Author Topic: So  (Read 14179 times)

jemagee

So
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:54:25 PM »
nothing to say about the first five games?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: So
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 01:26:17 PM »
Iguodala's struggling in his new role.  We're not forcing the turnovers and getting out on the break, and that's hurting him.  Last year his greatest strength in the half court was getting to the line, and now that he's not the primary option, he's not getting those opportunities.  His jumpshot doesn't look any better, and he's been forcing things at times with his passes.  If there's one person who's struggling to fit, it's been him so far.  This was my biggest problem with the contract.  If he doesn't fit, his trade value is greatly diminished because of the size and length of his deal.  As Young asserts himself, and Iguodala goes to the #3 option, he might fit better, but it's definitely a cause for concern.

Young's been fantastic.  I couldn't have asked his jumpshot to progress any better.  He's the only one I really feel confident in taking a shot right now, and with his high release, it's very hard to contest.  He still has great touch, has shown solid post moves, and his handle and ability to create his own shot is greatly improved.  And he's playing very good defense.  That being said, there are minor criticisms.  While his handle's improved, and he can now iso himself fairly well, he can't handle the ball for extended periods of times.  If he's not moving toward the basket, it's a likely turnover.  He really needs to develop a move driving to his right, as right now he always spins and turns back to his left.  And he doesn't initiate contact at all.  That being said, these all look very correctable.  The team won't truly take the next step until he develops until #1 option.  I almost thing that's a "when", not an "if" at this point though.  He ha "it".

Andre Miller's been very inconsistent.  His lack of range almost bothers me more than Iguodala's, and I don't think his defense has been particularly good this year.  Considering he's the one not under contract after this year, if we're not more consistent by the end of the year offensively, he's the one person you might look to move for a better fit, someone who has more range and maybe is a little better defender, who would take some of the pressure off of Iguodala and open up the lane.

Brand's been good.  Not necessarily great, but about what I expect.  People expected a dominant low-post scorer, but that hasn't really been his game.  That mid range jumpshot has been his bread and butter since before the injury when he was scoring 25 ppg.  He's capable in the post, but not dominant.  Usually a good finisher, and a lot of his points in the paint come off of offensive rebounds.  I think his effects on the glass has been great, he's been a good defender, and the only major complaint is he's not finished tremendously well in the paint.  That being said, I think he's just missed some shots, and don't think it's injury related, so I expect him to regain form fairly quickly.

Dalembert I think has been bad.  Hasn't been that great defensively, and he's been a turnover waiting to happen.  2.8 turnovers per game with how little he handles the ball and how little he's relied upon to create is disastrous.  He's just a bad decision waiting to happen, and has to be the worst outlet passer I've ever seen.  He seems to be pressing with Brand around, and Dalembert pressing is a bad thing.

Lou's been bad.  He hasn't made his shots, and he seems to be passing less than in the past.  And his shot seems to have reverted to more of a line drive push shot.  slightly concerned.

Green's been good, but I don't expect him to continue.

Rush needs to learn that he's just a spot up shooter.  He's not a creator.  He shouldn't try to be a scorer.  He's a shooter.  When he's just a shooter, he can be good.  Otherwise, he's an inefficient chucker.

Speights has been good.  He seems to be pressing offensively, rushing his shots, but when he settles down and gets some experience I think he's going to be valuable.  I'm glad he beat out Theo in the rotation.  He's been good on the glass, particularly offensively, and I like his spot up J.  Once he stops rushing his close bunnies, I'm fairly excited not only about his long term potential but also his ability to contribute short term.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »
Interesting analysis - though the poor ball handling/passing by the two starting guards is starting to bug me as well

Speights has already shown me enough to give him more minutes than evans gets

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:14 PM »
That pretty well sums it up.  

Its good the Sixers have beaten at two bad teams.  they need to get those wins to keep them afloat until the team gels.  It might be a week or it could be 3 months- but definitively everyone's roles are in flux, and it shows.

I'd like to see Brand be more efficient in close- and I'm not as confident that the injury hasn't robbed a bit of his explosiveness- although it still could return with time.  He never was a leaper, but he can't be like Evens or Mark Jackson when he shoots a contested shot in close.

I do like Brands rebounding, defensive instincts, jumper and floor game.  The 2 years pre injury, Brand shot the same ratio of jumpers as Bosh- but actually at a higher percentage (he shoots jumpers from closer in.)

I wonder if when this team finally does mesh if Young ends up as the #1 perimeter option- you know, with actually plays rn for him and all.  I don't know if he is consistent enough to be asked to carry the load- but its clearly going to be his role at some point in the next two years.

Iguodala, Miller and Sam all all question marks as to where they fit in the half court.  I really don't know how this team can fully utilize their skills, and hopefully Ed and Mo have some good ideas how to make it fit.  If things don't ever fit then Miller is gone, Sam likely could be moved, but the 160M men are here for the duration.

BTW- a few more losses and you might see pandemonium at the other boards and posters retreating to this haven.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:46:16 PM by tk76- »

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:45:55 PM »
Its good the Sixers have beaten at two bad teams.  they need to get those wins to keep them afloat until the team gels.  It might be a week or it could be 3 months- but definiely everyones roles are in flux, and it shows.

I suppose - but after the pummeling by the heat last night i'm really not sure what the hell to think any more.

