Author Topic: Predict the Road Trip  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Predict the Road Trip
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:30:58 AM »
It's an annual holiday rite for the Sixers. The dates and opponents vary, but it's generally from five to seven games, mostly out West, in recent seasons including a game on New Year's Eve. This time, it's six games, taking them from Boston to Denver, Utah, Los Angeles (the Clippers on Dec. 31), Dallas and San Antonio.

It's always daunting, but this time perhaps even a little more so. Consider: Going into last night's schedule, the six opponents held a combined record of 99-64. Take the 8-19 Clippers out of the equation, and the other five were 91-45.

I am optimistically calling 2-4, maybe we go nuts tonight and stop the C's from breaking our record.  What do you think their record will be?

jemagee

Re: Predict the Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 11:33:42 AM »
2-4?  Ok, the clippers, maybe - but who else?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:43:23 AM »
Some other team playing tired and taking us too lightly over the holidays.  We usually pull something like that out of our hat.  It is the NBA after all, there will be some team dogging it along the way.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
Ok - i can see that - but the coaches, sloan, carlisle, pop, karl - which one of them let's em dog it and not scare the living crap out of them at half time?  Carlisle maybe?

Hell maybe boston looks past the sixers to christmas day - but i doubt that - KG will probably be trash talking Louis Williams -

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »
I believe 'Melo has shut it down for at least a few games due to injury.  Maybe we strike there.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »
That's a valid point - I believe he is out for the game against the sixers - but then again - we're missing brand :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 12:33:40 PM »
0-6 with lots of talk about "quality losses."  Then, when they are in a really deep hole and the pressure is off, they will start winning games.

Stop me if this sounds familiar.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
0-6 with lots of talk about "quality losses."  Then, when they are in a really deep hole and the pressure is off, they will start winning games.

I was thinking along the same lines, it is a little too early for their annual run.  We need a full fledged nose-dive first.  Hopefully this year it triggers a big trade rather than a wait and see approach.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:12:53 PM »
There are a bunch of rumors floating around about a lot of teams making moves, kings, bulls, knicks, raptors, bobcats, etc...

No one mentions the sixers, i'm not sure if that' encouraging or discouraging

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »

I was thinking along the same lines, it is a little too early for their annual run.  We need a full fledged nose-dive first.  Hopefully this year it triggers a big trade rather than a wait and see approach.

Not to mention a certain football and baseball team that have followed the same pattern year after year.  I guees the Phillies finally redeemed themselves the last 2 years.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »
There are a bunch of rumors floating around about a lot of teams making moves, kings, bulls, knicks, raptors, bobcats, etc...

No one mentions the sixers, i'm not sure if that' encouraging or discouraging

Talk was that Mo was fired now and replaced with a personnel guy so that a sufficient and close evaluation of the players and team as a whole could be made prior to the deadline.  What Brand's injury does to that alleged plan is unknown.  My guess is that the Sixers will be in the market, but they aren't sure what they are buying and selling yet.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »
See - but where does Andre Miller fit into that plan - you gotta think the lack of an extension this offseason means he's not interested in one so he's trade bait from day one i thik

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »
2-6.  I watched the Clippers last night and they looked sad.  I actually felt bad for them. 

As others alluded to, Melo is likely out for Friday's game so that one is winnable.  I could also see us sneaking one past Dallas. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 03:44:37 PM »
I think the Brand injury made deciding on moves a bit more difficult.  They did not get to see if they could make things fit better with a new coach.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 03:47:56 PM »
I think the Brand injury made deciding on moves a bit more difficult.  They did not get to see if they could make things fit better with a new coach.

I don't buy this - especially with Andre Miller.