Author Topic: Merry X-Mas Everyone! I got you all some e-gifts...  (Read 4643 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Merry X-Mas Everyone! I got you all some e-gifts...
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 11:40:09 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes, westkoast.  I can get down with some Busta!

Merry Christmas!
Happy Hanukkah! (I know there are 23 correct ways to spell and I probably still messed it up)
Krazy Kwanzaa!
Eid Mabrouk!
Feliz Navidad!
Praise Odin!
Hail Eris!

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

Sums it up pretty well.

Oh and my personal opinion:  Bah Humbug!    ;)

I guess I should return that life size poster of Greg Popavich that I got you then huh?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »

Merry Christmas!
Happy Hanukkah! (I know there are 23 correct ways to spell and I probably still messed it up)
Krazy Kwanzaa!
Eid Mabrouk!
Feliz Navidad!
Praise Odin!
Hail Eris!

Sums it up pretty well.

I guess I should return that life size poster of Greg Popavich that I got you then huh?

Maybe he wanted W.O.W.'s green card too.... ;)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »

Merry Christmas!
Krazy Kwanzaa!
Eid Mabrouk!
Feliz Navidad!
Praise Odin!
Hail Eris!

Sums it up pretty well.

Should just have put in Amnesty and got all 3 of you done at once.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »
Thanks westy, but if you could see your way clear to rigging the draft lottery in the Wolves favor for the next couple years that would really help.

Hail Eris, Skandery?  I guess I'll have to start looking for the fnords in your posts.  ;D 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »

Merry Christmas!
Krazy Kwanzaa!
Eid Mabrouk!
Feliz Navidad!
Praise Odin!
Hail Eris!

Sums it up pretty well.

Pop poster is great...my dartboard needs a new cover.

And I don't need no stinkin' green card.  My momma waddled over the bridge before I was born.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
Thanks westy, but if you could see your way clear to rigging the draft lottery in the Wolves favor for the next couple years that would really help.

Hail Eris, Skandery?  I guess I'll have to start looking for the fnords in your posts.  ;D 

I spoke to Santa and he said he would talk to the Spurs on tips to see if you can make that come true.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »

Merry Christmas!
Krazy Kwanzaa!
Eid Mabrouk!
Feliz Navidad!
Praise Odin!
Hail Eris!

Sums it up pretty well.

Pop poster is great...my dartboard needs a new cover.

And I don't need no stinkin' green card.  My momma waddled over the bridge before I was born.

lol  :D :D
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 12:00:28 PM »

I spoke to Santa and he said he would talk to the Spurs on tips to see if you can make that come true.

*cough* *cough* *cou-back injury-gh* *cough* *cou-start now before too late-gh*

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »

Merry Christmas!
Krazy Kwanzaa!
Eid Mabrouk!
Feliz Navidad!
Praise Odin!
Hail Eris!

Sums it up pretty well.

Where is W.O.W???  did he travel back to the Yucatan for Christmas? 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 12:09:15 PM »

Merry Christmas!
Krazy Kwanzaa!
Eid Mabrouk!
Feliz Navidad!
Praise Odin!
Hail Eris!

Sums it up pretty well.

Where is W.O.W???  did he travel back to the Yucatan for Christmas? 

Last we heard from him he was going out to dinner with JoMal.....

Now they are both M.I.A like the Heat.....

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »
Here is a little time consumer (internet game)...if you make it through enough levels you can throw snowballs at Sarah Palin.  It is courtesy of PETA.

http://www.peta.org/feat/HolidaySnowballFight/index.aspx
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »

http://dberri.wordpress.com/2008/12/21/kevin-mchale-and-blogger-power/

Kevin McHale and Blogger Power
December 21, 2008

Apparently Kevin McHale fears blogger power:

"I think you're going to see more and more shorter term stuff in our league," he (McHale) said. "Just because the access now, theres so much media availability and everything else."

"There's just so many bloggers; everybody's got an opinion. There's all kinds of stuff going on. Sometimes that starts forming the opinion of people in front offices, too, and owner. It?s been kind of a crazy year so far."

Looking back, McHale has been the subject of quite a few posts offered in this blog.

Despite this attention - which hasn't been very kind - McHale is still an employee of the Minnesota Timberwolves. This suggests that

* McHale is wrong about the power of bloggers
    * McHale is right about the power of bloggers, but this blog isn't very powerful
    * McHale is wrong about the power of bloggers, and this blog isn't very powerful

Looking at the Last Major Decision

My sense is that point #3 is correct.  Despite the powerlessness of this blog, I thought I would spend some time re-visiting McHale's last major decision as a general manager.

