Author Topic: Mavs @ SUns  (Read 8949 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Mavs @ SUns
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
Since no one has really put it in plain english for you Reality....

The very fact you have 20 known semi-gay pictures on your hard drive that you took time out of your day to photoshop Lakers logos makes you look like a homosexual.

Plenty of high school players have been busts.  Out of the hundreds that have come to this league at a very young age I can only think of 5 off the top of my head that turned out to be awesome players.  Kobe was not a sure bet.  Anyone says he was is lying. 

By the way, W.O.W is a Latino.  Do you think you could put more effort in and search for images of, I dunno Officer Ponch?  Cheech?  Why are you doing it half way and just using images you already have on your HD?  At least maybe we would think you were trying to be funny instead of trying to be gay.

Reality has been exposed by the Real Spurs fans as a fag.  His collection of photos just cements his flamming reputation around here.  I'm sure there is a photo of that Liberachi (sic?) physic on the web some where.  Whenever I see that guy on my parents TV I just stare at my mom and dad for a minute to try and figure out WTF are they doing watching that flammer.

Back to the discussion, I mistakenly put Gasol into the mix, he was not bought he was traded.  So the ONLY guys I can think of that the Lakers just bought is Shaq. 

I'm still waiting on the EXTENSIVE list of players the Lakers bought from Lurker.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 11:03:06 AM »

I'm still waiting on the EXTENSIVE list of players the Lakers bought from Lurker.

And I am waiting on a discussion above the first grade level from you.  So far you have added nothing to the discussion but snide comments.  Show me some of the in-depth analysis that you...in our last discussion thread... claim to post.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 11:17:55 AM »

And I am waiting on a discussion above the first grade level from you.  So far you have added nothing to the discussion but snide comments.  Show me some of the in-depth analysis that you...in our last discussion thread... claim to post.

Pointing out how simple minded and childish your comments about the Lakers "asking" for draft picks is snide?  I guess it is but you are making THOSE comments without any backup, there is NOTHING to analyse because the "gifting" of draft picks has no merrit.  It takes two to tango and the Lakers didn't force any team to do anything.  The fact that their draft pick ended up being #1 was not within the Lakers control.  Just silly comments on your part that stems from you hurt feelings about the TD draft gift comments.  It's so obvious it's not worth arguing over.

Not to metion that the POINT you made was the Lakers "bought" players.  When you realized that point has ZERO value you change the discussion to draft picks.

Typical.  ::)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »
Not to metion that the POINT you made was the Lakers "bought" players.

WOW, you are not a child. 

A team doesn't have to outright "buy", "sign to a contract", "monetarily gain", or outright "steal" any player in plain view of the public at large or the media to have considered "BUYING THE PLAYER".  Since no one here knows about the under-the-table handshakes, shady incentives, or late night conversations between owners and executives and how across 5 decades, cycle after cycle, decade after decade the Lakers mysteriously come up with whoppers like Gasol vs. Kwame.

Its the all-encompassing, celestial, GOD-LIKE Intelligence and foresight of Laker Front Office employess since NBA time immemorial!!!

PUH-LEAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2008, 03:25:23 PM »

A team doesn't have to outright "buy", "sign to a contract", "monetarily gain", or outright "steal" any player in plain view of the public at large or the media to have considered "BUYING THE PLAYER".  Since no one here knows about the under-the-table handshakes, shady incentives, or late night conversations between owners and executives and how across 5 decades, cycle after cycle, decade after decade the Lakers mysteriously come up with whoppers like Gasol vs. Kwame.

Its the all-encompassing, celestial, GOD-LIKE Intelligence and foresight of Laker Front Office employess since NBA time immemorial!!!

Lurker said the Lakers simply buy players, that is not the case.  I agree that they have made trades that seemed very lopsided but that is not what Lurker said.  If you want to re-frame the point of discussion that is fine with me but dont' try to spin mid-debate and expect me not to notice. 

