Author Topic: Brandon Roy as good was Lebron and Kobe? (Byron Scott losing it?)  (Read 11365 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Brandon Roy as good was Lebron and Kobe? (Byron Scott losing it?)
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »

I guess you missed the whole :
.....There is a HUGE difference between "focusing" on one particular player vs. completely changing your defensive scheme/game......
thing huh?

No.  A defensive plan is devised for each game.  The defensive scheme is the basic defensive sets & strategy.  A coach changes the plan...within the overall team defensive schemes...depending on who their opponent is that night.  But defensive schemes generally only change when there are coaching xchanges.

When teams play the Lakers, Kobe is the defensive focus.  When teams play the Cavs, LBJ is the focus.  When teams play Portland, Roy is the focus.  When teams play the Thunder, Durant is the focus.  Some of these players will be more effective combating that defensive focus but the game plan will be to put those players as the top defensive focus.  But teams don't install new defensive schemes just to play Kobe or LeBron.

This is so simple even Reality understands it.

That is where the argument should focus Lurker, not on your obsession with Kobe.  IMO the defenses thrown at LeBron/Kobe, and in the past Shaq, were the equivalent of installing a new defensive scheme.  Something you said ONLY happens when there is a coaching change.  IMO the defensive changes teams make to play LeBron/Kobe is the equivalent to a "coaching change" type of adjustment.  I saw it last year from Boston vs LeBron and Kobe and I have seen it durring the regular season, changes I NEVER see for players like Roy, which is the whole point of my posts.

I'm glad you see my point, you just don't agree and that I can deal with vs. the name calling and red herring "Kobe" comments.

I am glad that I could explain your point since your argument consisted primarily of "no way Roy belongs in this conversation".  Maybe if you would have expounded on your views of defensive plans vs defensive schemes or clarified your meaning of "not in the same league" then this thread could have been about 10 posts shorter.

Care to explain what "fun" that would be?

P.S. My first post was about "crack", but my second "same league" post already addressed my "focus" vs "scheme" point.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »
Zig:
I'm not sure what your problem is and why all of a sudden you need to be combative with posts filled with ad hominem attacks, but please let me know whether this is a permanent change in Ziggy's tone or temporary so I know whether to put you on my ignore list.

Thanks.

I wonder how many "ignore" lists I'm currently on?  :-\
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »
Does anyone on this board agree with Ziggy he belongs in the same breathe with Kobe Bryant and Lebron James?

Wk this is very simply the post that really torqued me off.  I didn't even come close to saying anything of the sort.  I said I could see it becoming a pissing match, and it did right here.

The post was meant to get more people involved in the thread at hand.  I asked if anyone agreed.  This is a basketball message board and the whole point of creating threads is to get people to debate.  It's not like I called anyone else an 'idiot' if they disagreed with me.  Don't try to blame you blasting off fully on me and take some blame for overracting.  No need to call DB an idiot or stupid, whatever.

If that sort of thing throws you off into calling other people idiots then maybe you need to lighten up?  This wouldn't be the first time you flew off the handle on a very basic and simple comment.  The last time being when I said "As a basketball fan you have to respect Kobe Bryant's game"  like the phrase "but you got to respect..." is similar to "in the same breathe"  they are commonly used terms.  If you took slight to it that is YOUR fault and not MINE.

Maybe Skander/Lurker are right in that is what Byron meant.  He is a key player for the Blazers.  The thing is it sounded to me like he was going overboard because he specifically said Kobe and Lebron.  Those two are on a level no one else is on.  Whereas every single team in this league has a player that needs to be 'focused' on when they come to town.   Teams don't just focus in on Lebron and Kobe they dread seeing them, they throw EVERYTHING at them, and then more times then not they end up failing to stop them.  Roy is not quite there yet.  He is not a 'feared' player.  No one should take this as a knock to Roy nor should they think I dislike him.  The few times I did get to see him in recent years I thought he was a quality player and a great pick up...just like I think Vince Carter is a quality player or Caron Butler or Baron Davis or T-mac, etc.  I however don't feel any of those players are the same as Kobe or Lebron.  People lose sleep over trying to figure out how to defend Lebron James.  I don't think people lose sleep over Bradon Roy (YET)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:01:39 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
Zig:
I'm not sure what your problem is and why all of a sudden you need to be combative with posts filled with ad hominem attacks, but please let me know whether this is a permanent change in Ziggy's tone or temporary so I know whether to put you on my ignore list.

