Author Topic: broadband for wireless laptop  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
broadband for wireless laptop
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:40:09 PM »
I begrudgingly chose Verizscam, only because the other two were reported on as problematic (Att and Sprint).

$60 a month for 435 Kbps on my downloads.  That's b.s.  And i have plenty of beef on my laptop, that is not the problem.  The problem, the Verizscam tech says is they do not have enough towers near my area.  Nor any plans to build more.  This has been Verizscams line since 1996.

Solutions?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: broadband for wireless laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »
Seems to me you should drop them and try one with better service in your area. What other solution could there be?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:47:14 PM »
And the one with better service would be?

All of the big 3 suck.  You geeks got some way to boost my broadband?

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »
Why do you need the wireless broadband access....just scam someones unprotected network?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »

Did you get your new laptop yet?  If not look into ones that have those 3G wireless cards built into them.  That looks to be the direction they are going with that "everywhere internet" concept that people seem to want.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »
Sprint kicks arse.  I had Verizon and it was ok but didn't work well at my house so I switched to Sprint and it's been great.  SD to Sactown, LA to Philly and everywhere in between and it's been excellent.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »

Did you get your new laptop yet?  If not look into ones that have those 3G wireless cards built into them.  That looks to be the direction they are going with that "everywhere internet" concept that people seem to want.
Si.  I've got built in wireless but that doesnt work anywhere and everywhere in San Diego, just select places.  Panera Bread, etc.  Is the "everywhere" hitting SoCal already.  I've heard some cities are very wifi but still by far the minority.  Sprint Verizscam and ATT arent going to miss out on profits just yet are they?

Intel Core 2 Duo 3072MB 800MHz SD Ram.  All the minimums you guys told me to get.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 08:51:45 PM »
You bought a new laptop, have you bothered to go to windows update and make sure your wlan drivers are updated??  your hardware is more than likely fine.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »

Si.  I've got built in wireless but that doesnt work anywhere and everywhere in San Diego, just select places.  Panera Bread, etc.  Is the "everywhere" hitting SoCal already.  I've heard some cities are very wifi but still by far the minority.  Sprint Verizscam and ATT arent going to miss out on profits just yet are they?

Intel Core 2 Duo 3072MB 800MHz SD Ram.  All the minimums you guys told me to get.

It could also be that the wifi in your area hates gay people and is treating you accordingly....just a thought. :-\
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:54:12 PM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:17 PM »

Right but what I am getting at is you would have a built in card that could hook up to get 3G network speeds.  The new Dell's have them.  With that and the Wifi hotspots you get coverage in most places.   

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 02:43:22 AM »
^^ You mean a laptop card that lets one access the free Wifi like Panera Bread Co has?  Or the fee Wifi that Chardyucks has? (WoWs coin of Starbucks)  Because other then that the vast majority of SD County does not have free Wifi.  If this card you speak of makes it free all over please speak.  But i know my tech said the lap comes with the gizmo that makes it free for the places that have free Wifi such as Panera Bread, but again, thats far and few between in SD County.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 11:30:01 PM »
^^ You mean a laptop card that lets one access the free Wifi like Panera Bread Co has?  Or the fee Wifi that Chardyucks has? (WoWs coin of Starbucks)  Because other then that the vast majority of SD County does not have free Wifi.  If this card you speak of makes it free all over please speak.  But i know my tech said the lap comes with the gizmo that makes it free for the places that have free Wifi such as Panera Bread, but again, thats far and few between in SD County.

You are talking two different technologies.  One is wirelss ethernet (wifi), the other is wireless broadband (Verizon cellular modem).  Wifi only works if there is a wireless access point, like a CharedYucks or Panera.  Wireless Broadband works anywhere you can get a cellular phone signal.

Wifi = No charge (Zero point zero.....)
Wireless Broadband = $65.00 per month.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:36:12 AM »

You are talking two different technologies.  One is wirelss ethernet (wifi), the other is wireless broadband (Verizon cellular modem).  Wifi only works if there is a wireless access point, like a CharedYucks or Panera.  Wireless Broadband works anywhere you can get a cellular phone signal.

So which one is he talking about?
And in SD free wifi is severely limited, right WoW?  Very few areas of SD have free Wifi.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 09:34:36 AM »

And in SD free wifi is severely limited, right WoW?  Very few areas of SD have free Wifi.

I am talking about 3G which is wireless broadband internet from say AT&T.  The newer laptops have those 3G wiireless cards built into them and are suppose to do a better job of getting and holding a signal.  Problem is if you are not in a heavily populated area you will not get the bang for your buck.

Honestly I need to be able to use the internet a lot.  Either to remote desktop home into my own network, to answer email, or to connect to client sites but I find myself not needing internet everywhere.  I have my emails go to my blackberry and everything else can wait.  I personally don't want to get tied to the internet always, that just means ill be busier OR i'll screw around more than I already do heh

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 10:08:03 AM »

weastkoast is talking about BRODBAND, so where you in the first post. 

What it sounds like to me is you are trying to use Wifi to get FREE access at places that offer free Wifi and you are NOT using your Verizon BROADBAND connection.  My Verizon card worked in SD at places like Hotel Circle, Poway, Qualcom Stadium...bascially all over SD so I don't understand what problems you are having other than not using the right connection.

You should have some Verizon software on your PC, use that to connect to the internet all the time, don't even use Wifi, it's close to worthless.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"