Where was the outrage when the Lakers traded Shaq for Butler, Odom and a useless Grant?

Where was the outrage when the Lakers traded Butler for Kwame?

Where was the outrage when the Lakers traded Jones and Elden for Rice?

PUH-LEAZE INDEED!

Piss off with your weak arse comments, the Lakers are not the Yankees.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »

Forget it Skander.  You got the meaning.  Most of the reasonable posters understood the meaning.  Just the obstinate ones who aren't interested in actually having a discussion missed it.  He can claim the Spurs winning the lottery is a gift but I can't say the Lakers bought players.

WOW has no interest in actually using facts or trying to understand anyone's points.  He is just in a pissypants mood to make the thread run longer.  Just like in the other thread where he finally acknowledged that I stated his point of view...even though he never could state it because then the thread would have ended.  And "what fun is that".
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2008, 04:31:35 PM »

Forget it Skander.  You got the meaning.  Most of the reasonable posters understood the meaning.  Just the obstinate ones who aren't interested in actually having a discussion missed it.  He can claim the Spurs winning the lottery is a gift but I can't say the Lakers bought players.

WOW has no interest in actually using facts or trying to understand anyone's points.  He is just in a pissypants mood to make the thread run longer.  Just like in the other thread where he finally acknowledged that I stated his point of view...even though he never could state it because then the thread would have ended.  And "what fun is that".

Yea, ok Lurker.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2008, 10:34:58 PM »
Or how about trading Nick Van Exel in his prime for Tyrone Lue and Tony Battie.....

All large size font and bolding aside the point I was trying to make is that they are not the Yankees of the NBA.  There is not this endless sack of money that Jerry Buss is throwing around to attract players.  OBVIOUSLY players can and do get attracted to LA for the attention.  You don't see the franchise going the Dallas Mavericks route and buying up players.  The team that is built right now was done on trading and drafting.  Aside from Fisher/Radman who were picked up as free agents (and not strickly based on money for the record).  Odom, Ariza, Gasol, and Bryant all came from trades.  Farmar, Walton, and Bynum were all drafted.

Now say what you want about money or special rules or secret conspiracy theory back room deals.....I think that is hard to swallow for the following reasons:

1) I don't see where LA has the advantage in drafting.    Drafting Bynum so early at the time was a gamble.  Everyone remembers that.  Farmar was also a gamble and he looks like he is a solid pg.  Where does LA's bank roll and media appeal help here?  Are they told who is going to be good from Marty McFly?

2) If you are saying there was a special backroom hand shake for Kobe, I disagree.  Vlade Divac was still a very good player.  Once he left the Hornets and went to the Kings he was a very important piece in making Sac-Town one of the elite teams.  Kobe Bryant was an 18 year old high school player who was a question mark coming into the NBA. 

If you are talking about the Pau Gasol deal.    Maybe there was a secret deal or maybe the GM really thought getting more room on the books and getting Marc Gasol was a good idea.  If Marc Gasol continues to improve then he doesn't look like an idiot.  The trade was done by the Lakers for an instant turn around.  The Grizzlies did the trade for the long term.  The Lakers needed a solid big man right away.  The Grizzlies wanted to gear up for years in the future.  They get a 7 footer who needs to develop and 10 million off the books.  The Lakers get a quality big man right away.  The Lakers should be judged on the trade right away, it was made to change things right away.  The Grizzlies was for the future so I don't get why they were judged right away on what they were planning.  Just my take.

Or maybe the GM just made a bad trade?  Why is that not a possibility Skander?  I mean Mitch traded Shaq for Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom.  A trade I believe you said was stupid (correct me if I am wrong)  Why is it since it's the Lakers it's back room deals.  When the Jazz got Carlos Boozer it wasn't  :D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:45:24 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2008, 10:49:10 PM »
With a salary cap it's kind of hard to have a 'yankees' team - but i would think marc cuban would have to qualify before buss?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »
With a salary cap it's kind of hard to have a 'yankees' team - but i would think marc cuban would have to qualify before buss?

