Author Topic: The Kings are rumored to have fired Reggie Theus  (Read 4395 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The Kings are rumored to have fired Reggie Theus
« on: December 15, 2008, 02:01:45 PM »
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/017821.html

News, observations and reader questions about the Sacramento Kings and the NBA.
December 15, 2008
Reggie Theus fired
BLOG UPDATE (10:40 a.m.): The news has been confirmed by the Kings media relations staff.

(10:10 a.m.)
A Kings head coaching position that has been a musical chairs post in recent years changed once again around 10 a.m. on Monday morning, when - according to two sources close to the team - Reggie Theus was fired along with assistant Chuck Person and assistant Kenny Natt was given the role of interim head coach.

While Theus entered the season with a hot-seat status because the option for his third season (2009-10) had not been picked up by the team, the seat had grown hotter by the day during the Kings' atrocious start. They have lost 14 of the last 16 games, yet quite clearly Sunday's blowout to the Knicks was one defeat too many for Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof and team basketball president Geoff Petrie. The Kings fell behind 43-21 after the first quarter and did it much the same way that had incensed ownership early this season, giving up a barrage of three-pointers (13 of 27) and allowing 100-plus points for the ninth time in the last 11 games. Theus did not immediately return a phone call for comment. Stay tuned for more... - Sam Amick

While a blog is hardly the right medium to confirm or deny rumors, Sam Amick is a reporter for the SacTown Bee whom I read regularly and would have the resources to know for sure.

This kind of sickens me. The Maloofs are the ones behind it, as Joe Maloof came out a month ago and virtually announced during a local radio interview that Theus was on shaky ground and Maloof thought the younger players needed to play more and he hated how the Kings could not defend the three point shot. Coach Theus went ahead and started to play the younger guys more, resulting in a slew of consecutive blowout losses and REEEEEEALLY lousy defense in the process, plus causing several highly disgruntled veteran players (Miller, Moore, and Bobby Jackson) to have no clue on how their playing time and usage would be game to game.

Theus admittedly was growing into the position - up to that interview. After that, he clearly was not the same coach and his choices and decision-making looked all the world like he was trying to figure out the best way to save his job. I do not agree with this decision at all and the guy replacing him is younger and even more inexperienced, so I hardly expect a major turnaround this season, but then I did not expect much before the season started.

What really gets me is that the players - especially the younger ones - looked to be improving overall, especially Spencer Hawes, Donte Greene, Bobby Brown, and Jason Thompson. It was not showing up in the won-loss area, but day to day. This will have to set back their development, because they undoubtedly will feel responsible for the team's alledged failure up to this point in the season.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

Re: The Kings are rumored to have fired Reggie Theus
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 02:06:25 PM »
Well if other reports are to be believed, Petrie never wanted Theus hired and he was 'maloofs man' so if they gave up suppoort and let petrie make the decisions, well then the writing was on the wall.

So that's six huh - i took the over though didn't i?

I need iavaroni to get fired or lebron to get d'antoni fired.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 02:08:52 PM »
The Kings fell behind 43-21 after the first quarter and did it much the same way that had incensed ownership early this season, giving up a barrage of three-pointers (13 of 27) and allowing 100-plus points for the ninth time in the last 11 games.

Uh oh...PJ better watch his back if that's cause to fire a coach.  In order to save his job either PJ shapes up the Lakers or buys Jennie a really cool XMas gift.

There are only a hand full of guys that can keep a team competitive when losing their LEADING scorer and best overall player...hmmm...Adelman comes to mind as one of them.....  ::)
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:27:11 PM »

There are only a hand full of guys that can keep a team competitive when losing their LEADING scorer and best overall player...hmmm...Adelman comes to mind as one of them.....  ::)

Oh, didn't you hear. In that same interview, Joe Maloof lamented the lack of a coherent offensive system in place from Theus. He thought Reggie should put one in, like he did not already have one, similar to the one that....let's see....oh yeah.....Rick Adelman had.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »
Again, I don't watch the Kings enough to know if it is the coaches fault or not that this team is not competing like the fans and owners want.  I'll obviously differ to JoMal on that one. 

If the Maloofs want the team to be as good as it was then they need to bring in players the caliber of Chris Webber, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac, Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson, Peja, etc etc.  Brad Miller is a poor mans version of Vlade Divac.  Undies is not quite Mike Bibby in 2002 caliber.  I don't see anyone even close to Chris Weber on this squad and ditto goes for Doug Christie.

Oh ya....and it would have helped not to fire a pretty good coach in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:35:48 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 03:48:29 PM »
Again, I don't watch the Kings enough to know if it is the coaches fault or not that this team is not competing like the fans and owners want.  I'll obviously differ to JoMal on that one. 

If the Maloofs want the team to be as good as it was then they need to bring in players the caliber of Chris Webber, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac, Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson, Peja, etc etc.  Brad Miller is a poor mans version of Vlade Divac.  Undies is not quite Mike Bibby in 2002 caliber.  I don't see anyone even close to Chris Weber on this squad and ditto goes for Doug Christie.

Oh ya....and it would have helped not to fire a pretty good coach in the first place.

