Author Topic: NBA teams that might crash the "Fab 4 Playoff Party"? Does Rick work for ESPN?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
PER Diem: Jan. 21, 2009Comment Email Print  By John Hollinger

We've talked about the best ? now let's talk about the rest.

Four teams dominated the league in the first half of the season, and those four have held down the top four spots in the Power Rankings in some order for several weeks now. That leaves us with the nagging possibility that there are only four legitimate title contenders out there, with everyone else just hoping to get lucky.

But we've still got half a season to play, and several teams have yet to show us what they can do at full strength. So here's a quick look at the teams, in order, that I think have the best shot of breaking through and turning the league's Fantastic Four into a Fabulous Five.

1. Utah Jazz: They've held down the fort through the season's first half (25-17) pretty well, which is impressive considering they haven't had their best players healthy at the same time. Between Deron Williams' ankle and Carlos Boozer's hamstring, as well as several other less prominent injuries, Utah has relied on its superior depth to carry it through the first half.

Boozer could be back for the season's final month or two, which would be a huge boost. And even if he isn't, Williams is back to playing like the Williams of old, and it's showing in the Jazz's recent results. Despite the injuries, the Jazz are also defending better than they ever have in the post-Stockton-Malone era, ranking 10th in defensive efficiency.

Utah has been as high as No. 5 in the Power Rankings and is currently No. 9 even without Boozer; should he come back, I'd still argue this is the one team that can legitimately say it can match the Lakers talent-wise and come out of the West.

2. Houston Rockets: Will they? Probably not. But could they? Absolutely. The Rockets are 26-16, 11th in the Power Rankings and projected for 49 wins by today's Playoff Odds ? without having their top six players healthy at the same time at any point this season. While doubts linger over whether Tracy McGrady can come back -- and if so, what he can provide -- there remains a healthy respect for his ability to break down defenses and create shots.

Moreover, one can't as easily dismiss the likelihood of Ron Artest's making a healthy return, joining the newly returned Shane Battier and Brent Barry to fortify Houston's wing rotation. With the way Yao Ming and their role players are playing, the Rockets don't need that huge a boost from their injured wings to make the leap to elite status.

3. San Antonio Spurs: Perhaps I'm overrating them based on their history -- after some early injuries, they've had all hands on deck for quite a while now, and yet both the Playoff Odds (51 wins) and Power Rankings (10th) seem mighty unimpressed.

Here's the thing: Their history of second-half surges seems relevant given that this is the same cast they've had on hand on the past several seasons. Gregg Popovich's recent "We suck on D" proclamation seems to be the clarion call to rally the troops for February.

On the other hand, San Antonio has already played the easy part of its schedule and is showing its age on several fronts -- most notably in the decline of defensive ace Bruce Bowen, which is one reason the Spurs are a distant fourth in defensive efficiency rather than their usual perch in the top two. San Antonio probably needs another quality big before the trade deadline before it can outmatch the likes of a healthy Jazz or Rockets team, let alone the Lakers.

4. Denver Nuggets: Though third in the West at 28-15, Denver is another team that probably needs to land an extra quality big man before it can make a legitimate case for jumping into the league's upper crust. But with two All-Star-caliber performers in Chauncey Billups and Carmelo Anthony, and a third player having an All-Star-caliber season in center Nene, Denver has a lot of the pieces already in place.

When both Billups and Anthony play, the team is 21-9, and that was when Anthony was struggling with his shot because of an elbow injury. That's going to get some time to heal thanks to his current broken hand, which could position the Nuggies to make a big surge after the All-Star break.

5. Philadelphia 76ers: OK, now we're scraping the barrel -- Philly finished the first half a game under .500. I suppose I could have put New Orleans or Phoenix here, but I get the impression that we've seen about all they can do, and that's not enough to scare anyone in the top four.

Of the remaining teams, it seems to me this is the one that has the best chance of surprising us and making a huge push in the second half. With apologies to my hometown Hawks, it's also the only East team that I see as a threat to the top three in that conference.

Of course, they could also give us a different kind of surprise, much as they did in the season's opening weeks. But when Elton Brand returns in the coming days, one has to think that it will benefit the team and that they'll keep running the way they did in his absence. As I've discussed here before, the key tweak would be to play him at center, where Samuel Dalembert has been brutal, and leave spots one through four for the greyhounds. If they do that, the Sixers could still live up to the preseason expectations.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I've noticed something with John Hollinger.  Normally he goes strictly based on stats.  That is his lane.  At times he says off the wall, random things to excite people.

The Sixers literally have no shot at beating Orlando AND Boston AND Cleveland.  Yet he's seen everything he could from the Hornets and it's not good enough.....yet they ran through all the teams last year in their conference except the Lakers...hmmm
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
3. San Antonio Spurs: is showing its age on several fronts -- most notably in the decline of defensive ace Bruce Bowen, which is one reason the Spurs are a distant fourth in defensive efficiency rather than their usual perch in the top two.
Bowen has been playing very well defensively.  Retard Pop has limited his minutes in favor of amoung other Finley.

Try watching a game Hollinger.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
3. San Antonio Spurs: is showing its age on several fronts -- most notably in the decline of defensive ace Bruce Bowen, which is one reason the Spurs are a distant fourth in defensive efficiency rather than their usual perch in the top two.
Bowen has been playing very well defensively.  Retard Pop has limited his minutes in favor of amoung other Finley.

Ever think that chasing around the best athletes in the country for 40 minutes a game in your mid 30s takes a toll on your body?

Reminds me of a famous Matthew Mcconaughey line "I keep getting older and they keep staying the same age"
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
"I keep getting older and they keep staying the same age"

Classic.... 8)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile

Ever think that chasing around the best athletes in the country for 40 minutes a game in your mid 30s takes a toll on your body?

