Author Topic: Will the REAL "big three" please stand up.  (Read 8869 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Will the REAL "big three" please stand up.
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »
It seems that the Celtics KG/P2/Ray hold the title of "the big 3" TB3.  IMO there is one team that has a legit argument for the title of TB3.  Kobe/Gasol/Bynu....err..Kobe/Gasol/Lama...err...dangit, just messed up my own argument....  ;D  I was actually thinking about TD/Parker/Manu.

IMO TD is better than KG and overall the combo of TP/Manu is better than the combo of P2/Ray even though P2 is better than both TP/Manu.

Is it my Celtics hate clouding my vision or is this a legit argument?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will the REAL "big three" please stand up.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »
Its legit IMO.  The problem is they are in a smaller market and those stars, at least KG, are bigger than life to NBA fans.

TD is better than KG in just about every aspect (except being a chest beating punk to no name players).

Manu may not be as good of a shooter as Ray Allen but his slashing/defense is.  I'd say ditto for Paul Pierce.  Though Paul has him beat on the offensive end.  I personally don't think Paul Pierce's defense is all that consistent.

Which leads me to another question for the board....Would you rather have Ray Allen on your team or Tony Parker if you were building it from scratch?

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
Its legit IMO.  The problem is they are in a smaller market and those stars, at least KG, are bigger than life to NBA fans.

TD is better than KG in just about every aspect (except being a chest beating punk to no name players).

Manu may not be as good of a shooter as Ray Allen but his slashing/defense is.  I'd say ditto for Paul Pierce.  Though Paul has him beat on the offensive end.  I personally don't think Paul Pierce's defense is all that consistent.

Which leads me to another question for the board....Would you rather have Ray Allen on your team or Tony Parker if you were building it from scratch?

Today or drafting them as rookies?  Today I take TP cause he's younger, as rookies I take Ray.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
The Spurs have been "TB3" for some time, now.  I got over the question when just about every other team started caller thier best guys "TB3" also.  Celtics are no diff to me.  IMO they are not better then the Spurs TB3.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »
The Spurs have been "TB3" for some time, now.  I got over the question when just about every other team started caller thier best guys "TB3" also.  Celtics are no diff to me.  IMO they are not better then the Spurs TB3.

Are the Spurs trend setters?  I remember everyone copying the use of the name "Twin Towers".  I also remeber a couple of guys named Sampson and Olajawon down in Hourton.....
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »

Are the Spurs trend setters?  I remember everyone copying the use of the name "Twin Towers".  I also remeber a couple of guys named Sampson and Olajawon down in Hourton.....

no no no, they were, "The Twin Towers of Ugly"  I remember... ;)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »

What's the difference between Houston and Hourton?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:23:51 PM »

I dunno how that happened...all I know is SpursX3 smells like sour milk.....
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:25:53 PM »

That's cus I ate at your house last night buddy.   :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »

That's cus I ate at your house last night buddy.   :D

You two get a room.....in one of those nice hotels in Tijuana that charges by the hour.

It would be cool to see 3 on 3 games, kind of like you can play on some of the basketball video games, with the best 3 from each team.  I'd like to see the Spurs Big 3 vs Celtics Big 3.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:37:45 PM by westkoast »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 09:59:02 PM »
It seems that the Celtics KG/P2/Ray hold the title of "the big 3" TB3.  IMO there is one team that has a legit argument for the title of TB3.  Kobe/Gasol/Bynu....err..Kobe/Gasol/Lama...err...dangit, just messed up my own argument....  ;D  I was actually thinking about TD/Parker/Manu.

IMO TD is better than KG and overall the combo of TP/Manu is better than the combo of P2/Ray even though P2 is better than both TP/Manu.

I haven't looked at the stats but I think P2/Ray is better than TP/Manu.  Ray is a better shooter than any of them, none of the others are pure shooters. And Pierce is a better one on one player than any of the Spurs minus TD. I'll go with TD being slightly better than KG but not by that much.  And KG is quicker.

Philly fans don't like the Celtics much, and I like SA, but that's the way I see it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 11:12:52 PM »

I haven't looked at the stats but I think P2/Ray is better than TP/Manu.  Ray is a better shooter than any of them, none of the others are pure shooters. And Pierce is a better one on one player than any of the Spurs minus TD. I'll go with TD being slightly better than KG but not by that much.  And KG is quicker.

Philly fans don't like the Celtics much, and I like SA, but that's the way I see it.

The only reason I give the edge to TP/Manu is because they are more versatile than PP/Ray but I remember Ray used to be able to take it to the rack but he hasn't played that way in a while.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »

The only reason I give the edge to TP/Manu is because they are more versatile than PP/Ray but I remember Ray used to be able to take it to the rack but he hasn't played that way in a while.

He doesn't have the same room to operate that he use to.  That and he lost a step.

I give the edge to TP and Manu because I believe they are better one on one defenders.  The problem with comparing the two sets of three is that the Spurs have been together a lot longer and it forces us to leave out things such as 3 championships together.  You can't really compare that to the Celtics 1 championship because, well, they've only been together for one season heh.  I do think this can be revisted again in 3 years to really see.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:44:03 AM »
He doesn't have the same room to operate that he use to.  That and he lost a step.

I give the edge to TP and Manu because I believe they are better one on one defenders.  The problem with comparing the two sets of three is that the Spurs have been together a lot longer and it forces us to leave out things such as 3 championships together.  You can't really compare that to the Celtics 1 championship because, well, they've only been together for one season heh.  I do think this can be revisted again in 3 years to really see.

Even before RayRay went to Boston he pretty much gave up the slashing game.

IMO in 3 years, Ray and Manu are going to be too old to revisit this topic.  IMO since both TP and Manu can drive and dish, and they can do that because they have respectable outside shots, makes them a bit more versatile.  I really don't know for sure who is better, I can see an argument for both sides.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
This is actually a tough comparison.

I agree with the point about Duncan being better than Garnett, and the two of them being better than all the rest.

My problem is who to place next.  Ginobilli is the best defender of them all, and the best ball-handler.  Allen is the best pure shooter, and definitely the one I'd want at the free throw line.  Pierce is the best athlete.  I could make a legit argument for taking any of them third.

And we don't even need to talk about Tony Parker, because - and I've said it many, many times before - he's incredibly overrated.  He doesn't even belong in this discussion.

I'm going to go with the Celtics "big 3" as the better, simply because, in my eyes, the Celtics 3 beats the Spurs 2.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!