on defense. He?s also a guy who needs to run ? and Portland plays at the slowest pace in the league. He just doesn?t strike me as enough of the missing piece for the Blazers to basically push so many of its chips onto the table and go ?all in? for him.

I?m also convinced if this report is true, and the Blazers did, indeed, make that offer, Stoudemire is going to be a Blazer. It?s a great offer because the Suns get two terrific young players and also the massive salary cap relief they?re looking for. In fact, I?d say if Portland really made that offer, the deal would be done already.

I mean, the Suns not only get the cap relief they?re seeking by dumping Amare?s contract (which is probably the biggest thing they?re seeking), they get TWO great young players? Nobody else is offering anywhere near that much.

(Sidebar ? Steve Kerr is a very smart guy. And a nice guy. But has he taken leave of his senses? Trade the 26-year-old superstar and keep the elderly Steve Nash, Shaquille O?Neal and Grant Hill? In a year, Phoenix will be so far from the playoffs it will need a telescope to see them.)

Everyone likes trades. At least that?s my experience. At the very least they like talking about them. There are a good many players out there who would really help the Blazers, but I?m not sure Stoudemire fits as well as a lot of them.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 02:42:36 PM »

Chicago
Miami
New York

Maybe I should have been more clear.  Shaq's CONTRACT is costing them Amare.  Had his salary not been on their books they wouldn't have to move anyone to get under the luxury tax.  Marion's salary ending at the end of this season would have done that.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 03:06:46 PM »
The Kings are very interested in getting Amare. The Kings would have to give up their #1 pick to get him, plus whatever garbage they can scrape off the bench, including the so-called 'untouchable' players on the team, whoever they might be.

The Kings, therefore, have nothing to offer the Suns compared to other teams. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »
The Kings are very interested in getting Amare. The Kings would have to give up their #1 pick to get him, plus whatever garbage they can scrape off the bench, including the so-called 'untouchable' players on the team, whoever they might be.

I don't think the Kings will want to trade Chris Webber or Vlade Divac for him....

er....fail.

Let me ask this to everyone, Where would YOU like to see Amare go?  Personally I want to see him with Derrick Rose in Chi-town.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 05:22:56 PM »

Less basketball talk would do it.
Reach out one more time before you cease and desist.  If you cease and desist.
How about Sam Amick reporting the Kings may pick up Bob Horry in exchange for Salmons or Brad Miller, with the intent of simply buying Bob out thus dumping cap for next year: 

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/019383.html
John Salmons or Brad Miller may very well never play for the San Antonio Spurs, but the mere possibility of how one or the other could get there is worth revealing because of the other name involved.

Robert Horry.

According to a source close to the Spurs, San Antonio has interest in Salmons or Miller and the only way of landing one of them may be by way of the man who so many Kings fans despise. Horry the Kings-killer is not playing and has shown no signs of coming out of retirement, but he may be the only way San Antonio can land Salmons or Miller. The Spurs, according to the source, are considering which player helps them more and trying to figure out what it would take to bring one of them on board. The big three of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are obviously untouchable, and there aren't a whole lot of intriguing or attractive players or contracts beyond that.

Enter Horry, who would re-sign with San Antonio for this season only in a deal worth (insert necessary $ figure here) and then be traded. He would then be waived by the Kings while chuckling on his way out the door with a huge check in hand, with the Kings also possibly taking back Michael Finley (expiring deal worth $2.5 million) and getting out from underneath a contract (Salmons or Miller) they no longer see as part of the big picture plan. Because Horry played last season, I believe it's within the post-retirement timeframe that this sort of deal would still be allowed by the league. The part where this likely falls apart - if it's ever discussed at all - is the Kings wanting more.

San Antonio doesn't have a first-round pick this year, although they could give up second-round picks for 2009 and/or a future first-rounder. Now because Salmons' deal is worth $5.4 next year (with a player option for 2010-11 worth $5.8) and Miller's expires next year at $12.2 million, it is obviously easier to get to Salmons' number (or within the collective bargaining agreement-mandated 125 percent). The Spurs are just one a number of teams looking at the Kings' roster and pondering the possibilities, but the context and history surrounding this one would make this move far more comical than the rest. - Sam Amick

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »

Less basketball talk would do it.
Reach out one more time before you cease and desist.  If you cease and desist.
How about Sam Amick reporting the Kings may pick up Bob Horry in exchange for Salmons or Brad Miller, with the intent of simply buying Bob out thus dumping cap for next year: 

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/019383.html
John Salmons or Brad Miller may very well never play for the San Antonio Spurs, but the mere possibility of how one or the other could get there is worth revealing because of the other name involved.

