Author Topic: Lakers vs Spurs 01/14/09  (Read 4786 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers vs Spurs 01/14/09
« on: January 14, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »
Unlike the druken masses, I think the Spurs are the biggest threat to the Lakers title run in the Western Conference.  It looks like the other team I thought could "punk" the Lakers is going to continue it's injury riddled pattern down in Houston.

The Spurs look a bit younger and stronger except when it comes to helping TD in the paint.  Based on how poorly the Lakers played last night I think the Spurs win this one by double digits going away.  This isn't one of those "jinx" things, I just think the Lakers don't do well against a solid defense and the Lakers get murdered by penetration, especially from the PG position.  What I will be interested to see is how the Lakers handle a semi-healthy Manu.  I really want to see how Ariza deals with Manu and possibly Parker.  I will also be interested at how the Lakers front line deals with the physical Spurs.

I will definately be watching this game are least recording it for future reference.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers vs Spurs 01/14/09
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:55:25 PM »
This is the part where I choose some super, end of the bench scrub on the Lakers squad to hype up right?  Josh Powell is going to put a hurting on Tim Duncan tonight!

Considering that Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol had pretty average games last night I expect them to bounce back.   99-94 will be the ending score of the game with the Lakers taking the W on the back of Phenomenal-Powel.  The Lakers have been pretty solid on back to backs this year and I don't see that trend slipping yet.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »
This is the part where I choose some super, end of the bench scrub on the Lakers squad to hype up right?  Josh Powell is going to put a hurting on Tim Duncan tonight!

Considering that Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol had pretty average games last night I expect them to bounce back.   99-94 will be the ending score of the game with the Lakers taking the W on the back of Phenomenal-Powel.  The Lakers have been pretty solid on back to backs this year and I don't see that trend slipping yet.

wk, your cluelessness regarding the Lakers continues to amaze me.  How can you pick Josh as "da man" when we have the Chineese Magic Johnson sitting in the chair right next to the end of the bench just aching to go "Hall of Famer" all over the Spurs areses!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
The Lakers will win by a mile.  Popa-cement will end up playing the 4th quarter with only 4 scrubs so that he can prevent injury to any of the starters.  So even though the Spurs will have a 20 point lead entering the final quarter, Kobe by himself will outscore Pop's offensive quagmire by 30 in the 4th alone.

Non-reality version...

The game will go down to the wire with the team making fewer mistakes in the last 2-3 minutes pulling out the victory.  Which of course will determine who wins the WCF.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:59 PM »
Interesting read:

http://48minutesofhell.blogspot.com/2009/01/reflections-on-rival-los-angeles-lakers.html

Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Reflections on a Rival: The Los Angeles Lakers

This is the first edition of a new feature here at 48 Minutes of Hell entitled "Reflections on a Rival." Some teams deserve more than a discussion of a single match-up. The Lakers are one of those teams.

During the last decade the San Antonio Spurs have been one of the most successful franchises in all of professional sports. 4 Championships. A playoff appearance every year since the 97-98 season. No first round exits during that stretch. It is a legacy of dominance that most fans dream of and few have the pleasure of experiencing. And yet these glorious years have not come without their fair share of pain. And more often than not, that pain has been caused by the boys in purple and gold.

In the 5 meetings between Gregg Popovich and Phil Jackson in the post-season, Popovich has only managed to walk away with a single series victory. Although the Lakers have failed to finish the job as often as the Spurs (earning only 3 rings over the same decade long stretch despite 5 trips to the finals), they are the only franchise whose achievements even compare. They are without a doubt our arch-enemy.

In the regular season, our fortunes have been more evenly matched. During Popovich's and Jackson's joint tenures, SA and LA have evenly split the 34 regular season games they have played against one another. This is a pretty uncommon statistic for the Spurs: I can assure you no other franchise has a better postseason than regular season record against us.

There are any number of key match-ups this evening, so I'll go through them one-by-one:

Parker vs. Fisher

Derek Fisher is a good defender. Both physical and crafty, he can keep up with men several years younger than him (for instance, Fisher has drawn 32 offensive fouls this season, the most of any NBA player. He led the league last year with 55). The official scouting report on the Parker-Fisher match-up is that Fisher, at age 34, cannot keep up with Parker's quickness. But in all honesty, Fisher did a decent job combating the elusive frenchman during last season's playoff series.

The key difference in this game compared to the '08 Western Conference Finals will be Parker's improved jump shot. He is nailing his mid-range looks at a much higher rate than last season and that is making him considerably more difficult to defend. If Fisher can no longer play off him or confidently go under the pick to prevent the dribble-drive, I am not sure he will be able to prevent penetration as successfully (or even funnel Parker into the waiting arms of LA's shot blockers).

Lamar Odom vs. Ime Udoka

Udoka hasn't seen the minutes this year that he was getting at the end of last season and rightfully so: His play has fallen off a tad. But he may see a decent amount of time this evening as no Spur matches up as well against Lamar Odom as Udoka. He has the size to bang with Lamar on the block. He has the quickness to pursue him to the perimeter. No other Spur has the ability to handle both these assignments. I can't be positive this is the decision Popovich will make, but I strongly believe it is the right one.

