Author Topic: Marbury-Diantoni. Believe either one of them?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Marbury-Diantoni. Believe either one of them?
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:51:32 AM »
A couple weeks ago, Jalen Rose (i know, consider the source) said there was no way Marbury was refusing to play, lest the Knicks suspend him without pay.  I thought he said the Knicks could even suspend him for multiple games, even the season?  Thus Roses point was no way would Marbury refuse to play hence miss out on money. 

Okay fast fwd to a few days ago.  Knicks are down to 6 players, and i think two guards.  DiAntoni asks Marbury to play.  He refuses. 
Marbury is now saying, and espn quotes:  "Mike gave the option to play," he said. "He couldn't come to me man to man and say, 'You have to play.' It was an option."
Do you find this to be Clintonesque b.s., or in the context of the whole soap opera is Marbury justified?  Whole article with many other quotes here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3736322

Myself, when Marbury said he would not take one penny less in a buyout, I lost any respect i had for him as a player.  Zero interest in winning a RealTitle.

jemagee

Re: Marbury-Diantoni. Believe either one of them?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
Myself, when Marbury said he would not take one penny less in a buyout, I lost any respect i had for him as a player.  Zero interest in winning a RealTitle.

So you'd take less money than agreed upon from your job if you were being shoved out the door and forced to find another job?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »

So you'd take less money than agreed upon from your job if you were being shoved out the door and forced to find another job?

So many people put up that same BS comment.  I can understand taking a slight cut but I'm not taking too many "millions" less than the contract just to get my butt out the door.  I'm sure some team is willing to pay some cash for Starbury but then again he has been a terrible "player" for many years, people who actually pay attention to the game knew this about him WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY before this contract issue.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »
And so many people ignore the comment because of the scope of the money and think it's not relevant.  the NBA Players are doing their jobs - and yet people want them to do their jobs they'd never agree to

And there's no guarantee that Marbury gets another NBA contract, sure there are rumors, but his history to me makes it really unlikely unless teams are bloody desperate...so this could be his last contract, plus I do think he got jerked around by d'antoni and walsh, if they weren't going to play him, they shouldn't have played him in training camp and they shouldn't have made him think he would play.

Yes Isiah messed this situation up but D'antoni and Walsh have aggravated it. 

And it's not like the Knicks don't have the money to pay him.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:42:01 PM »
Jem...no Marbury shouldn't be required to take less money to go away.  But if he is going to force the Knicks to uphold their end (paying $21 mil) tehn he should hold up his end.  IMO that means playing when asked, waving towels from the IR if asked and being a solid TEAM player during games and practices.  Marbury wants the money without living up to the obligations.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »
Jem...no Marbury shouldn't be required to take less money to go away.  But if he is going to force the Knicks to uphold their end (paying $21 mil) tehn he should hold up his end.  IMO that means playing when asked, waving towels from the IR if asked and being a solid TEAM player during games and practices.  Marbury wants the money without living up to the obligations.

Acording to Marbuy he has been doing what he's been "asked", his argument was that it was HIS "option" to play or not.  I would die laughing if the was asked to wave towels and cheer from the sidelines to "earn" his $21 million.  I WOULD LOVE THAT!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »
There seems to be conflicting issues on why marbury didn't play - but what seems clear is that the knicks did play marbury all during the preseason even they evidence indicates they had no plans for him to play at all this year...if they weren't obsessed with 2010 maybe they wouldn't have traded for a guy with a damaged heart (who knew mobley had heart issues, i didn't)...and then they wouldn't have had to go hat and hand to try and get him to play for a day or two so the trades went down.

I don't have any respect for marbury in general, but in this situation he got jerked around by the knicks 'new' regime much like the old regime and he sort of jerked back.

It's the knicks and the more this nonsense happens the more the knicks get egg on their face and show to the 'big 2010' guys that maybe they are a 'class' organization.  The longer this drags out the worse the knicks look and the worse 'savior' walsh looks

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 01:04:09 PM »
There seems to be conflicting issues on why marbury didn't play - but what seems clear is that the knicks did play marbury all during the preseason even they evidence indicates they had no plans for him to play at all this year...if they weren't obsessed with 2010 maybe they wouldn't have traded for a guy with a damaged heart (who knew mobley had heart issues, i didn't)...and then they wouldn't have had to go hat and hand to try and get him to play for a day or two so the trades went down.

Mobley's condition has been "known" since his college days.  Every team he's played for knew it was well.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 01:06:44 PM »
Mobley's condition has been "known" since his college days.  Every team he's played for knew it was well.

So are the knicks just trying to find a way out of paying him?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »

That's under the assumption he is doing work right?  I mean if you are not doing any work, your boss asks you to work on a project but since he didn't tell you then you sit, and you haven't done anything for this organization other then rat out top management (In his case Isiah) in 2 years........
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 02:29:20 PM »
He's done exactly what the organization asked him to do this season until supposedly one incident

they asked him to go away