Thanks.

Wait - this board has ignore lists?  I can't find em

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 02:04:14 PM »
... Baron Davis...

NOW you sound "stupid/idiot"!  "Keeper" hater!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »
... Baron Davis...

LOL.  I know he's playing like crap right now (I partially blame the idiot coach slash gm) but BD is def a player that other teams focus in on.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »
... Baron Davis...

LOL.  I know he's playing like crap right now (I partially blame the idiot coach slash gm) but BD is def a player that other teams focus in on.

It really sucks to see what happened to BD.  Some of it is his fault for not driving to the hoop anymore.  The other problem is that Dumbleavy calls in every play that is not a fast break.  IMO BD is the 2nd best PG in the league, the guy is unguardable and can dish out assists as well as, if not better than, anyone not named CP3 or Nash.  The problem this year has been his shot selection and the inability to "free wheel" with the Clippers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 02:16:29 PM »
... Baron Davis...

It really sucks to see what happened to BD.  Some of it is his fault for not driving to the hoop anymore.  The other problem is that Dumbleavy calls in every play that is not a fast break.  IMO BD is the 2nd best PG in the league, the guy is unguardable and can dish out assists as well as, if not better than, anyone not named CP3 or Nash.  The problem this year has been his shot selection and the inability to "free wheel" with the Clippers.

How to you drive to the hoop when you have Marcus Camby, Chris Kaman, and now Zach Randolph in the middle?  Might as call them the Los Angeles 405 Freeways with that kind of traffic jam.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »
Zig:

Thanks.

There's an "Ignore" list? Why have I not been told of this before, you inconsiderate jerk, dabods. And don't hide behind that "Ignore" list, dabody. I can see you peeking out from behind it.

Note to ziggy, before questioning the intelligence of dabods, you should clear that with the rest of us, referring to Rule #57, which states:

Rule #57 - "Before questioning the intelligence of the moderator, using Ad hominem arguements  :P, the poster must first clear this type of attack with the "Rules and Manners" Committee, headed by JoMal, who will have the deciding vote on the content of the comment."

It is too late now, but I would have suggested you reword that statement, "Derek if you can't see that, then maybe you are not as smart as I give you credit for", in a way that JoMal would have approved, such as "Derek if you can't see that, then maybe I should rethink my arguement to conform with yours and reduce my own intellect down the the median of the board, instead of trying to strive for excellence in posting and elevate the drival commonly spewed forth from the likes of <insert pathetic poster name here as an example>. If only I could state this as mockingly innovatively as JoMal, then it would be clear how superior I am to all", or something like that. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 03:39:45 PM »
Rule #57 - "Before questioning the intelligence of the moderator, using Ad hominem arguements  :P, the poster must first clear this type of attack with the "Rules and Manners" Committee, headed by JoMal, who will have the deciding vote on the content of the comment."

IMO terms like "Ad hominem" should only be used on the Einstein board which is that way------------->
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 04:17:13 PM »

IMO terms like "Ad hominem" should only be used on the Einstein board which is that way------------->

IMO terms like "Ad hominem" should only be used on the Einstein board which is that way-------------> :P
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 09:50:31 PM »
Does anyone on this board agree with Ziggy he belongs in the same breathe with Kobe Bryant and Lebron James?

Wk this is very simply the post that really torqued me off.  I didn't even come close to saying anything of the sort.  I said I could see it becoming a pissing match, and it did right here.

The post was meant to get more people involved in the thread at hand.  I asked if anyone agreed.  This is a basketball message board and the whole point of creating threads is to get people to debate. 

You asked if anyone agreed with Ziggy in that he belongs in the same breath with Kobe Bryant and Lebron James?  Only I never said he should belong in the same breath.  You put words in my mouth I never said, or even came close to saying.  You change Ziggy to Byron Scott in the same post, and nary a peep from me.  This is the same thing I had with Randy.  I make a post, he changes my words to suit what he wants to argue, and I call BS.  What I am supposed to do, just ignore your misstatements and act as if I agree with what you posted, when I don?t?  I called you on it.

It's not like I called anyone else an 'idiot' if they disagreed with me.  Don't try to blame you blasting off fully on me and take some blame for overracting.  No need to call DB an idiot or stupid, whatever.  If that sort of thing throws you off into calling other people idiots then maybe you need to lighten up?

