Author Topic: OT: Who wants to geek out about computers??  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
OT: Who wants to geek out about computers??
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:37:28 PM »
The time has come to start maybe, potentially, upgrading the ole' gaming rig, hopefully?

I researched two bundles:

First:
Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Corsair XMS3 3 x 1 GB, DDR3 (1333)
Price Tag:  $595

Second:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz
Asus P5Q SE
Corsair XMS2 2 x 2 GB, DDR2 (800)
Price Tag:  $370

The following will be added to either bundle I choose:

Sapphire 100251SR Radeon HD4870 X 2, 2 GB, 512 bit, GDDR5
Corsair 750W PSU
Noctua 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
Price Tag:  $650

The obvious question is whether the Core i7 is worth the $230 bump in price over the Core 2 Quad?  Also I'm wondering whether the Radeon HD4870 X 2 is overkill.  Has anyone messed with late generation GPUs, are the heat problems real enough for me to invest in water blocks or the like.  I'm also wondering whether the Noctua CPU Cooler ($70) is necessary or just stick with whatever Intel Stock heatsink comes with the processor?

Since my tech savviness is extremely limited.  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: OT: Who wants to geek out about computers??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:44:10 PM »
Also, while everyone is evaluating Skander's choices, please make recommendations for *MY* new system - which should be a step better than what he's ordering.  I'll be ordering it exactly two weeks after he orders his system!

<grin>

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »
huh? 

I guess no one. :P
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:18:59 PM »
Can we also get a run down of games you play the most and the game you are gearing up for?  How can we tell if anything is overkill unless you tell us what games you are playing.  If you are still playing Starcraft then yea, everything is overkill  :D

Personally I am not a fan a huge fan of Asus boards.  While I've got lucky with one I've had a few go out.  Just last year actually.

I am a music and storage dork.  HD?  Speed, Size, Brand......Or are you recycling the one off the old system?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:20:34 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:24:34 AM »
Well I just recently got Spore, and when you get to Space Stage, it taxes the proc/vid card enough to freeze the game randomly after a couple hours of play even though I well exceed system specs.  That's what really pushed me over the edge into looking seriously. 
I'll probably never get into the real hardware destroyers FPS games like Crysis, Far Cry, COD, Unreal Tourn 3, etc.  Bioshock and Oblivion do look interesting, though.  But I could definitely see getting into some RTS games like Supreme Commander, Red Alert 3, Starcraft 2 (which I'm pretty geeked about), etc.  I've heard rumors that these RTS games make use of quad-core moreso than FPS.   

I think my old hard drive (WD Caviar--200G, 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache, 150 MBits/s) will do me well enough.  I don't download movies which is what really eats space.  I purchased that 200G drive four and a half years ago and its only half full.  Sure I can get more space and more cache with HDs now, its just not worth the extra 100 bucks so far.  Plus why not wait for SSD to come down in price?

So you don't like Asus boards, how about Gigabyte?

So after some research, I decided the Radeon HD 4870x2 was overkill, I'll go with Radeon HD 4850 and then crossfire another one when I need to.  This is the build I'm thinking pretty hard about, anything jump out as BAD?

-- Core i7-920: $295
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

-- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R: $185 AR 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128375

-- Asus EAH4850 TOP: $135 AR 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272

-- G-Skill DDR3 (3 x 1GB): $85 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231222

-- Corsair CMPSU-750TX: $110 AR 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 

As X58 Mobo's go, that Gigabyte is pretty limited (4 slots, not 6) (2 PCI-e, not 3), but that price is just insane!!  What do you think wk.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »
Well I just recently got Spore, and when you get to Space Stage, it taxes the proc/vid card enough to freeze the game randomly after a couple hours of play even though I well exceed system specs.  That's what really pushed me over the edge into looking seriously. 
I'll probably never get into the real hardware destroyers FPS games like Crysis, Far Cry, COD, Unreal Tourn 3, etc.  Bioshock and Oblivion do look interesting, though.  But I could definitely see getting into some RTS games like Supreme Commander, Red Alert 3, Starcraft 2 (which I'm pretty geeked about), etc.  I've heard rumors that these RTS games make use of quad-core moreso than FPS.   

I think my old hard drive (WD Caviar--200G, 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache, 150 MBits/s) will do me well enough.  I don't download movies which is what really eats space.  I purchased that 200G drive four and a half years ago and its only half full.  Sure I can get more space and more cache with HDs now, its just not worth the extra 100 bucks so far.  Plus why not wait for SSD to come down in price?