Jason Thompson might be as good as Webber but I agree the talent on the current squad is nowhere near the old Kings.  It might develop into that at some point but I don't think so based on what I've seen.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 04:26:21 PM »
The current Kings have a pretty decent player in Kevin Martin, but he has a bad ankle that is starting to look like a chronic problem for the rest of this year. Francisco Garcia is a good player, a leader, and feels he should be recognized as better then people give him credit for. Nothing wrong with that, but he sort of should prove that on the court more then every third game. Udruh was given a good sized contract to hold down the point guard job until something better comes along, essentially. He has moments of good to very good basketball, and more moments of bad to very bad point guard play.

Miller, Moore, Jackson - disgruntled veterans all, Miller is likely to get traded either this year or sometime next year as his oversized contract winds down. Moore and Jackson are close to the end anyway.

Which leaves us with our youth movement, and as WOW said, it might prove to be good over time, but a stretch to meet the standards of the Webber/Divac squad.

Spencer Hawes is much better then advertised, especially after a mediocre freshman year. He is in better shape, clearly is coachable, is rebounding and blocking shots to a degree that was not seen in college and was not anticipated, and looks like a good fit once Miller leaves. He is also a superior passer.

Thompson was flat out overlooked coming out of Rider. He is very smart, eager, dives on the floor, and has yet to look overmatched. Still real raw, though.

Donte Greene is still a bit of a mystery. His defense was non-existant at first, but because the Maloofs made it a point to play him more, he looks only semi-lost on that side of the court so far. His offense could be very, very good eventually. His length at the small forward position could be an absolute beast and he wants to model his game after Kevin Garnett. He is close to his size, and both he and Hawes are really young. Greene won't turn 21 till February, and Hawes not until April. Thompson is an oldster at 22. Neither Greene nor Hawes look like they are done growing either - filling out, at any rate.

Along with our surprise PG free agent Bobby Brown, these players are what we are talking about for the future nucleus of the Kings, including Martin and Garcia. But it was ridiculous for the Maloofs to expect much out of them this season, especially on defense. Theus was a pretty good fit for them as they grew into the jobs. Not to give him some time to figure things out, but dumping him like HE was the reason ARCO was not selling out and fans were less interested in the Kings this season then in past years was flat out stupid.

The economic turndown has hit the average Kings' fan really hard and the last thing they are likely to do is spend hundreds of dollars to see them play right now. It certainly would help if the Kings could win a game or two at home, which irks the heck out of them more then anything, but to be really fair, I would have thought the Maloofs would have tried to HELP him, through Petrie, instead of jumping on his back with daggers out and leaping up to shout they have killed the cause of the team's problems and now everything will turn around, so all you disgruntled fans can flock back to ARCO.

What elitist!! 

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 04:57:43 PM »
It aggravates me what Salmons is doing when I look at what willie green is doing

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:34:23 PM »
It aggravates me what Salmons is doing when I look at what willie green is doing

John Salmons is pretty good, but at times tends to forget a teammate probably has an open shot because five opponents are on top of him in the key. Otherwise, he plays okay.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:39:01 PM »
John Salmons is pretty good, but at times tends to forget a teammate probably has an open shot because five opponents are on top of him in the key. Otherwise, he plays okay.

He's better than willie green - and even if god told him to go to toronto - it seemed that the sixers decided that they had to 'choose one' and they chose willie over slamons which was aggravating to me in general....the fact that salmons has actually played well most of his time in scaramento just makes it worse to me

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »
Getting rid of Theus is probably a mistake, but right now, there are some coaches out there that are good who are available.  Avery Johnson, Flip Saunders, and Eddie Jordan wouldn't be all that bad of a fit for Sacramento.  Just make sure to avoid Sham Mitchell,  Randy Half-Wittman, and P.J. Car-loss-imo, and you should be fine.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 06:15:58 PM »
Getting rid of Theus is probably a mistake, but right now, there are some coaches out there that are good who are available.  Avery Johnson, Flip Saunders, and Eddie Jordan wouldn't be all that bad of a fit for Sacramento.  Just make sure to avoid Sham Mitchell,  Randy Half-Wittman, and P.J. Car-loss-imo, and you should be fine.

The early skuddlebutt is Jordan. But not till this season concludes.

If I don't pop up here as much as in the past, it probably will be because I have little to offer while the Kings try to avoid being demoted in-mass to the D-League.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 06:21:21 PM »

The early skuddlebutt is Jordan. But not till this season concludes.

If I don't pop up here as much as in the past, it probably will be because I have little to offer while the Kings try to avoid being demoted in-mass to the D-League.

Any idea why Eddie Jordan would be at the top of the list?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »
So now Eddie Jordan is the future coach (based on skuttlebutt) for two franchises huh?

(When Mo got fired on the weekend numerous people put Eddie Jordan as the future coach because of previously connection to Stefanski in Jersey)

I wouldn't put any stock into any of these speculations right now...

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 07:16:01 PM »
Jordan is mentioned because the Kings let him go right before Adelman was hired, he was a very affective coach here in SacTown up to then (and his firing was not well received), so he has some connections here.