Thomas/Bonner/Oberto vs. Bynum/Gasol

The frontcourt combination of Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol is the full-throated manifestation of the Spurs' worst fears. Tim and I have talked extensively about our concerns regarding our frontcourt depth and the Lakers big men are exactly the reason why. In recent weeks we've increasingly noted the Spurs' struggles on the glass and there is no reason to expect that to improve in anyway this evening.

I would say "expect Thomas to see some solid minutes," but I'm not positive that will be Popovich's approach. Instead of going head-to-head with Bynum and Gasol, Pop may try to subvert their size by playing surprisingly small lineups and unashamedly gambling our chances at victory on the rate our 3-pointers are falling. In all honesty, I am not sure I have a better prescription. We have never faced the two of them together. During the recap I'll be sure to include extended thoughts on how we chose to approach this situation.

Kobe Bryant

When you figure out how to stop Kobe Bryant, you give me a call.

Closing Thoughts

Tonight is going to be a tough game. The Lakers are the only team in the Western Conference that is definitively better than the Spurs and they create match-up problems for us all over the floor. But despite that fact this remains a very winnable game. Relax and enjoy it. One day, many years from now, we will all look back and pine for the days when players like Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan roamed the courts of Los Angeles and San Antonio. Win or lose, these are two great teams and it has been a pleasure to watch them do battle all these years. The game starts at 9 Eastern/8 Central on ESPN.

Posted by Graydon at 10:53 AM   
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:10:06 PM »

wk, your cluelessness regarding the Lakers continues to amaze me.  How can you pick Josh as "da man" when we have the Chineese Magic Johnson sitting in the chair right next to the end of the bench just aching to go "Hall of Famer" all over the Spurs areses!

I actually was going to say his name but I forgot it and didn't want to go look it up.  Josh Powell it is!  Though to be fair he is not a scrub.  He is on a stacked team and doesn't get to play much.  He has a nice jumper and is a solid rebounder though.

I have a feeling the Lakers are going to get TORCHED by Tony Parker tonight.  With Farmar and Sasha gone there is no way that Fisher is going to get the rest he needs to even come close to staying near Parker.  Though I do expect to see Ariza or maybe even Kobe on Parker for a stretch with Fisher guarding Bowen.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:34:21 PM »
Nice win Spurs fans.  Nothing to really complain about, Lakers played well the Spurs just played better.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:37:05 PM »
I actually was going to say his name but I forgot it and didn't want to go look it up.  Josh Powell it is!  Though to be fair he is not a scrub.  He is on a stacked team and doesn't get to play much.  He has a nice jumper and is a solid rebounder though.

I have a feeling the Lakers are going to get TORCHED by Tony Parker tonight.  With Farmar and Sasha gone there is no way that Fisher is going to get the rest he needs to even come close to staying near Parker.  Though I do expect to see Ariza or maybe even Kobe on Parker for a stretch with Fisher guarding Bowen.

Not much defense played tonight.  Spurs almost gave this one away, Manu got very little touches when the Spurs went dry.  Better execution by the Spurs in the last minute of the game.  TD hit a birthday shot to put them up by 1, after that the Spurs just played Spurs basketball.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 02:45:21 AM »
Nice win Spurs fans.  Nothing to really complain about, Lakers played well the Spurs just played better.

Mason really seems to like taking the big shot at the end of big games it seems.  Nice to win when you don't expect to.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:00:56 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 09:49:04 AM »
The Lakers will win by a mile.  Popa-cement will end up playing the 4th quarter with only 4 scrubs so that he can prevent injury to any of the starters.  So even though the Spurs will have a 20 point lead entering the final quarter, Kobe by himself will outscore Pop's offensive quagmire by 30 in the 4th alone.
When could that ever happen?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280521013

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 09:50:56 AM »
Spurs almost gave this one away,
When could that ever happen?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
B-Rad n WoWkoastie trying to act all cutesy before the game re Josh Powell.  Then getting self owned -yet again- when Powell really was a huge role factor.
Well que skirt off... :D :D

You two are money in the self owning dept.  Place bets and let the cash cow roll. ;) :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:54:34 AM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 03:53:53 PM »
B-Rad n WoWkoastie trying to act all cutesy before the game re Josh Powell.  Then getting self owned -yet again- when Powell really was a huge role factor.

You two are money in the self owning dept.  Place bets and let the cash cow roll. ;) :D

LOL!  You didn't get it did you?  Your game is weak Fabbs!  OWNED!  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »

LOL!  You didn't get it did you?  Your game is weak Fabbs!  OWNED!  

He didn't get it.  Which makes it even more funny than it originally was.  Talk about pure stupidity.    :D :D :D :D :D

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »
He didn't get it.  Which makes it even more funny than it originally was.  Talk about pure stupidity.    :D :D :D :D :D

I've noticed he brings SpursTalk stuff (stats,comments,pics) over here to TRY and debate some posters around here.  Reality should just tell those guys to post here instead of trying to pass their stuff off as his own.

No wonder he doesn't get it, he's just a parrot!  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"