Author Topic: LeBron has major flaws in his game....  (Read 5055 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
LeBron has major flaws in his game....
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »
Rick Barry On LeBron: 'He Has Major Flaws'

Jan 21, 2009 4:50 PM EST

Former NBA great Rick Barry had some pointed comments for LeBron James during an interview with Comcast SportsNet Bay Area that will air on Wednesday night.

"He's got major flaws in his game," Barry said. "He's six years into the NBA. How can a man six years into the NBA with his talent have a major flaw in his shot? How can he not use screens effectively? . . I watch the game very carefully - he doesn't use screens effectively and this is not LeBron's fault. It's the fault of the people who are teaching him. . . . There is no doubt in my mind that LeBron, if shown these things would do them, because he wants to be a great player, he wants to win a championship. As great as he is, he should be better."

Anybody catch the rest of the interview?

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: LeBron has major flaws in his game....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »

Former NBA great Rick Barry had some pointed comments for LeBron James during an interview with Comcast SportsNet Bay Area that will air on Wednesday night.

"He's got major flaws in his game," Barry said. "He's six years into the NBA. How can a man six years into the NBA with his talent have a major flaw in his shot? How can he not use screens effectively? . . I watch the game very carefully - he doesn't use screens effectively and this is not LeBron's fault. It's the fault of the people who are teaching him. . . . There is no doubt in my mind that LeBron, if shown these things would do them, because he wants to be a great player, he wants to win a championship. As great as he is, he should be better."

Why?

Barry is just a jealous liar.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:35:23 AM »

Why?

Barry is just a jealous liar.

I guess Yahoo is a jealous liar as well since they are posting his "flawed" FT and 3PT shooting percentages......

I give guys a pass on bad shooting mechanics when they are good shooters, ala Reggie Miller/Vinnie Johnson, but it seems that Barry might have a point.  LeBron's overall FG% is decent because he takes the ball to the hoop so much but it does seem like his mid and long range game might have a problem.  I will be watching the 2nd best player in the league a little more closely so see if he is truely "King" James.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »
Watched LeBron last night.  Major flaws???  Hah!!!  He is unbelievable.  He could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, against whomever he wanted, however he wanted.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »
Watched LeBron last night.  Major flaws???  Hah!!!  He is unbelievable.  He could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, against whomever he wanted, however he wanted.

Except win a game at the FT line.  Winning a game with a jumper is also a tough act for LeBron.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:59:55 AM »
LeBron's career points per game, rebounds, assists, overall shooting percentage, blocks, and assists to turnover ratio are all better then Bryant's.

So looking for flaws in LeBron's game at this point regarding free throw and three point shooting percentages is not only extremely necessary, but important for NBA pundits like Barry and ESPN, otherwise the King would be elevated above all others for all time, and they are not ready to compare him to Jordan, who can not be touched.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:00:57 PM »

Except win a game at the FT line.  Winning a game with a jumper is also a tough act for LeBron.

It hasn't always happened for Kobe either, who has missed more game winners then he has made in his career. A Robert Horry he is not.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:33:27 PM »
It hasn't always happened for Kobe either, who has missed more game winners then he has made in his career. A Robert Horry he is not.

Same story with MJ and Horry.  Only one player in NBA history has made more game winners than missed game winners.  That's a pretty good trivia question....any takers.....(although I did read that the stat was being disputed because in the end ZERO players in NBA history made more than missed).

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:41:25 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »
I've got no clue, so I'll give it a go?

Guess number 1:  Jerry West
Guess number 2:  Reggie Miller
Guess number 3:  Sam Jones
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »
LeBron's career points per game, rebounds, assists, overall shooting percentage, blocks, and assists to turnover ratio are all better then Bryant's.

So looking for flaws in LeBron's game at this point regarding free throw and three point shooting percentages is not only extremely necessary, but important for NBA pundits like Barry and ESPN, otherwise the King would be elevated above all others for all time, and they are not ready to compare him to Jordan, who can not be touched.  

Wait...what does Kobe have to do with this debate?

Lebron is a beast with out his jumper.  I don't think it's a major flaw.  Though it is a flaw.  A major flaw is something that really holds you back from being great.  Lebron is a great player with out it.  He may not ever develop a nice jumper but he may not need to either.   Allen Iverson is getting up there in age and is still able to rely on his athletic ability.  Given that LBJ is a freak of nature in that department I'll just assume he can live off that and make a hell of a run in this league.  OR he will continue to work on it and develop one.  Plenty of players have been taught to shoot better in this league after they had a handful of seasons under their belt.

Oh...back to Kobe.  Lebron's jumper is not nice as Kobe's is.  Regardless of what stats you want to bring up.  Not debatable.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:48:09 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »
Wait...what does Kobe have to do with this debate?

You're such a slow learner...when it comes to JoMal and Reality...it's all about Kobe.

For JoMality, every second of every minute, every minute of every hour, every hour of every day, every day of every week, every week of every month, every month of every year is about KOBE! 

It also carries over to every comment in every topic, every topic on every board, every board on the internet is about KOBE!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 12:57:06 PM »
I've got no clue, so I'll give it a go?

Guess number 1:  Jerry West
Guess number 2:  Reggie Miller
Guess number 3:  Sam Jones

I can't find the source of the ESPN story but they stated that only Magic was above 500 on game winners over his entire career.  I've seen some sites that have Melo at 60+% and Shaq around 50% and the next closest players around 38%.  On those lists Kobe is above LeBron but they are both below 25%.  I read somewhere that there are a few guys that have taken only 1 or 2 game winners and they are 100%  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 01:25:55 PM »
Interesting.  I guess I've missed those major flaws.  Probably too distracted by all the winning Lebron does.   

westkoast got it right.  A major flaw is something that holds you back from succeeding.  Not being a 6'8" black John Stockton when it comes to using picks doesn't seem like a major flaw.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
Interesting.  I guess I've missed those major flaws.  Probably too distracted by all the winning Lebron does.   

westkoast got it right.  A major flaw is something that holds you back from succeeding.  Not being a 6'8" black John Stockton when it comes to using picks doesn't seem like a major flaw.

About 99% of NBA players would trade their game for LeBrons "flawed" game.....  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 02:07:58 PM »
No kidding WOW.

I did a quick search on Rick Barry and came up with this quote from a former CBS producer regarding Barry as an announcer.  Keep in mind this was from 1983!

"I sometimes got the impression that Rick took so much care to criticize star players to validate his own career by comparison."
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes