Author Topic: Its officially time to discuss the Celtics slump  (Read 2418 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Its officially time to discuss the Celtics slump
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:38:43 PM »
I wasn't going to call it a slump until I saw they lost to the Bobcats just now....

Thoughts?  I want to hear everyone's take on what is going on.  I understand a loss here and there.  Bound to happen.  Losing to the Warriors and Bobcats in the span of 7 games?  Ack.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Its officially time to discuss the Celtics slump
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:04:43 AM »
I wasn't going to call it a slump until I saw they lost to the Bobcats just now....

Thoughts?  I want to hear everyone's take on what is going on.  I understand a loss here and there.  Bound to happen.  Losing to the Warriors and Bobcats in the span of 7 games?  Ack.

I haven't watched that many Celtics game but IMO it's starting to look like locker room problems.  That uber-unity thing they had going was starting to crack when big baby wuss girl started crying after being scholded by KG.  The Celtics were also starting to nip at each other durring the Lakers game, so it looks like it's an internal thing not anything teams are doing to the Celtics.

P.S. Their bench sucks!  You can't expect the starters to play that many minutes at such a high intensity.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:37:18 AM »
Uhmmmm.....when do we start the Lakers slump thread?  :(

I don't remember if it was this year or last year when I was getting pissed at the Lakers for living by the 3.  They did it again last night.  They made a couple of 3's and then started shooting 3's every possesion it seemed.  The Lakers should have gone inside and kept pace with the Hornets instead of trying to deliver the knock out punch.  Then when the Lakers fell behind they tried to dig themselves out the hole they dug by bombing away from 3pt land.  It sucked.

CP gets a ton of calls where he goes out of his way to initiate the contact.  Unlike Iverson, who gets contact cause he drives the line like a monster, CP makes no attempt at trying to score a basket.  CP pretty much threw himself at Odom and caused Odom to tweak a knee.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »

I don't remember if it was this year or last year when I was getting pissed at the Lakers for living by the 3.  They did it again last night.  They made a couple of 3's and then started shooting 3's every possesion it seemed.  The Lakers should have gone inside and kept pace with the Hornets instead of trying to deliver the knock out punch.  Then when the Lakers fell behind they tried to dig themselves out the hole they dug by bombing away from 3pt land.  It sucked.

CP gets a ton of calls where he goes out of his way to initiate the contact.  Unlike Iverson, who gets contact cause he drives the line like a monster, CP makes no attempt at trying to score a basket.  CP pretty much threw himself at Odom and caused Odom to tweak a knee.

When they lose to a Knick team that has lost 8 straight

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »

So the Lakers slump ALMOST started last month?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:14:16 AM »

So the Lakers slump ALMOST started last month?

Almost doens't count.  Losing to the Hornets, a contender in the west with a 21-10 record I don't think is a huge deal.  Last night was def pay back for them losing in NO twice this year.  Losing to the Bobcats, Warriors, and Knicks in a span of 7 games is certainly a slump.  I think the Lakers came close to slumping when they lost to the Kings that one night and suffered that loss in Indiana but they didn't drop 5 of 7.

As for the arguing I think you hit the nail on the head.  They are constantly yelling at each other and it seems as if Ray Allen is being the most vocal cry baby.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
I think the Lakers might start slumping.  This is Deja-vu all over again.  For the past 3 years the Lakers have been rolling only to have their impressive run hit an injury road block.  Two years ago the Lakers were on a roll they lost Odom and a couple of other players when Odom was having a breakout year.  I think he was averaging 18/8.

Last year the Lakers were rolling leading the WC when Bynum went down.  Lucky for the Lakers Stern stepped in and said enough is enough and put a gun to the Grizz's head and made them give up Gasol for peanuts.

Now the Lakers lose Farmar, Walton and possibly Odom.  I think they Lakers will be able to handle these injuries better than in years past but with that many injuries it just makes the Lakers a middle of the pack kind of team.  The Lakers could still be the front runners but they will not be the elite machine they have been so far this season.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »
They dropped another in Houston last night.  6 losses in 8 games.  They went from looking to match or beat the Bulls record and now they look like they will barely crack 62 wins.  It almost seems as if they are listening to the media too much now that there is all this slump talk and actually starting to believe it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 11:41:53 AM »
They dropped another in Houston last night.  6 losses in 8 games.  They went from looking to match or beat the Bulls record and now they look like they will barely crack 62 wins.  It almost seems as if they are listening to the media too much now that there is all this slump talk and actually starting to believe it.

Every team that has ever gone on a record setting winning streak have slumped after the streak was broken.  The 99-00 Lakers might be the exception but I don't think so, I think the Lakers came into the playoffs having a pretty mediocre record because they seemed to have a let down or took their foot off the accelerator...I think....not sure...
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:55:45 AM »

Every team that has ever gone on a record setting winning streak have slumped after the streak was broken.  The 99-00 Lakers might be the exception but I don't think so, I think the Lakers came into the playoffs having a pretty mediocre record because they seemed to have a let down or took their foot off the accelerator...I think....not sure...

Of course there is a let down but a team of this caliber losing 6 of 8 games, many to teams they should be beating?

Oh ya throw in the 2006 (I believe) Mavs who went on a crazy winning streak, lost, and then got back on another winning stream.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »

Of course there is a let down but a team of this caliber losing 6 of 8 games, many to teams they should be beating?

Oh ya throw in the 2006 (I believe) Mavs who went on a crazy winning streak, lost, and then got back on another winning stream.

What's the difference between a winning streak and a winning stream?  :P
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »

Half a cenitmeter on the keyboard?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »

Half a cenitmeter on the keyboard?

Or an extra layer of "fat" on your finger.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"