Author Topic: The (not so) Curious Case Of Rigged Oscars (spoilers)  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The (not so) Curious Case Of Rigged Oscars (spoilers)
« on: January 22, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »
Anyone see THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, and if so what is your take?
Nominated for 97 Oscars.

My review: (spoilers)
Attempts to be a Forrest Gump-Fried Green Tomatoes clone. Fails.

You know the premiss, Brad Pitt aka Benjy is born old and grows younger at the same rate one would age (year for year).
Born about 90, so when 7 years old that makes him physically 83.  A picnic is held, and there Benjy is enamored with the love of his life, 7 year old red haired blue eyed Daisy.  Cut to other scenes....

After plodding thru an hour of mostly boring side scenes including Benjy working on a tugboat, complete with Brad Pitt doing a Southern retard accent worse then Tom Hanks (yes, it's possible), finally Benjy and Daisy are about the same age. He had been pining for her ever since that age 7 encounter. They finally get together when he is about 49, she 43.  They frolic day and night for a couple years.  Finally she gets pregnant, a year later they have a beautiful baby girl. When the girl hits one year old, Pitt says he is leaving. Bub bye. No emotion, nothing. "I'm leaving". "Why" Daisy asks!!??
"Because i dont want her to see me get young."
  Oh okay, even tho you could spend about 20 more years with her, certainly parent her thru childhood, as it will be about 20 more years before you age backwards to about 25 years old, you want to abandon your baby and wife now?  Real loving.  He leaves, setting out for some around the world adventure which in Brad Pittspeak means he goes to Nepal and India and hangs out with the retreat monk types.

Benjy has to come back when the girl is 12, after wife/mom Daisy has remarried and Benjy an adulterous night with her. Who wrote this crap, Anjie Joline?  Oh and the baby girl never was told Benjy was her father until she was about 45 yrs old sitting at her Mom Daisys deathbed.  Real openess.

It was a stinker.  Average at best, that's being kind.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The (not so) Curious Case Of Rigged Oscars (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »
If you liked it, feel free to post as such.

Xtra Sports 570 in L.A. used to have a guest who would pick the Oscar winners every year for every catagorie.  His percentage what phenominal, hitting like 85% + every year.  Host Steve Hartman puts money down (apparantly you can bet on this in Vegas) and cashes in every single year.

Maybe WoW or one of the others truly living in the LA area can verify if Hartman still has this guest come on.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »
If you liked it, feel free to post as such.

Xtra Sports 570 in L.A. used to have a guest who would pick the Oscar winners every year for every catagorie.  His percentage what phenominal, hitting like 85% + every year.  Host Steve Hartman puts money down (apparantly you can bet on this in Vegas) and cashes in every single year.

Maybe WoW or one of the others truly living in the LA area can verify if Hartman still has this guest come on.

Xtra Sports 570 has gone through a major reorganization, they were merged with FoxSports Radio, so I'm not sure where Hartman ended up.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »
He's still on the radio.  He does the Loose Cannons show still.  Though I don't know if he still has the oscar guy come on.  I only catch their show sometimes.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
The Wrestler and Gran Torino are the two dramas I want to see right now.   
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:18:59 AM »
Yes jn let me know if Gran Torino has any depth to it or its just another Clint revenge.

Are these confirmed lame by anyone?  Or suprisingly good?
Yes Man
Mall Cop

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »
Yes jn let me know if Gran Torino has any depth to it or its just another Clint revenge.

Are these confirmed lame by anyone?  Or suprisingly good?
Yes Man
Mall Cop

Do you even have to ask?  IMO LAME!!!!  Yes Man did not even have anything remotely funny in the previews and IMO Mall Cop blew it's whole wad in the previews.  I could be wrong about Mall Cop but I almost never see a non-sci-fi pic in the theaters anyway.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:55 PM »
Caught The Wrestler last night.   Pretty good.  The reviews are correct in that Mickey Rourke was the perfect person for the role.  He's such a **** in real life I almost hestitated to give him my money but it was a good movie. 

Also, what is the deal with Marisa Tomei and nudity?  Before the Devil Knows Your Dead, Factotum and now this!  It's like now that Helen Mirren is old Tomei is going to seize the title of queen of legitmate actresses who constantly get naked.  Not that I'm complaining mind you, but it was really over the top in this movie.  She plays a stripper so she's probably naked for a good 10 - 15 minutes of screen time.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 04:00:13 PM »
Does anyone here really watch and follow the Oscars?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »
I just try and watch for the big stuff.  You know, outstanding Gaffer in a Foreign Documentary, Best Best Boy, Least Awful Athlete Turned Actor, that type of thing.

Seriously, I don't believe I've watched even a minute of the Oscars or anything like it for 20 years, and even then I didn't sit and watch the whole thing.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »
Does anyone here really watch and follow the Oscars?

I only listen to the Howard Stern recap of the Oscars.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »
Seriously, I don't believe I've watched even a minute of the Oscars or anything like it for 20 years, and even then I didn't sit and watch the whole thing.

My girlfriend's an actress, so she makes a big deal out of it.  I think awards show are absolutely atrocious.  A bunch of people who constantly need to be told how good they are telling each other how good they are.  While we're in a recession, they're parading out in muilt-thousand dollar dresses "finally getting the recognition they deserve".