Author Topic: The Kings are rumored to have fired Reggie Theus  (Read 4386 times)

jemagee

Re: The Kings are rumored to have fired Reggie Theus
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »
I would think 'second time around' is a reason not to birng him back.

I think sports writers are lazy and jordan is the hottest of the fired names this year (most likely to get another job) so they just start throwing his name everywhere.

At least the raptor speculations were more creative

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »
Well, Jordan was fired by the previous owner, Jim Thomas, who wanted a more veteran coach after one season of giving Eddie his first head coaching experience, when the Kings got Chris Webber and Vlade Divac. He did not think Jordan had the chops to handle good, veteran players.

I guess now he does. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »
Well, Jordan was fired by the previous owner, Jim Thomas, who wanted a more veteran coach after one season of giving Eddie his first head coaching experience, when the Kings got Chris Webber and Vlade Divac. He did not think Jordan had the chops to handle good, veteran players.

I guess now he does. 

Don't you think Flip Saunders might be a better fit?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »
Personally I am holding out for Phil Jackson, but barring that, the team needs a guy who can turn kids into NBA men. Can Saunders do that? Jackson, actually, has never really had to do that, though the last few seasons have come closest.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »
Personally I am holding out for Phil Jackson, but barring that, the team needs a guy who can turn kids into NBA men. Can Saunders do that? Jackson, actually, has never really had to do that, though the last few seasons have come closest.

Larry Brown turns boys into Pros, but once they become Pros they stop listenting to their coach.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 12:40:55 PM »

Larry Brown turns boys into Pros, but once they become Pros they stop listenting to their coach.

Larry is busy.

Ugly rumor of the day.

The main reason behind the Maloof's wanting a coaching change right now was because they were feeling left out of the national spotlight. They would go back east and ask their compadres what they thought about the Kings and would get a "You mean the LA hockey team"? response.

Would not surprise me if that were the case.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 12:54:26 PM »

Larry is busy.

Ugly rumor of the day.

The main reason behind the Maloof's wanting a coaching change right now was because they were feeling left out of the national spotlight. They would go back east and ask their compadres what they thought about the Kings and would get a "You mean the LA hockey team"? response.

Would not surprise me if that were the case.

I kind of felt that this is what prompted both the Adleman firing and the potential Theus firing.  They want to return back to the elite status in the league they got use to earlier this decade.  Eddie Jordan is not going to do that.  Maybe Michael Jordan from 1997 but not Eddie Jordan.

I think Flip does a good job of getting players together on the same page that is why I thought he would be a better choice than Eddie Jordan. 

jemagee

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »
If they thiink firing Theus brings them closer to "Elite" status they're nuts.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »
So I heard on AM radio this morning that Sloan protege Kenny Natt is the interim coach.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 01:37:29 PM »
Let me ask this to the board and JoMal specifically....

Do you think the Kings are still able to attract a free agent of Chris Webber's caliber (at the time)???

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »

Do you think the Kings are still able to attract a free agent of Chris Webber's caliber (at the time)???

Remember, wk, that Webber was brought to the Kings in a trade with Washington for Mitch Richmond <side note - Mitch is STILL my favorite all time SacTown King> and not as a free agent.

Actually, yes, once the Kings eliminate all that bogus cap-choking salary they are carrying with Kenny Thomas and Brad Miller, they certainly can attrack a quality star in two years - not THIS summer - they will still be choking on those two contracts, but the one after.

God, is it me or do these things seem to take for ever to get going.   

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 01:52:05 PM »

In principle - yes - because 99.9% of free agents take the biggest contract offered - so if they have cap room or pieces for a sign and trade - yes

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
I would think 'second time around' is a reason not to birng him back.

I think sports writers are lazy and jordan is the hottest of the fired names this year (most likely to get another job) so they just start throwing his name everywhere.

At least the raptor speculations were more creative

It is completely certain that Geoff Petrie will not be dropping any hints to the media on who he plans on interviewing. Kenny Natt, Sloan's old assistant (for nine years) is now the interim coach. He plans on implementing Sloans' accountability measures to curtail the player's from missing practices, shootarounds, and meetings, and told the local media he has 100 % backing of Petrie and the Maloofs to do what he feels is necessary. He also is going to simplify the offense (Theus' was complex, to say the least), and push much harder for players to defend, with playing time the carrot on that one.

We will see. None of these things will make the younger players immediately older and wiser, cure the ailments of Garcia and Martin, or make Udruh worth the contract spent on him to hold down the point guard spot. But we are talking about the Kings, so somewhere Gavin and Joe are cracking open that 25 year old scotch to toast that.