Poll

Pick an available PG to replace Andre Miller from the four choices listed below.

Player A
Player B
Player C
Player D
None - Keep Miller

Author Topic: POLL - Possible Replacements for Andre Miller  (Read 13242 times)

jemagee

Re: POLL - Possible Replacements for Andre Miller
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »
Lou fits in between those classifications somewhere and is the next likely starter this year IMO, long term i'm not sure.

Lou fits in between two of those classifcations and is nowhere near the 3rd one...he's not a pure passer, it's not his instinct (which is fine, he never was asked to be it) and I still don't believe he's a starter in the NBA at PG any more than Monta Ellis is a point guard.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »
I thought miller would have helped atlanta a couple years ago when we could have used that pick to get acie law

eww... He would definitely not had been my pick.  Besides that it appears the NBA 3 is beyond his range, his pg skills are only  maybe slightly better than Lou Williams'.  And he's a mediocre at best defender.

Law's one of those guys who was overrated at draft time because he had "it" and was "clutch", two descriptors hard to quantify and based on very small sample size that doesn't necessarily translate to when he's playing against other guys who have "it" and are also "clutch" at the next level, but who also have "talent".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:12:26 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »
If Lowry has a good jumper out to 20 feet I would think he would work.  I certainly like his toughness.

I just worry that his decent midrange jumpre commands about as much respect as Miller and Rondo's decent midrange jumper.  They hit them because they are wide open and the defense is willing to play off them and settle for the consequences.

We need a PG who can keep a defense honest- but I don't care if it is Monte Ellis range or Arenas range.  Both draw the defenses full attention.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 07:15:54 PM »
I voted C before I saw the names for sure, although I had A and B.  I don't see how Lowry helps us.  Our problem is that we can't shoot.  Bringing in another guy who can't shoot really doesn't help.

Lowry has a pretty respectable mid-range to deep 2 jump shot.  He doesn't have nba 3 range, but his range has been improving pretty well since he was a freshman at 'Nova. 

He's not a perfect fit currently, but he's Young (22), cheap, and his defense and ability to get in the paint would be good qualities to have.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:13:56 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »
I am in love with Lowry as a back-up, I really don't see him as a long-term starter in the league.

jemagee

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »
You gotta wonder why Crittenton can't get off the bench in Memphis don't you?  I mean neither Conley nor Lowry are tearing it up.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 12:10:42 AM »
You gotta wonder why Crittenton can't get off the bench in Memphis don't you?  I mean neither Conley nor Lowry are tearing it up.

Everything I read says that Memphis and most scouts see him as a SG, not as a point.  With Mayo playing big minutes it looks like Javaris will stay buried for now.  What we need to find is some Eric Snow-like gem sitting on someone's bench, unloved and available for the picking.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 01:20:58 AM »
So I just looked up Miller's year-by-year stats.  His one year with Brand was the only year in which his shooting % was below 45%.  It was 40%.  Can you say "incompatible"?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 01:24:57 AM »
Might have something to do with Miller not getting as many chances to take his man down in the post.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 06:02:50 AM »
So I just looked up Miller's year-by-year stats.  His one year with Brand was the only year in which his shooting % was below 45%.  It was 40%.  Can you say "incompatible"?

if you want to do the extra-effort and really dig down deep, you'll notice that year was also one of two years (not counting the injury year) Brand's scored less than 20 ppg.

Nice "catch".

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 09:41:40 AM »
After last night's performance I nominate Willie Green as our new starting point guard.   ;D

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 11:13:28 AM »

if you want to do the extra-effort and really dig down deep, you'll notice that year was also one of two years (not counting the injury year) Brand's scored less than 20 ppg.

Nice "catch".

Not only was that Brand's 2nd lowest scoring effort, it was also his highest MPG effort.  And if you look at PER (which only goes back to that year), neither of them have had a PER lower than that year since.  This seems like a genuinely bad combination.

jemagee

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »
This seems like a genuinely bad combination.

Do the 82games.com 'unit' stats go back that far?  Be curios to see how they perform when not together as well...and how that team was in general

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 11:58:24 AM »
You need look no further that W-L's to see that team was a disaster.  I'm not sure how much had to do with Miller and rand, versus the team as a whole.  I'm sure a Clips fa might be able to shed some light on the horrible season (although ad seasons might sort of all blur into one if you are a clips fan.)

Mayble I'll put up a question on the Clipps board- or maybe not given the bitterness and horrible start over there.

jemagee

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 11:59:18 AM »
What we need is access to Frankie Muniz - avid clippers fan and has been actor