Robert Horry.

According to a source close to the Spurs, San Antonio has interest in Salmons or Miller and the only way of landing one of them may be by way of the man who so many Kings fans despise. Horry the Kings-killer is not playing and has shown no signs of coming out of retirement, but he may be the only way San Antonio can land Salmons or Miller. The Spurs, according to the source, are considering which player helps them more and trying to figure out what it would take to bring one of them on board. The big three of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are obviously untouchable, and there aren't a whole lot of intriguing or attractive players or contracts beyond that.

Enter Horry, who would re-sign with San Antonio for this season only in a deal worth (insert necessary $ figure here) and then be traded. He would then be waived by the Kings while chuckling on his way out the door with a huge check in hand, with the Kings also possibly taking back Michael Finley (expiring deal worth $2.5 million) and getting out from underneath a contract (Salmons or Miller) they no longer see as part of the big picture plan. Because Horry played last season, I believe it's within the post-retirement timeframe that this sort of deal would still be allowed by the league. The part where this likely falls apart - if it's ever discussed at all - is the Kings wanting more.

San Antonio doesn't have a first-round pick this year, although they could give up second-round picks for 2009 and/or a future first-rounder. Now because Salmons' deal is worth $5.4 next year (with a player option for 2010-11 worth $5.8) and Miller's expires next year at $12.2 million, it is obviously easier to get to Salmons' number (or within the collective bargaining agreement-mandated 125 percent). The Spurs are just one a number of teams looking at the Kings' roster and pondering the possibilities, but the context and history surrounding this one would make this move far more comical than the rest. - Sam Amick

I know your "sources" are your lifeline but this info was posted a few days ago...

http://forums.phillyarena.com/index.php?topic=5378.0
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »
Brad Miller would be an interesting addition for San An.  Salmons...not so much.

As for Amare - I'd expect a sighting in NEW YORK.  He's played under D'Antoni - effectively - and New York needs to have SOMETHING to put out there to make the destination tempting for James.  New York has the expiring contracts to deal, and a young player like a David Lee might make it interesting for Phoenix.

Then again, I'm expecting Sarver to order Stoudemire traded along with 2 first round draft picks in exchange of Raef LaFrentz or the like, a second round pick, and cash.  Phoenix is failing for one reason:  Sarver won't spend the money to keep the team competitive.

Where I'd LIKE to see Stoudemire end up is in New Orleans.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 08:01:44 PM »
We are anticipating both Brad Miller and John Salmon to be traded by the 19th.

Salmon has proven that he is best suited as a role player on a better squad then the Kings, because he is no leader and often ignores the set play for his own choice. He is not good enough to pull that off.

As for Miller, he has no interest in playing any longer for the Kings. None whatsoever. Not even a passing interest. If traded to a playoff team, he probably will get motivated once again and the team getting him will have a player.

But on the Kings, which needs court leadership like no other in the NBA, Miller is a joke. A bad, bad joke. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 09:10:36 PM »
Thanks Jomal.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 01:42:47 AM »

So are you saying you would try to move David West for him if you were the GM?

I just want Stoudamire to go to a team with a PG who can run the pick and roll effectively.  If he ended up in N.O I would be just as happy if he ended up in Chicago.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »
Not at all.  I want to keep West, Chandler, AND Paul, while adding Stoudemire.

The idea is that you bring Chandler off the bench, and start Stoudemire at center, ALONG with West.

Given Phoenix's recent trading history, I'm sure the Hornets would be willing to take Phoenix's first round draft pick for the privilege of taking Stoudemire off of Phoenix's hands.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »

So are you saying you would try to move David West for him if you were the GM?

I just want Stoudamire to go to a team with a PG who can run the pick and roll effectively.  If he ended up in N.O I would be just as happy if he ended up in Chicago.

Hmmm. I'm thinking something along the lines of Boozer and change for Amare. Boozer thinks he's going to get a max contract. But there are actually going to be few teams with the room.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton