Poll

Pick an available PG to replace Andre Miller from the four choices listed below.

Player A
Player B
Player C
Player D
None - Keep Miller

Author Topic: POLL - Possible Replacements for Andre Miller  (Read 13357 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: POLL - Possible Replacements for Andre Miller
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 04:47:14 PM »
O.K.  I voted for D- but mostly becasue he has a good nickname.

Thank god for wikipedia.  That is one excellent nickname.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »
None of them sound as 'pass oriented' as I would like

D is, even if his stats don't reflect it.  He's pass oriented, but a little bit careless with the ball at times. 

Truthfully, D is the player I know the least about, and the only one with no Philly ties that I know of.

In a round-about way he does.  His nickname is related to the nickname given to a dunk of a certain big man we used to have.

5 degrees of separation :)

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »
I thought that dude retired?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 05:14:20 PM »
And he also had an earlier nickmame...  This is from his nbadraft.net report from 2004:

For ****, the nickname "Sp***** Magician" wasn't given, it was earned ... His imaginitive, charismatic, off the wall playing style combined with innate leadership abilities, has earned him not only respect, but the interest of many NBA scouts ... Owns a variety of offense weapons, but is at his best when breaking down defenders with his lethal crossover, or feeding a teammate for an easy basket ... Incredible quickness and ball handling ability make taking any defender 1-1 appear effortless ... Most impressive is his ability to find the open teammate in traffic ... He has the uncanny ability to see passing lanes before they open up, thus enabling him to nearly always make the right decision with the ball. While not incredibly gifted athletically, **** always finds a way to get the shot up, or draw the foul when around the basket ... Hits open shots, especially in the clutch, and shoots the three ball well enough to keep any defender honest ... Absolutely loves to run the fast break, using his extreme quickness and good finishing ability to convert most of the time ... Quickness and anticipation make him a capable ball hawk, as well as a solid off the ball defender ... His nickname (The Sp**** Magician) fits him well, sometimes it appears the moves he makes, and the passes he fires, aren't real ... This kid has a world of talent, and just must continue to develop.

Weaknesses: Not really a physical marvel (6'3, 170 lbs.) ... Not very strong and can still be pushed around by the bigger guards ... Still prone to being careless with the ball, and can get carried away trying to entertain, making impossible passes, or trying to force a three when a smart play is needed ... Often goes for the flashy play instead of the simple, smart, play Also could use some work on defense, mostly staying fundamental and exerting the same intensity and effort ... Outside jump shot also needs some fine tuning, it is very formidable now, but shot selection and shooting percentage both need improvement.

Notes: Many Sp**** scouts compare him to Jason Williams because of his flare for crowd pleasing plays. However, unlike Williams, **** has leadership abilities that can allow him to be a better pro. Needs more experience, but has already had a two breakout games with 18 and 14 points.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »
I think most people on this board have figured out who is who, but if not it is getting a little silly anyway.  Here are the names, but the poll stays open in case voting for the name is more fun for you than voting simply for their game:

A. Kyle "I need a cool nickname" Lowry
B. "Sweet" Lou Williams
C. Michael "Mike" or "Bib" Bibby
D. Sergio "Spanish Chocolate" Rodriguez

jemagee

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 05:42:13 PM »
Derek Confused me and I was thinking white chocolate :)

I think the spanish chocolate is the nickname dbods was referring to in reference to dawkins chocolate nickname?

I'm not sure about Lowry any more - he's getting minutes in memphis this year but not out playing anyone - crittenton at least doesn't get minutes so he's more unknown :)  The grizz have lots of PG none of them playing very well this year.

My thoughts on Lou are well known.

Bibbys too old for my tastes

D is impossible to even think about obtaining

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 05:49:18 PM »
Do you think Miller would help Atl?  I think he would be a great fit with their players and style.

jemagee

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 05:53:20 PM »
Do you think Miller would help Atl?  I think he would be a great fit with their players and style.

I thought miller would have helped atlanta a couple years ago when we could have used that pick to get acie law :)

Right now - I don't see how miller is an upgrade over bibby - and both are expiring deals aren't they?

Atlanta is the 'hot team' right now - undefeated - not missing josh childress - is miller an upgrade over bibby in their system?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
The team that could probably use Miller the most is Houston, but we don't really match up with them on a trade very well.  There seems to be a rash of PG injuries this year and that may well be the way Miller gets moved, if he goes.  I suppose Portland is a possibility as well.  Memphis remains a mystery to me.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »
I was thinking that Atl has a bunch of good athletes that can run.  They also have good enough shooters to cover for his absent jumper.  Before this recent hot streak, they seemed a bit rudderless at times, and in need of a take charge pg who could get them running.

Bibby almost plays SG for Atl, and maybe that's all they need given how JJ can dominate the ball.  I just think Miller would be a good fit until Law figures it out (if he ever does.)

jemagee

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
If the sixers trade Andre Miller to Atlanta - Acie Law BETTER be part of the package coming back

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »
I don't think Miller would be seen as a fit in Atlanta.  With Joe Johnson handling the ball so much in the half-court, they are better off with Bibby who is a much better shooter than Miller.  Bibby seems to give them just enough PG play to compliment Johnson.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »
I voted C before I saw the names for sure, although I had A and B.  I don't see how Lowry helps us.  Our problem is that we can't shoot.  Bringing in another guy who can't shoot really doesn't help.

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 06:52:54 PM »
I don't see how Lowry helps us.  Our problem is that we can't shoot.  Bringing in another guy who can't shoot really doesn't help.

Bring in a point guard who doesn't fele he has to shoot 15-20 times a game would be nice - point guards are supposed to set up other players...miller isn't doing that

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »
I voted C before I saw the names for sure, although I had A and B.  I don't see how Lowry helps us.  Our problem is that we can't shoot.  Bringing in another guy who can't shoot really doesn't help.

He actually shoots quite well from long distance on two pointers, the three seems out of his range for now.  The question is whether we need a PG who can shoot the three (Hinrich, Bibby) or one who can hit the long two and drive the ball to the basket and finish (Lowry) or are pure passers (Rodriguez).  Lou fits in between those classifications somewhere and is the next likely starter this year IMO, long term i'm not sure.