On draft night McHale traded the draft rights to O.J. Mayo (and a few other players) to the Memphis Grizzlies for Kevin Love and Mike Miller (and a few other players).  At the time this trade was made I noted that I thought McHale got the better of the deal.  After 26 games this year, though, the T-Wolves have only won four games while the Grizzlies have a record of 9-17.

So did McHale make another mistake?  Did I say something that was wrrrrrrr?., not correct?

As always, let's look at some numbers.

http://www.wagesofwins.com/Twolves260809.html

Table One reports the standard perspectives on a team.  First we have what the team could have expected given what the players did last year.  Then we have what these players have done this year.  As one can see, there is a clear difference.  The Timberwolves are actually a bit better this year than their record indicates. Given the team?s efficiency differential and corresponding Wins Produced this season, Minnesota should have won six to seven games.  And if we look at what these players did last year, Minnesota should have won 12 to 13 games so far this season.

When we look at the performance of the individual players we can see what happened.  Heading into this season it was believed that Al Jefferson, Mike Miller, and Kevin Love were going to be above average performers.  Looking at the numbers we see this expectation confirmed.  Unfortunately, the remainder of the roster has been awful. Six players have played more than 100 minutes and posted a WP48 [Wins Produced per 48 minutes] in the negative range.  And leading this pack is Ryan Gomes.

When we look at the individual stats, we can see where Gomes has come up short.

http://www.wagesofwins.com/JeffersonLoveGomesDec08.html

As Table two indicates - with the exception of turnovers and personal fouls - Gomes has been below average with respect to every box score statistic.  In contrast, Jefferson has been above average with respect to everything except steals.  Love?s game has problems, but his ability to rebound and avoid turnovers also translates into an above Win Score and WP48.

When we look at this roster it seems clear - at this point  that McHale didn't make a mistake on draft day.  Heading into the draft Minnesota had one outstanding player.  After the draft the T-Wolves had three good players.  Unfortunately, the T-Wolves don't have much else.  And consequently, Minnesota isn't a very good team.

Memphis and Mayo

What about the Grizzlies?

http://www.wagesofwins.com/Memphis260809.html

Table Three reports the standard perspectives on Memphis.  Unlike what we saw with the T-Wolves, Memphis is about on target.  Given what the players did last we would expect Memphis to have seven victories thus far.  The player's performance this year - thanks to the improved play of Mike Conley and Darko Milicic - translates into 8.9 Wins Produced. Consequently Memphis is on pace to win about 28 games this year.

More than 20% of these wins can be tied to the play of O.J. Mayo.  In fact, only Conley has produced more wins for Memphis.  Despite this overall level of productivity, though, Mayo is only about average on a per-minute basis.

http://www.wagesofwins.com/MayoDec2008.html

When we look at the individual stats - reported in Table Four - we see that Mayo has been an above average scorer.  But with respect to every other statistics (except personal fouls), Mayo is below average.  Consequently, he has not yet developed into a "good" player.

It's important to remember that neither Love nor Mayo has played 30 NBA games yet.  So it's a bit early to reach any strong conclusions.  Nevertheless, at this point I think McHale should be happy with the decision he made on draft day.

As for much of the rest of his decisions' well, many of those don?t look too good.  And that suggests that maybe the T-wolves were wise to move McHale out of his position as general manager.  Of course, that doesn't mean I - or any other person with a blog - should take responsibility for that decision.

Memphis Missing One Key Ingredient

Let me close with one last note on the Grizzlies.  Currently Memphis has three above average performers: Conley, Marc Gasol, and Kyle Lowry.  If Mayo improves a bit, Memphis might have four "good" players.  Although this suggests Memphis is on the way back to playoff contention, there's currently one major missing piece. Conley has the highest WP48 on the team, but his mark is only 0.144.  As I have noted in the past, a team can't be very successful if its best player can't post a WP48 beyond the 0.200 mark.  And right now, Memphis doesn't have anyone near that level.

This means Memphis is still missing a very important piece. What this team has is a collection of "good" players. What this team needs is at least one "great" player.

My sense is that in general, getting the one "great" player is harder than collecting a few "good" players.  This suggests that McHale and Minnesota - despite their current record - is closer than Memphis to finding success.  Of course, McHale and Minnesota have been in this position before.  Once upon a time Minnesota had Kevin Garnett.  Unfortunately, finding that collection of "good" players proved to be a difficult task for McHale.  Perhaps this is why he's no longer in charge of the search (not that I would suggest that was the right decision).

- DJ
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:52:08 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 04:31:02 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3789373

Nothing to do with basketball but read it anyway

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2008, 04:34:18 AM »
I don't want to offend anyone's cult...err...religious beliefs so I'll keep it very "PC" ...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS BITCHES!

Dear Allah I hope Dan doesn't read this....
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"