Author Topic: Dan, OT. Two bike stories.  (Read 980 times)

jn

Dan, OT. Two bike stories.
« on: April 20, 2004, 11:07:17 AM »
I've bike to work from time to time and always used my $50, rusty piece of junk.  Sure enough the one day I bring my good bike it gets swiped.  Not surprising except when you consider I work at the Government Center in downtown Mpls so it got swiped right in the middle of scores of police, sherrifs, and building security.
 :huh:  

The second was a story from a friend of mine who works on bike races, etc.  She was at a meeting in Switzerland as part of some deal involving Swiss businesses and Gary Fisher.  The meeting took place in some supremely fancy board room with a bunch of stuffy old guys in old school power suits.  My friend was feeling horribly out of place as she was there wearing cheap khakis and casual shirt and the businessmen were looking at her like something they scraped off their shoes.

Then Fisher walked in wearing a purple, pinstriped suit with orange shirt and lime green sneakers and wraparounds. Of course for him the looks of contempt were dismissed and they started kissing his butt.   :D

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 11:16:19 AM »
Sorry to hear about your bike dude, what kind of bike was it?

I met Gary Fisher a couple of times at some NORBA races back in the late 80's early 90's, he has always been a little out there, but hey, if it weren't for him, who's to say where mountain biking would be today, too bad his bikes have become to predictably corporate and uninspired. That's what happens when you stop designing them yourself and let some corporate beaurocracy push the product. That is why I will stick with Cannondale for my full suspension and my totally hand built, custom measured for me, Ritchy Cunningham designed Mantis hardtale when I need a superior climbing and racing bike.
Dan

jn

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 01:26:05 PM »
It was a Giant Rincon.  Not a great bike but good enough for my current needs.  I paid $450 so the loss won't bankrupt me.  

Sounds like you have real top of the line stuff.  I just started a couple years ago so I haven't felt the need spend thousands.  On the other hand my cousin manages a bike parts distribution center so I should probably take advantage of the family discount while I still can.  

On the one hand it's too bad Fisher's stuff may be a little more mundane but I suppose business decisions win out.  I don't know if you know this but the guy who invented in-line skates (Rollerblades) was from MN.  Obviously he was a brilliant designer but tried to handle all of the business matters himself and Rollerblade ended up going bankrupt as a result.