So you don't like Asus boards, how about Gigabyte?

So after some research, I decided the Radeon HD 4870x2 was overkill, I'll go with Radeon HD 4850 and then crossfire another one when I need to.  This is the build I'm thinking pretty hard about, anything jump out as BAD?

-- Core i7-920: $295
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

-- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R: $185 AR 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128375

-- Asus EAH4850 TOP: $135 AR 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272

-- G-Skill DDR3 (3 x 1GB): $85 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231222

-- Corsair CMPSU-750TX: $110 AR 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 

As X58 Mobo's go, that Gigabyte is pretty limited (4 slots, not 6) (2 PCI-e, not 3), but that price is just insane!!  What do you think wk.

I can't really say about the gigabyte boards. At my previous job we had one we ordered to try out when we were debating on what our new standard would be.  The board ran perfect fine in the machine for a while with no problems.  Though, like I said I've had an Asus run fine and a few just bomb.  DB or WOW may have more experience with that brand.

Makes sense that an RTS would make better use of multiple processors because it does have a lot going on in the background.  I am pretty geeked for a new Starcraft.  Was a bit bored with the newest Age Of Empires.  Just didn't have the same feeling as good ol AOE2.

Why would you need 3 PCI-Express slots?  I say if it's a good deal that you go with it.  Having that many PCI Express slots is great if you have a lot of things you are going to pop in.  Outside of your video card I don't know what else you'd put in those additional slots.  They would be really awesome dust collectors.  Other than that everything looks good.  Hefty power supply, good amount of mem, and a good card.

You probably already know this or maybe you got too geeked about the specs but you have to take into mind that this machine is going to be top notch and LOUD.  I don't know where you will be keeping it or if the sound even bothers you but it's something to consider.  Obviously not a deal breaker if you choose to ignore it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »
Outside of your video card I don't know what else you'd put in those additional slots.  They would be really awesome dust collectors.

"dust collectors"  :D  Such and ironic comment comming from a "consultant"!  :D :D :D  :P

One major problem we've had with pre-built Dell's is that their power supplies are so under spec'd.  They tend to burn out after a couple of years because they are operating at their upper limit.  One thing people tend to over look is their power supply, make sure you have a wattage beast with very little variance on the output voltage.

My kids play Spores for hours and they have had that "lock up" problem once on a $400.00 Dell PC.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 12:30:40 PM »
Outside of your video card I don't know what else you'd put in those additional slots.  They would be really awesome dust collectors.

"dust collectors"  :D  Such and ironic comment comming from a "consultant"!  :D :D :D  :P

One major problem we've had with pre-built Dell's is that their power supplies are so under spec'd.  They tend to burn out after a couple of years because they are operating at their upper limit.  One thing people tend to over look is their power supply, make sure you have a wattage beast with very little variance on the output voltage.

My kids play Spores for hours and they have had that "lock up" problem once on a $400.00 Dell PC.

Yup and it also ties into the extra ports.  If you have them and you use them just to use them then you are going to be putting a heavy load on that power supply.  Though 750 should be fine I have seen what WOW is talking about with friends PCs.  They will try to go on the cheap with the power supply and only end up pulling their hair out trying to figure out what the problem is later when it kicks the can.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »
One major problem we've had with pre-built Dell's is that their power supplies are so under spec'd.

Oh I've been doing the research.  The most common problem in the world is people put together these fantastic machines and it fries within a couple of days because they used the under spec'd (300-420W) PSU that came with the case.  And make sure you get all 12 volts on a single rail, whatever that means, I heard that everywhere.  Well, I'm sure hoping that 750W will be enough for a while.  Scuttlebut is the value/dollar on that Corsair is impossible to beat:  solid design, 4 x PCI-e connectors, 8 sata, etc---just not modulated (oh well).  I shouldn't need 1000W because I'm not going CRAZY three-way SLI or trying to Crossfire two HD 4870x2's.  Tempting but SOOoooo not worth it. ;D

Other than that everything looks good.  Hefty power supply, good amount of mem, and a good card.

Thx wk, never hurts to get an experienced eye on things.  On the mem, I'm really wondering whether I should just spring for (3 x 2G) for the memory to go 64 bit OS (like maybe Windows 7 later this year?) rather than stick with 32 bit XP.

