Author Topic: Sixers @ Wolves - November 19 2008  (Read 8405 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Sixers @ Wolves - November 19 2008
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 11:48:02 PM »
It almost seems like they are trying to keep Thad from scoring, reminds me of everyone saying that Dean Smith was the only guy who could consistently hold Jordan under 20 ppg, Mo does that for Thad.  Young is ridiculously more offensively talented and dialed in than anyone on our team right now, but why give him the ball?

I was fired up seeing Thad get the ball twice in the post early in the game. 

You've been harping on this since game one, but I was still concerned about putting too much on the kid's plate too fast- but this is getting ridiculous.

Iguodala makes everything look so difficult, and yet they keep going to that and leave Thad twiddling his thumbs in the corner.  i mean at some point its got to be common sense that there is an easier way to run the offense.

And what happened to taking Brand out of the deep post and runnimg the pick and pop at the foul line for him?  It worked great against the Raps, and then all of the sudden they put him back deep in the post?  Who is at the wheel?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 11:57:12 PM »
Our best pick and pop guy with Brand is Willie Green right now, and they are rarely on the floor together.  Give the ball to Thad 3-4 more times a game and run the pick and pop about 3-4 times a game, and boom, Thad and Brand are both putting up 20 ppg without either one hogging the ball.  I agree that Thad should ease into the role of number 1 offensive option, but giving him no shots while Iggy fires away from outside is ludicrous.  The offense is also much more potent when Speights is running with Brand.  Miller and Sam need to go by this summer, Iggy needs to go to Mark Price's school this summer and a more compatible PG has to be top priority for acquisition between now and next year.  Losing Sammy and geting Jason Smth back would be a wash if Speights progresses.  I would love to add 'Sheed in FA (won't happen) as a big to compliment Speights, Brand and Smith next year.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 12:00:01 AM »
Any chance we can leave the rodeo clown in OKC the next time we play the Thunder?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 12:07:32 AM »
Skates:

If we can get rid of Sammy, I love the idea of 'Sheed...maybe he takes the MLE to come home?

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »
At the end of the game the sixers needed threes, i saw two offensive sets where they tried to get looks at a 3, one out of a time out, one not, the one out of the time out seemed run for iguodala, the run not was willie and andre iguodala passing back and forth to get an open look.

Thad was nowhere to be seen

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 09:33:58 AM »
At the end of the game the sixers needed threes, i saw two offensive sets where they tried to get looks at a 3, one out of a time out, one not, the one out of the time out seemed run for iguodala, the run not was willie and andre iguodala passing back and forth to get an open look.

Thad was nowhere to be seen

He was easily seen, he was the guy no one was passing the ball to.

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »
I know mo doesn't call plays for thad, but maybe it might have been a good idea to design a play to get him the open look at the 3 instead of Iguodala?  I mean I didn't even see him touch the ball in either of those sets, maybe I just missed it.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:31 AM »
Put it this way.  You did not miss it.

I'm glad this team finally has so much talent- which is a huge upgrade from where the team was when they cut ties with AI and CWeb.  But it is painful watching the pieces being underutilized. 

I'm sure to some extend some guys like Thad, Lou and Speights are not completely ready to carry the load.  But its still painful to watch players like Iguodala, Sam, Evans and Miller work so hard to generate shots that are so bad, when there are gifted natural scorers whose talents are as of yet being wasted.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »
Put it this way.  You did not miss it.

I'm glad this team finally has so much talent- which is a huge upgrade from where the team was when they cut ties with AI and CWeb.  But it is painful watching the pieces being underutilized. 

I'm sure to some extend some guys like Thad, Lou and Speights are not completely ready to carry the load.  But its still painful to watch players like Iguodala, Sam, Evans and Miller work so hard to generate shots that are so bad, when there are gifted natural scorers whose talents are as of yet being wasted.

Some coaches are good at getting the most out of overachieveing, undertalented teams - Mo is a good example of this.

Other coaches are good at getting a talented team to mesh and execute, to put players in a position to succeed by playing to their strengths and limiting the exposure of their weaknesses - Mo is absolutely, positively NOT a good example of this.

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »
Some coaches are good at getting the most out of overachieveing, undertalented teams - Mo is a good example of this.

Other coaches are good at getting a talented team to mesh and execute, to put players in a position to succeed by playing to their strengths and limiting the exposure of their weaknesses - Mo is absolutely, positively NOT a good example of this.

Sounds like an excellent description for an assistant coach doesn't it?  Someone to work with those undertalented guys to maximize performance...

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »
The problem is that Mo doesn't seem to know a simple concept that most of us learn the first time we pick up a basketball video game.  Getting the ball to your best scorer on offense is usually a good plan on offense.  I mean, it's not a difficult concept, you'd think it would be obvious.  Either Cheeks is blissfully unaware that Thad is the team's best option on offense or he does not think that Thad is ready to handle it.  I really hope it's the latter, because if it's the former, he should be fired yesterday.

Who's the worst coach in Philadelphia right now?

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »
Who's the worst coach in Philadelphia right now?

Mo Cheeks - far and away

In my opinion Andy Reid hatred and this mcnabb OT thing are really being blown out of proportion...did Sikahima really say Reid should be fired cause he's fat on the radio eysterday?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:54:13 AM by jemagee »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 12:42:35 PM »
Andy Reid critcism is warranted.  If you're going to bitch about Mo getting the most out of his players, Andy Reid's combination of scheme and poor player fit is monumentally aggravating.  McNabb, through his career, is more accurate (in relation to the rest of the league) on medium to deep passes than on short passes, is excellent off the play action, has a beautiful deep ball, and is better playing against zones than man-man, and really struggles on timing passes and short drops.  So, what does Andy do?  Throws the bal 58 times, runs it 15, never establishes a running game to play action off of, and concentrates on timing routes, short passes, and accuracy.

Oh, and the WR's they get to put in this offense that passes 65% of the time?

Forgettable would be a nice way of putting it.

A system based off of yards after catch, with a QB who doesn't hit receivers in stride, and receivers who aren't good at getting yards after the catch.

Genius.

It's downright infuriating.

The last 4 years this has been a .500 team.  They're going to miss the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.  If he were Mo Cheeks he'd be fired.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:46:10 PM by Derek Bodner »

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »
Andy Reid has a more accomplished resume over his career coaching than Mo Cheeks - in my opinion.  I didn't say it wasn't warranted, I said I felt like it was over blown - especially if you have commentators saying he should be fired cause he's fat (that's what I heard when i flipped through ESPN radio yesterday, don't know if it's true)...I'm sure there could be warranted reasons to fire Andy Reid - but his weight - or his family issues as some others used the moment his kids got arrested - don't seem like valid fireable offenses to me at face value.

The original question was who was the worst coach in philadelphia right now - and i think it's mo no contest because he doesn't have a history to indicate to me he'll get any better....

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 12:48:06 PM »
What does someone idiot radio announcer have to do with this argument?

I'm still perplexed on how it relates to the original question.