Author Topic: No one is talking about Malone . . .  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
No one is talking about Malone . . .
« on: April 15, 2004, 11:24:58 AM »
How come we haven't heard anything on Karl Malone's sprained ankle? Is it a serious injury? Is he going to miss time in the playoffs? Is anyone in denial about this?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 11:30:05 AM »
How come we haven't heard anything on Karl Malone's sprained ankle? Is it a serious injury? Is he going to miss time in the playoffs? Is anyone in denial about this?
i thinkeveryone pretty much hates his hacking arse so much they just dont give a damn about it.........or maybe thats just me....... :D  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 11:38:42 AM »
Moderate sprain.....probably will be dropped down to a mild sprain.  Questionable for Saturday but knowing Karl he is going to suit up.

I think there is a Spurs conspiracy thoery going on.....The NBA is paying off players to hurt Malone so the Lakers arent 100% :rolleyes:
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 11:50:41 AM »
Last time he was injured it was a "mild" hyperextension. Hopefully it wasn't a Laker doctor who made the diagnosis. They've done wonders for Kobe's shoulder.

Poor Karl. Little do Laker fans know that Karl was cursed the minute he left Utah. Still, it may not matter if GP can play in the triangle.

This goes against everything I hold true and good in this world, but if Karl misses games in the playoffs, especially the finals, I hope the Lakers win. Imagine that. Karl gets a ring while sitting on the bench. Oh man, I'd bust a kidney on that one.

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 12:00:55 PM »
Last time he was injured it was a "mild" hyperextension. Hopefully it wasn't a Laker doctor who made the diagnosis. They've done wonders for Kobe's shoulder.

Poor Karl. Little do Laker fans know that Karl was cursed the minute he left Utah. Still, it may not matter if GP can play in the triangle.

This goes against everything I hold true and good in this world, but if Karl misses games in the playoffs, especially the finals, I hope the Lakers win. Imagine that. Karl gets a ring while sitting on the bench. Oh man, I'd bust a kidney on that one.
You mean if Gary can play defense.  I am so convinced his defensive skills have fell off that I call him MC Hammer pants instead of the glove because hes sorta on the player but not close enough to keep them from moving around.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 12:01:20 PM by westkoast »

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 12:27:25 PM »

You mean if Gary can play defense.  I am so convinced his defensive skills have fell off that I call him MC Hammer pants instead of the glove because hes sorta on the player but not close enough to keep them from moving around.
GP is still a gifted defender but he simply can't keep up with quick point guards.  He does fine against players like Bibby, etc. who are a little slower but players like Francis, Parker, Bobby Jackson who are fast simply are too much for him to handle.  He would actually do better guarding Cuttino Mobley in the first round and allow Kobe and Fish to guard Francis.  I'd rather see GP play Bowen and/or Manu than watch him guard Parker as well.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 12:28:43 PM »
Anyone who noticed the difference on the Laker team this year when Malone played versus how they struggled in the games he missed can figure out what Karl actually means to the LA team.

Malone did not go to the Lakers with the idea of missing any playoff games, once they start.

He would suit up if they told him it would mean amputation after the season.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 01:41:54 PM »

GP is still a gifted defender but he simply can't keep up with quick point guards.  He does fine against players like Bibby, etc. who are a little slower but players like Francis, Parker, Bobby Jackson who are fast simply are too much for him to handle.  He would actually do better guarding Cuttino Mobley in the first round and allow Kobe and Fish to guard Francis.  I'd rather see GP play Bowen and/or Manu than watch him guard Parker as well.
No excuse for him getting torched by Cassell.  Gary cannot guard alot of 2 guards either when Phil drops Kobe down to the 3.  Its not only his speed but its rebounding also.  The Lakers havent been breaking on the regular since the begging of the season.....I dont know why he isnt trying to crash the boards more.  Maybe he should get tips from another Oaklandite (sp)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 05:12:51 PM »
Poor Karl. Little do Laker fans know that Karl was cursed the minute he left Utah.
Little do the Utah fans know but playing for Utah is a CURSE!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 06:35:40 PM »
I may be inclined to agree with you WoW, except for the fact that the only reason Malone doesn't have a title in Utah is Malone.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 09:37:45 PM »
I may be inclined to agree with you WoW, except for the fact that the only reason Malone doesn't have a title in Utah is Malone.
I think the rest of the sports world would disagree with you.

It has more to do with a certain Tarheel.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 11:12:35 PM »

Damn that Mitch Kupchak

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 10:47:15 AM »

Sorry WoW, but take it from someone who has watched every game of both series several times, the Jazz had so many opportunities to win those series. If Malone could have kept Dennis Rodman from a few critical offensive rebounds, or if he could have had the brains or the balls to fouled Scottie Pippen at the end of the game in Game 5 series 1, the Jazz could have had a good shot at tying the game at least.

Malone was outplayed by Rodman in most games, relegated to shooting fall-away jumpers, and when put on the free throw line in crunch time, he shot less than 40%. Oh yeah, and somehow he lost track of Michael Jordan while holding the ball way out in front of him, allowing the easiest steal in NBA finals history.

But still, maybe you're right. Maybe Karl just didnt' have what it takes when put on the same floor as MJ. If I were a Laker fan, I would hope and pray that by some freak chance the ball doesn't go from Kobe's hands to Karl's hands in crunch time. The Mailman just ain't got it.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 11:57:11 AM »
This one is too near and dear to my heart for me to pass up commenting on it.

The biggest reason Malone doesn't have a title in Utah is KARL MALONE.

In the championship serieses against Chicago, Malone settled for long-range jumper after long-range jumper.  Because of Rodman's defense?  No.  Because - the first time around, Malone was trying to prove he deserved the MVP trophy he had been awarded, and the second time around, he was trying to prove people were wrong about the first time around.  It wasn't Rodman's defense - it was the defense of BRIAN WILLIAMS that affected Malone more.  Malone didn't cut to the lane off of pick-and-rolls - he broke to the outside, over, and over, and over - with Skander and me screaming about it the entire time.

It wasn't Karl Malone's jumper that is the threat - it's the fact that he might go strong to the basket; draw a foul; get your players in foul trouble, bruise them up, or put the fear into them of getting in his way again; and hit a high percentage of shots.  But Malone kept insisting that it was the game plan for him to shoot outside.

Malone abandoned his strengths to try to compete against public perception...and he lost.  It wasn't a last-minute steal or anything of Malone "choking in the clutch."  The problem was FAR more serious.  Karl Malone abandoned the type of game that got Utah there in the first place.  It wasn't "choking," it was just plain trying to do things that you can't do.

If Shaquille O'Neal abandons his post game for hoisting up three-pointers, the Lakers will lose if they keep putting the ball in the hands of Shaq, and they'll lose if they use Shaq to get other people open.  Teams live and die by the game they typically play, and if they abandon it, bad things happen.  One only needs to look at Karl Malone's performance in the two finals to see that.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2004, 11:57:22 AM »
If I were a Laker fan, I would hope and pray that by some freak chance the ball doesn't go from Kobe's hands to Karl's hands in crunch time.
Who needs to hope and pray when the Lakers have Kobe?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"