Author Topic: Fire Andy Reid  (Read 4593 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Fire Andy Reid
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:50:51 PM »
Now.  Do it.  Don't wait.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Fire Andy Reid
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:10:03 AM »
The defensive line is the one you should be mad at.

Offline tk76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »
The team has been soft for a while now.  Its always a risk when you field a pass first team, but now they are soft on both sides of the ball.

I don't know if I fire Reid, but the team is clearly on its way down.  I can't imagine McNabb will survive the rebuild- but Reid probably will.

I don't know how much of Reid's NFC success had to do with timing (his division foes where way down for a while) but his past success will probably buy him a some ime beyond this season.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:37:25 AM »
The defensive line is the one you should be mad at.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of eagles football, but the inability to gain one yard at very key times (goal line, key 4th and 1) and the predictable play calling in such situations does not seem the defensive lines fault.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
^^^ Yeah that failure at 3rd and 2 then 4th and 1 was majorly disappointing.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:21:43 AM »
3 of the 4 games we've lost could've been changed to wins with the ability to pick up 1 yard.  I don't see what that has to do with the D-line.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:31:25 AM »
stat was flashed that Philly is 3-3 on 4th down passes, 5-14 on runs.

Sure looked like NY was stacking against the run 100% on the 4th down play. 

Should pass have been called? 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:49:30 AM »
Admittedly I don't watch a lot of eagles football, but the inability to gain one yard at very key times (goal line, key 4th and 1) and the predictable play calling in such situations does not seem the defensive lines fault.

Giving up 219 yards of rushing at 5 yards per pop, however, is.

Clearly, short yardage is a problem.  But we get in those "must make this play" situations because of giving up 219 yards of running offense and the giants having the ball for twice as much time as the Eagles.

The 4th and 1 is the talking point, and it's clearly a problem, but what you should walk away from that game is how much the giants offensive line dominated our defensive line.  That's where we lost the game last night.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:18:44 AM »
I'm not disagreeing that the running defense was crappy last night - but even with the way the defense played the eagles have been losing key winnable games because of their inability to make the short yardages.

THere was another game this year - at the goal line - 4  plays - and they couldn't get in - the shortage yardage thing is just not this game - it's happened before this year.

Andy REids play calling is predictable and stale and lacks creativity (donovans a pretty big dude, think he could sneak for a yard?) - teams know what is coming.

I'm not advocating firing reid - but someone else needs to be calling the plays - everyone knows what's coming with pillsbury dough boy

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »
did the Eagles defenders legitimately strip that Giant rb at the goaline?  I was watching with sound down.  Looked like a strip to me.  Refs said he crossed the plane.  I dunno about that.  I think Giants recovered also.

Then did you see the rb come back onto the field to try to get the ball and get sent packing by the refs?  :D

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »
I am SO freaking tired of Andy Reid and his act.

But, beyond his "I've gotta do a better job there" crap (yeah...you THINK?) and the utter lack of EXECUTION of the offense (that Jackson-in-motion-behind-McNabb crap - over and over again - points to this offense's utter inability to simply go out there and impose their will on another team), the worst aspect of Andy Reid's tenure as supreme ruler of the Eagles is something that has been given relatively little play in the media...

The draft.

While the Eagles have done a decent job with some low-round picks and UDFA's, their 1st day draft record during the Reid era has to simply be one of the worst in the NFL...and there is no place where it has hurt us more than at the line of scrimmage - in particular on the defensive line, where a MASSIVE amount of 1st day capital has been invested in the Reid era...mostly to laughable results.

One only needs to look at the Eagles offensive and defensive lines versus the Giants to see what an utter and abject failure Reid and his staff have been in this critical area.  Think about the BIG-MONEY FA's...the 1st and 2nd round picks invested...and look at how the Giants PWNED us last night.  The Giants had exactly ONE 1st round pick (Kiawanuka), one 2nd round pick (Snee), a couple of decent FA signings (O'Hara and Robbins...certainly not the high-profile, high $$$, low-productivity signings like Kearse and Howard) and a bunch of lower-round and UDFA guys...who basically bent over our players for a national TV audiences' viewing pleasure.  The Giants lose two major guys from last season's DL, including their best player to injury (Osi), and they simply took us to the woodshed.

It's a shame that the Dallas game will be the laast time that we see McNabb at the Linc in Eagles' green....

How much I wish it was the "fat man's" last home game instead.

(gold standard, indeed....WAKE UP, Jeffey-boy!!!)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 12:51:50 PM »
Some of the blame does have to fall on Reid.  He challenged some dumb plays and wasted his timeouts in a close game.... and you can't deny that his predictable play calling in 3rd/4th down situations is pitiful.... our entire season can broken down to our inability to move a few yards over several games... and more often than not we've had numerous opportunities to get it done.  That's another loss in our division, which we couldn't afford. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:47:17 PM »
Reid is the one who's responsible. He assembled this team, including the offensive and defensive lines. 

The play calling is atrocious.  If you fail on at a 3rd and 1 with a running play, the next play should be a QB sneak.

McNabb is pretty streaky, but he's good more often than not. 

The Giants are the best team in football, they are the Champs.  The Eagles aren't that far below them, judging by the score.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »
So Andy REid is responsible for eagles medicority but somehow you seem to think mo cheeks doesn't share the burden of a crappy offensive set being callled?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 11:55:58 PM »
Don't know if you are talking to me, jem...but I'm not the President of the Mo Cheeks Fan Club...I think he was a good guy to have for the post-AI era...but I am increasingly of the mind that we need an upgrade.  He is a "players" coach who seems to be able to motivate his team to play hard for him...but unlike baseball (where "players" managers like Manuel and Francona can win rings), you need a solid "X's-and-O's" coach to get you over the top...and that ain't Mo.