I thought it was pretty obvious that Pop is keeping Bowen "fresh" for the playoffs, much like he's done for TD over the YEARS.  But you never know with Pop and that dog house of his......not to mention Pop was probably doing a little experimentation to see what might work in the playoffs.  I don't think you get a parade for winning games in January so I figure Pop is looking ahead.....
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

I thought it was pretty obvious that Pop is keeping Bowen "fresh" for the playoffs, much like he's done for TD over the YEARS.  But you never know with Pop and that dog house of his......not to mention Pop was probably doing a little experimentation to see what might work in the playoffs.  I don't think you get a parade for winning games in January so I figure Pop is looking ahead.....

That's part of it.  Also Roger Mason has turned out to be a good perimeter defender.  And his offense is light years ahead of Bowen.  Honestly though, Bowen has lost a half-a-step but is still good for 18-20 minutes a game.  Maybe more.  Starting with the Suns game on Christmas...if you pull a Reality and read boxscores...you will see that against contenders Pop has started to use a shorter rotation.  It is one of the ways you can judge who Pop considers serious contenders in the league.

And then the critical thing to watch is who Pop uses for the last 8 minutes of a game...especially a close one.  I have seen him situational sub Mason/Bowen down the stretch in a couple games recently.

And for all their struggles and horrible stats according to Hollinger's formulas; the Spurs still have the 5th best record in the league.  And except for the Hornets they have 2+ games separation in the loss column.  I just keep hoping that the Hornets slip to the 4th seed so that the Spurs wouldn't have to play both them and the Lakers in the playoffs like last year.  Let NO & LA battle it out in the second round while SA gets Denver (NW div leader).
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
I just keep hoping that the Hornets slip to the 4th seed so that the Spurs wouldn't have to play both them and the Lakers in the playoffs like last year.  Let NO & LA battle it out in the second round while SA gets Denver (NW div leader).

The seedings will be interesting.  Unlike most, I really think the Suns could cause problems for the Lakers in the playoffs.  Shaq will be there in every game because there are no B2B games so I think they have the Lakers front line covered.  The Kobe/Fisher front court is only on par with the Nash/Richardson combo because of Kobe so overall the Suns backcourt has better balance.  What's going to have to be clicking is the Lakers bench because IMO the starters can almost be called a draw.  The worst case scenario for the Lakers would be a playoff run that goes Suns/Hornets/Spurs because the Lakers could lose in any round, IMO the Hornets being the best matchup for the Lakers and the easiest one to put in the Lakers W column.  I really have no doubt the Lakers would beat Denver or Dallas and I think the Rockets will not be healthy enough to compete.  The Jazz are the only team in the league that has as much talent as the Lakers right now so I don't know what's going to happen with that match up but I'm pretty sure the Lakers would take them as well.  It made me nervous how easily the Jazz owned the Lakers on the boards, hopefully Bynum will help in that department.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

That's part of it.  Also Roger Mason has turned out to be a good perimeter defender.  And his offense is light years ahead of Bowen.  Honestly though, Bowen has lost a half-a-step but is still good for 18-20 minutes a game.  Maybe more.  Starting with the Suns game on Christmas...if you pull a Reality and read boxscores...you will see that against contenders Pop has started to use a shorter rotation.  It is one of the ways you can judge who Pop considers serious contenders in the league.

And then the critical thing to watch is who Pop uses for the last 8 minutes of a game...especially a close one.  I have seen him situational sub Mason/Bowen down the stretch in a couple games recently.

And for all their struggles and horrible stats according to Hollinger's formulas; the Spurs still have the 5th best record in the league.  And except for the Hornets they have 2+ games separation in the loss column.  I just keep hoping that the Hornets slip to the 4th seed so that the Spurs wouldn't have to play both them and the Lakers in the playoffs like last year.  Let NO & LA battle it out in the second round while SA gets Denver (NW div leader).
Bowen playing 6 minutes vs the Lakers in the 112-111 squeaker was just genius.  But Bowen was doing fine on Kobe as he pretty much always does, Kobster himself calling Bowen the best defender by far against him.  While Mike Findawg did 28 or so.  Not that Findawg was  playing his often usual horrible defense, he upped it to "just below average" for that recent Lakers game. 

Cousin Lurker, a Lakers dream come true....

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Good team's play shows up in the stats before it shows up in their record.  The Sixers started playing well enough that they started beating teams by the types of margins that elite teams do.  That doesn't mean that they will continue to play that way, but it doesn't mean that they won't either.

You might think it was a fluke that they beat San Antonio by 20, or smashed the Trail Blazers. Or that it was a weakness of schedule that allowed them to win 7 of their last 8, and those wins against the good teams were just one time lucky breaks.

One might even use reverse logic and say that since they did all this without Elton Brand, signing him was a mistake and the Sixers will now start to lose since Brand will start playing again.

I say we'll know more after they play New Orleans and Houston. Even Orlando who looked to be the hottest team in the league, got smashed by the Boston Celtics. It doesn't matter how the Sixers do against the also-rans, it matters how well they play against the Celtics and the Cavaliers.

In the meantime, the Sixers should continue to get better, as they learn to integrate Elton into their running game and their half-court offense.  They'll continue to try and force turnovers, steal the ball and get out on the fast-break. Eventually they'll play a good team who won't turn the ball over, and they'll be forced to execute in the half-court. Then we'll see how Brand does when he has three point shooters and slashers around him in the post.

Why try to project what they will or won't do against elite teams until they play them?  We'll find out soon enough. Hollinger's right at the moment.