Author Topic: Sixers v Mavs  (Read 4293 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Sixers v Mavs
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:27:05 PM »
I'm watching about 1 hr tape delayed.  If watching Green and Sam look bad pains you then don't watch the the beginning of this game.  They are in rare form.  I never new Eric Dampier could be made to look so good.

1st 7 min:  Damp 6/6/1a 3 o-boards; Sam 0- a bunch, zero block outs

Stop me, I'm sounding like a Ricky acolyte.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:33:24 PM by tk76- »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Sixers v Mavs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
At least I have Dampier on my fantasy team.  I can't seem to find the game locally.  No sign of Speights yet.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »
Reggie and Theo getting in as usual before Speights.  Makes me wonder if Speights will even be in the rotation when Brand is back.  Hard to fathom.

Ivey gets in before him too.  I guess you have to make sure Evans, Theo and Ivey get their minutes.  That is quite the offensive troika... and we wonder why Lou is not pass first with the second unit  :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:51:03 PM by tk76- »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 09:50:17 PM »
Speights with no first half minutes.  It seems like he might be headed for the doghouse.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
The game is on the WB- at least in Philly.  Also here http://www.justin.tv/mavs_rules  You might e able to watch from the beginning if that link has an archive.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
http://www.justin.tv/mavs_rules/archive

You can watch it from the start.  A good quality feed for the internet.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:00:51 PM »
That Kimbo Slice guy really turns the ball over.  I know Iguodala struggles on isolations, but Kimbo doesn't look like he has much of a future as the go to post scorer.  A shame the Sixers don't have any other PF on the bench who can score...

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »
Speights with no first half minutes.  It seems like he might be headed for the doghouse.

I just think - in this case - there's no one for him to defend.

As I said in the other thread...this needs to be a good Young night.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 10:09:25 PM »
How does the player with the highest PER on the team get in the doghouse?  Probably asking for more minutes.

0 minutes. A great way to develop your young talent.  Not a pressing need when your veteran players are so (sic) great!

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »
I can't think of any reason why Speights does not get regular minutes for this team.  If they wanted to send him a message then the last 3 games playing spot minutes was more than sufficient.

I blasted Mo for coaching scared by overusing low ceiling vets to cut down on risk.  I can't understand why DiLeo would do the same thing with Speights.  I see the poor rebounding, but really, I never saw that big of a drop off in his effort or game to warrant harming his development with limited minutes.  This was a guy I thought was headed for the starting line-up a week ago.  Wha' happend? ???

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 10:25:30 PM »
Sixer's offense is so marginal, it's subject to failure at any time.  Every shot depends on it being a good one. No easy, inside baskets, (a nice Iguodala slam exception).

Here at the start of the fourth quarter, their offense is failing them.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 11:10:50 PM »
Sixer's offense is so marginal, it's subject to failure at any time.

Going with Green, Evans and Ratliff together for huge stretches makes an offense something much worse than Marginal.  There is ZERO reason to ride those players.  It doesn't get wins, or develop players, or do anything. 

Green, Evans and Ratliff are vets, and maybe DiLeo thinks those vets will execute his defense better and the younger players will learn by watching on the bench.  That is a flawed coaching philosophy.  The only thing young players learn sitting all game on the bench is that their coach has no faith in them.  That is a quick way to cause promissing young talnet to turn into headcases.

I called for Mo to be axed, but based on this new over-reliance on marginal vets, I see no reason why they should not have stuck with Mo.  If anything, DiLeo is harming this teams progress, and he would be better back in his old role of scouting talent.  If this team was too cheap to replace Mo with a real coach they either never should have extended him or not fired him.   

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 11:28:32 PM »

Dampier?  Diop?  Heck, even Bass he could be somewhat effective.

Not many were saying play him heavy minutes at the 4.  But there are certainly minutes at the 5 available, and Speights should be ahead of Evans in the rotation.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 07:55:39 AM »

Dampier?  Diop?  Heck, even Bass he could be somewhat effective.

Not many were saying play him heavy minutes at the 4.  But there are certainly minutes at the 5 available, and Speights should be ahead of Evans in the rotation.

I can't argue with Bass.  Sure.  But going in I felt Dampier would be too much for Marreese.  Too big.  And Diop is WAY too big for him (though he sees limited action too).

I believe that when Marreese returns to action (vs. San Antonio), you'll see a new player. 

Ya know, before the season there was talk that Marreese lacked focus at times.  Maybe he's lost some of the spark he had (maybe at practice too) and Tony is giving him a 3 game kick in the ass.

We'll see.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »
Sixer's offense is so marginal, it's subject to failure at any time.  Every shot depends on it being a good one. No easy, inside baskets, (a nice Iguodala slam exception).

Here at the start of the fourth quarter, their offense is failing them.

I did not see last night's game, but this is a very true statement.  The Sixers are fragile on offense, even when they look good they are a mis or two away from a slew of bad shots, turnovers or just plain missed shots.  That let's teams go on runs against us.  It is like watching a baseball team with no hitting and praying that you pitcher throws a shutout every game.