There are two things that really light me up on this board.  One is being accused of something I didn?t do, and having words put in my mouth.   Once again wk, I didn?t call anyone an idiot.  So I will be reasonable and tell you right now, you are way out of line with this, way out of line.  You are making things up, and it is not a little thing either.  That is what sets me off.

DB is telling me that ?this? is what I posted, choosing to ignore a very important part.  I told him what I posted, and if he couldn?t see what I posted, then maybe he isn?t as smart as I give him credit for.  That is a very far cry from calling him an idiot, not even close.  Based upon what goes on around here that is a typical little tongue-in-cheek poke.  I have never been anything but deferential and respectful of Derek over the years.  To describe what I said as calling Derek an idiot is a sham, and purely a rationalization on your part to make it seem as if you were blameless and I am some wild eyed jerk.

Can I be a jerk, and a smart ass, and a pompous know it all?  Sure, I never claimed otherwise.  To characterize me, as Derek did is okee dokee, it is his opinion, and he is completely entitled to it.  If Derek finds no value in what I post, and sees me only as someone who needs to be combative with posts filled with ad hominem attacks, then so be it.  He can ignore away if that is what he wants to do.

I though, feel comfortable in saying there is only one person I owe an apology to, and that is Skandery.  I popped off on him 6-8 weeks ago, and I got overly defensive.  So my apologies Skandery, I was out of line.

Skandery may think I should apologize for the BCS posts the last couple of years, but I see it differently.  I could see he wanted to argue the BCS, and no one was willing to argue with him about it, so it was my gift to him.  I took the opposite side, just so he could vent away.

Other than that one incident though I feel no need to apologize to anyone.

OK WK, you don't like Brandon Roy, we get it. 

But like the long lost Randy you seem to be afflicted with, "I going to make things up and then argue them as statements of fact", so please show me where exactly it is that I said that.

This is where I supposedly went off the farm and lost it.  OK wk, go look at your Durant post.  This is exactly what you said referring to my point.  I just threw your words back at you in a different context, and I am now the one doing the attacking.

I have no problem with you.  I just don?t choose to look at everything in the prism of Kobe, LeBron, or D Wade.  I was going to in depth about this and the Durant post, but I am going to let it go.  I hear your points, but you need to understand in neither case was I arguing your point, or saying anyone is in the same category as these 3 guys.  That is the context you wanted to frame the discussion, but I didn?t want to frame it that way.  You proceeded to change what I said and frame it within your context. 

This wouldn't be the first time you flew off the handle on a very basic and simple comment.  The last time being when I said "As a basketball fan you have to respect Kobe Bryant's game"  like the phrase "but you got to respect..." is similar to "in the same breathe"  they are commonly used terms.  If you took slight to it that is YOUR fault and not MINE.

OK WK here is what I said, in two separate posts

Quote from: ziggy
With all due respect, I don?t have to do jack fricking diddly.  I very well may respect his work ethic, his commitment, his killer instinct, his talent, his skill, his athletic ability, and in fact many many other things about Kobe, but it is the height of Laker hubris to demand that I respect anything about him.

Quote from: ziggy
You don't think I got your point?   Of course I got your point, I was just going over the top to show you the absurdity of your point.  You of course didn't get mine.  I shouldn't have to do, believe, or like anything, regardless of what you or anyone else says.  To believe otherwise is the definition of hubris, hence my earlier reference.  To qualify it by stating that this only applies if you are a basketball fan, is a non sequitur.  It is not an argument where the conclusion follows the premise.

Sure I freely admit, I went way over the top, and I did so deliberately.  I said so clearly here.  What you took as a personal attack, was simply me going over the top to make a point.  I didn?t take slight in what you said, and Way Out West for one got it.  You took slight in what I said.

Was it worth it, and would I do it again?  No it wasn?t worth it, you never did get my point, so no I wouldn?t do it again.  Did I go off on you about Durant?  Not hardly.  Go look at the thread.  Did I go off on you in this thread?  Sure, because you made up my words.  I am not about to apologize for calling you on it.  If you or Derek got offended by that whooptee fricking doo.