As for loudness, its never really bothered me.  I hope it doesn't sound like a Cesna in a hangar,  its not like I'll be going with an aftermarket heatsink and overclocking the crap out of the Core i7.  At least not yet. ;)

I have this sinking feeling I'm going to regret not putting together a Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale for 40% less cash and over-clocking it.  Even though I know Intel socket 1336 is more future proof than 775.  Am I even correct in that assumption.    
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:45:19 PM by Skandery »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »
One major problem we've had with pre-built Dell's is that their power supplies are so under spec'd.

Oh I've been doing the research.  The most common problem in the world is people put together these fantastic machines and it fries within a couple of days because they used the under spec'd (300-420W) PSU that came with the case.  And make sure you get all 12 volts on a single rail, whatever that means, I heard that everywhere.  Well, I'm sure hoping that 750W will be enough for a while.  Scuttlebut is the value/dollar on that Corsair is impossible to beat:  solid design, 4 x PCI-e connectors, 8 sata, etc---just not modulated (oh well).  I shouldn't need 1000W because I'm not going CRAZY three-way SLI or trying to Crossfire two HD 4870x2's.  Tempting but SOOoooo not worth it. ;D

Other than that everything looks good.  Hefty power supply, good amount of mem, and a good card.

Thx wk, never hurts to get an experienced eye on things.  On the mem, I'm really wondering whether I should just spring for (3 x 2G) for the memory to go 64 bit OS (like maybe Windows 7 later this year?) rather than stick with 32 bit XP.

As for loudness, its never really bothered me.  I hope it doesn't sound like a Cesna in a hangar,  its not like I'll be going with an aftermarket heatsink and overclocking the crap out of the Core i7.  At least not yet. ;)

I have this sinking feeling I'm going to regret not putting together a Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale for 40% less cash and over-clocking it.  Even though I know Intel socket 1336 is more future proof than 775.  Am I even correct in that assumption.    

That was the next thing I was going to ask you about.  You may want to beef up the memory in anticipation for moving away from XP (eventually) and on to Windows 7 or Vista.  I am sure Windows 7 won't be released until 2010.

I never over clock anything.  Just never been that type of guy who wants to push the limits past what is a better range to operate the hardware at.  You would kick yourself *IF* nothing would go wrong with over clocking it.  There always is that chance of you torching one of the most expensive pieces of hardware in your box.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
I shouldn't need 1000W because I'm not going CRAZY three-way SLI or trying to Crossfire two HD 4870x2's.  Tempting but SOOoooo not worth it. ;D

It's so freaking cheap I would do it.  Heck, I'd go 1500 to 2000 if I was to build a monster.  The "over-doing" stuff comes into play with Star Wars geeky bells and whisltes on the case or those wild cooling systems.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »
I don't know WOW, I've actually read you can have TOO MUCH power and reduce the efficiency/productivity of your hardware.

That was the next thing I was going to ask you about.  You may want to beef up the memory in anticipation for moving away from XP (eventually) and on to Windows 7 or Vista.  I am sure Windows 7 won't be released until 2010.

Yeah wk, for $60 more, it might be worth it to double up the mem.  Make the upgrade cheaper when I do go 64 bit. 

I never over clock anything.  Just never been that type of guy who wants to push the limits past what is a better range to operate the hardware at.  You would kick yourself *IF* nothing would go wrong with over clocking it.

I know what you mean, I've never been the type, either.  Although it seems like over-clocking is so mainstream nowadays.  Manufacturers, in fact, almost engineer the hardware to be overclocked.  There is like 6 sites out their with step by step directions of how to overclock step-wise to very safe, tested, levels.  But like I said, I'm hoping I won't have to for a while yet.  I mean, heck, I still only have a 20.1' monitor that only supports resolution to 1600 x 1200.  I highly doubt the CPU will be a limiting factor for games at that resolution.   

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 01:34:50 PM »
I don't know WOW, I've actually read you can have TOO MUCH power and reduce the efficiency/productivity of your hardware.

Did you hear this on Star Trek or something?

You may not be running your power supply efficiently but there is no such thing as "too much power" when it comes to the hardware that the power supply is driving.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:02:23 PM »

Did you hear this on Star Trek or something?

Don't ask me why but I just laughed really really hard at this.

Has anyone on the board ever used those liquid cooling systems for their PC?  I always see them at Frys but never wanted to toss the money down just to try it.