True but that doesn't mean you can't spend a lot of money.  You just have to pay a tax.    Allen did it in Portland when he put together the Blazers in 2000-2001.  Cuban has pretty much done it since 2001.  The Knicks have a yearly pay roll that comes close to 100 million.

The Lakers did not just go out and buy players to put around Kobe.  While a lot of us were complaining they were not opening up the pocket book they were developing talent and looking for ways to improve via trade.  I would agree with Lurker and Skandery if there was actual proof of the Lakers always doing this.  I can't just go off backroom conspiracy theories UNLESS we assume Tim Duncan and Carlos Boozer were back room deals as well.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »
See - 3 great examples before Buss - I'm not sure who originally called the lakers the 'yankees' of the NBA but it's really an insult to the lakers and not really indicative of what the yankees do (pretty unscuessfully these days) and it's been proven that you can't just do it WITH money in baseball - it helps to have good people and good scouts - the red sox have a great amount of money no doubt but they also have a great front office, a great scouting system, in all nations it seems, and that's why to me they would be the 'class' of MLB.

But it's really apples and oranges comparing the two different leagues as they work so differently.

I think people over react to the grizz trade as the conspiracy thing - come on - the grizz wanted to dump gasol quickly and the lakers made the first offer - you got a young stupid GM being pushed by one of the worst owners in sports probably to 'dump gasol asap' - so he took the first offer...maybe the fact that west was in memphis at one point made the lakers the first call - but that's dumb luck - i expect any team with big expiring deals could have gotten gasol if the call went to them first.

I've always wondered if NBA GMs (or GMs in any sport) have a 'group email' or discussion forum type thing where they can put their players 'on the market' easily :)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »
See - 3 great examples before Buss - I'm not sure who originally called the lakers the 'yankees' of the NBA but it's really an insult to the lakers and not really indicative of what the yankees do (pretty unscuessfully these days) and it's been proven that you can't just do it WITH money in baseball - it helps to have good people and good scouts - the red sox have a great amount of money no doubt but they also have a great front office, a great scouting system, in all nations it seems, and that's why to me they would be the 'class' of MLB.

But it's really apples and oranges comparing the two different leagues as they work so differently.

I think people over react to the grizz trade as the conspiracy thing - come on - the grizz wanted to dump gasol quickly and the lakers made the first offer - you got a young stupid GM being pushed by one of the worst owners in sports probably to 'dump gasol asap' - so he took the first offer...maybe the fact that west was in memphis at one point made the lakers the first call - but that's dumb luck - i expect any team with big expiring deals could have gotten gasol if the call went to them first.

I've always wondered if NBA GMs (or GMs in any sport) have a 'group email' or discussion forum type thing where they can put their players 'on the market' easily :)

The other thing people conveniently forget is the ONLY reason the Gasol trade actually happened was because Bynum went down with a major injury.  Bitch Cupcake admited in an interview on the radio with Mychal Thompson that he only called the Grizz AFTER Bynum was hurt to "restart" trade talks that had died off after no agreements could be made.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »
WOnder where gasol would have ended up if bynum didn't go down - interesting cause i'm guessing he would have gone somewhere

Utau - why aren't you real?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2008, 11:43:22 PM »
WOnder where gasol would have ended up if bynum didn't go down - interesting cause i'm guessing he would have gone somewhere

Utau - why aren't you real?

About a week after the trade I posted an article about 10 deals the Grizz could have made that were as good, if not better, than the Lakers trade.  From the interviews of the Grizz GM it sounds like nobody was calling the guy.  Most GM's around the league said the Grizz were asking too much, that is probably why the Lakers broke off trade talks as well.  But when Bynum went down the Lakers got on the phone with the Grizz, I wonder why no other GM in the league made an effort to work the Grizz a little more.  It's like a sales guy that takes "no" for an answer right off the bat and gives up.  Someone making the kind of bucks a GM makes should be working every other GM 24/7 IMO.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"