Author Topic: There are too many college bowls  (Read 874 times)

jemagee

There are too many college bowls
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
if you have a bowl sponsored by something as ridiculous as the magicjack - it becomes obvious there are way too much

BTW - as an aside - all these mediocre teams that go to crappy bowls and get their fans there - is there any reason those couldn't continue with a playoff occurring concurrently?  I mean most teams don't qualify for the BCS and those bowls aren't relevant really but people still go to the magicjack bowl and the poinsettia bowl and the carquest bowl etc...the argument that a playoff would 'kill' the bowl system doesn't  make a lot of sense to me - the bcs has, what, 10 teams (is the cotton bowl part of it yet or what)?  A playoff would only be like 16 - wouldn't lose too many bowls...or maybe i'm missing something?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: There are too many college bowls
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 10:15:34 AM »
The fans of the winning teams in a playoff system would have to travel week after week (think about time off work & travel costs).  By the time of the 3rd or 4th game there would be very little fan attendance.  Or the first rounds would have low attendance because the fans of the big boys would wait until the semi finals or finals.

The other thing is 16 teams in a playoff would mean 15 games (8+4+2+1).  There are something like 34 bowl games so it would cut the games in half.  Start talking about cutting revenue with the college presidents and see how far your argument goes.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jemagee

Re: There are too many college bowls
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:49:49 PM »
You could integrate the bowls into theplayoff system and still have all the meaningless bowls for the crap teams that wouldnt' qualify for the playoffs anyway.

I mean who cares about hawaii vs notre dame when both teams are god awful...

Speaking of which - as far as i can tell - according to ESPN - the most important bowl for all the marbles this year is the rose bowl - it's almost pathetic as a 'sports' organization how ESPN is ignoring the rest of the bowls (basically) in the BCS just because they are televising the Rose Bowl - it's the kind of thing that makes people think ESPN has no credibility left in sports NEWS