Maybe Skander/Lurker are right in that is what Byron meant.  He is a key player for the Blazers.  The thing is it sounded to me like he was going overboard because he specifically said Kobe and Lebron.  Those two are on a level no one else is on.  Whereas every single team in this league has a player that needs to be 'focused' on when they come to town.   Teams don't just focus in on Lebron and Kobe they dread seeing them, they throw EVERYTHING at them, and then more times then not they end up failing to stop them.  Roy is not quite there yet.  He is not a 'feared' player.  No one should take this as a knock to Roy nor should they think I dislike him.  The few times I did get to see him in recent years I thought he was a quality player and a great pick up...just like I think Vince Carter is a quality player or Caron Butler or Baron Davis or T-mac, etc.  I however don't feel any of those players are the same as Kobe or Lebron.  People lose sleep over trying to figure out how to defend Lebron James.  I don't think people lose sleep over Brandon Roy (YET)

I hear your point, Roy isn?t in the same category as Kobe, LeBron.  If you want to add Dwade to your big two and make it a big three, that is fine as well. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, and there is no argument from me.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 10:51:21 PM »
John Hollinger has the Blazers rated as the 4th best team in the league, and he is clearly their best player.  Maybe Byron Scott is losing it, or maybe he is just ahead of the curve.

Ziggy, when you say "maybe he is losing it, or maybe he is just ahead of the curve", immediately after you have presented supporting evidence of why he may be ahead of the curve (with no evidence of why he's losing it), it at least LOOKS LIKE you may be supporting Byron Scott's assessment.  Even if that wasn't your intention, it can at least be misconstrued that.

Which is why when posting on message boards, you should at least provide people the benefit of the doubt. 

And I certainly don't think there was anything I did to provoke the response I got.  I tried to explain how what you posted could have been construed the way it did.  I did not attack you.  I did not insult you.  In return I got a "maybe you're not smart" comment in return.  I don't appreciate that, and I don't recall that being your style.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:55:16 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2008, 01:18:06 AM »
Idiot..stupid...sounds like the same thing to me.  You act like I completely made things up Ziggy.  You did insult his intelligence.  Whether you said idiot or stupid is really beside the point and splitting hairs.  BOTH are terms that are used to insult someones intelligence and one is not worse than the other, right?  So just stop with the whole I never said that as if you never said anything remotely close to what I posted.  Try not to be too upset because I put 'idiot' in your mouth instead of 'stupid'  ::)

The whole "ahead of the curve" comment really is what pushed me in the direction of you thinking he should be mentioned with them when it is all said and done.  If Byron Scott was ahead of the curve then he knows ahead of time that Brandon Roy is going to become a player as good as Kobe Bryant and Lebron James?  That makes logical sense right? Maybe you can admit it was a bad choice of words on your part and not just me "putting words into your mouth" ??? 

Hay but this thread did exactly what it is suppose to do on a BASKETBALL message board which is spur a debate.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:27:40 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 02:07:37 AM »
Idiot..stupid...sounds like the same thing to me.  You act like I completely made things up Ziggy.  You did insult his intelligence.  Whether you said idiot or stupid is really beside the point and splitting hairs.  BOTH are terms that are used to insult someones intelligence and one is not worse than the other, right?  So just stop with the whole I never said that as if you never said anything remotely close to what I posted.  Try not to be too upset because I put 'idiot' in your mouth instead of 'stupid'  ::)

The whole "ahead of the curve" comment really is what pushed me in the direction of you thinking he should be mentioned with them when it is all said and done.  If Byron Scott was ahead of the curve then he knows ahead of time that Brandon Roy is going to become a player as good as Kobe Bryant and Lebron James?  That makes logical sense right? Maybe you can admit it was a bad choice of words on your part and not just me "putting words into your mouth" ??? 

Hay but this thread did exactly what it is suppose to do on a BASKETBALL message board which is spur a debate.

This is also a pet peeve of mine, people putting words in my "post" and trying to make an argument.  ziggy did not call Bods stupid let alone idiot.  Please re-read his posts, he said Bods might not be as smart as ziggs gives him credit for, that's not calling someone stupid IMO.  If you want to call someone stupid you could say something like "you're stupid".  Some of you guys have a hard time staying on point, or debating point by point, you must be non-techie people.  Some of you get confused about who said what and couldn't stay on point if your 401K depended on it.

This thread did what most threads around here do, mingle drama in with a b-ball debate.  Still better and smarter than all rah-rah boards on the net.........
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"