Any thoughts on Mo by the way?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »
I will reserve judgment on Mo.  Like Andy Reid, he never looks all that great as a game day coach, but the last 2 seasons his teams have really taken off the last 35 games of the season- and that has to mean something about him as a coach.  At very least, I know he can keep a struggling, frustrated team together so that they are at least united enough to turn it around.

As I mentioned earlier, the X's and O's are trick given the lack of shooters in the backcourt and the fact that you can't keep Sam close to the basket (or his defender can help too easily) but you can't give Sam the ball and expect even the simplest pass to be made in a timely fashion.

Some of this is on Ed as much as Mo.  This roster has a lot of explosive talent, but it is a bit of a puzzle.  they must have envisioned a way it will fit- and now we have to see if their vision can be executed.  The saving grace is that Thad, Speights and Lou probably will be really improving over the next 2 years- sort of like how Detroits waste of a #2 pick in Darko was hidden with the emergence of Prince and the rest of the team. 

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:54:39 PM »
Well, I think Mo gets too much credit for the sixers performance last season because of the inaccurate pre season predictions of the so called 'experts' who work at ESPN

My problem with the roster right now is that they don't have a back up point guard - except for royal ivey - and that's on stefanski and it's a problem he inherited from king.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 02:05:39 PM »
Well, I think Mo gets too much credit for the sixers performance last season because of the inaccurate pre season predictions of the so called 'experts' who work at ESPN

My problem with the roster right now is that they don't have a back up point guard - except for royal ivey - and that's on stefanski and it's a problem he inherited from king.

Te Sixers did play 67% ball the last 30 games of each of the last 2 seasons- which is overachieving by any measure.  Of course Mo can also be called out fpr the horrible starts those years.

As for back-up PG- I've been pleasantly surprised (actually shocked) to see Lou and WG combining to be effective in the backcourt- sharing the PG duties.  As for Lou- I feel like at some point last year he completely gave up on trying to learn to be a point guard.  Mo started sending him out there at SG a lot last year next to Miller or Ollie, and Lou has not seemed to even try and run the offense since.  Maybe it was a decision by Ed because he though Lou was holding back to much, I don't know.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
Te Sixers did play 67% ball the last 30 games of each of the last 2 seasons- which is overachieving by any measure.  Of course Mo can also be called out fpr the horrible starts those years.

except that's less than 40% of the season - so if they played that well for 40% of the season and still finished under 500 how badly did they play the 60 or so percent of the season...if he keeps saving his job by getting the team to break even i'm unimpressed.

As for back-up PG- I've been pleasantly surprised (actually shocked) to see Lou and WG combining to be effective in the backcourt- sharing the PG duties.

You and I define PG duties differently, running the offense, not turning it over, PASSING THE BALL are things i think of as point guard duties.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »
This just looks like a team that has no clue what it's doing on either end of the floor right now.  This is on Cheeks.  His teams have never started well, and this year looks to be no exception.  I think we need to get Speights as much PT as possible.  Quite honestly, he's looked better than Dalembert so far.  He's missing the gimmes, but I think he's just trying a little too hard right now.  The more he plays, the better he's going to get.  My thoughts on each player at the 5 game mark:

Dalembert - Uh, he blocks shots.  Other than that, he sucks.  At both ends of the floor.  Nothing new here.
Brand - Actually a little disappointing.  He looks slow and awkward at times.  Maybe just out of shape.  Doesn't look like he's used to playing with a full complement of competent players around him.
Young - Superstud.  Nuff said. Needs to work on the handle a bit more, but a huge improvement from last year.
Iggy - Looks totally clueless.  On offense, it's understandable.  But why is he getting consistently destroyed on defense?  I hope that contract hasn't just made him lazy.  That could be a real problem.
Miller - Looks like he's aged 5 years since last season.  Can't keep anybody in front of him, really hasn't been crisp at all on offense.
Evans - He's Reggie Evans.
Speights - Still making lots of rookie mistakes on both ends, but I like the energy on the boards.  Needs to work on getting back on D.
Ratliff - He looks like an old version of...Theo Ratliff.
Marshall - Can't play defense, can't rebound.  Only redeeming quality is his ability to occasionally hit the wide open 3.  Shouldn't get much PT at all.
Rush - Actually plays okay defense, but his offensive game is limited, and it seems he can only stroke the 3 when there's noone near him.
Green - Um, is this the same Green as last year? Looks much more comforable in the limited role he's had this year.
Ivey - Not good on offense, not as good as advertised on defense.  Yikes.
Williams - Looks like he's taken a step back from last year.  Needs to remember that he has teammates on the floor sometimes.

This team just needs to get to the 41 game mark at 21-20 and take off from there.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »
Green - Um, is this the same Green as last year? Looks much more comforable in the limited role he's had this year.

In his 'defense' - he's known from day one what his role would be - last year - well it was a little more undefined and variable.

People need to remember that Louis Williams ain't a point guard

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »
Dabods hit it pretty well.  Iggy is playing badly, very badly, but he did that last year early trying to justify a big contract and now he is doing it trying to live up to one.  Right now he looks like he is afraid of failing and he looks confused too. Iggy is still a capable passer, but everyone on this team is a horrible passer right now.  The offense looks poorly designed and clueless.  Good teams need to win at this time of the year, the last two years we won with young, athletic talent when the other teams were getting tired at the last 1/3 of the season.  With the talent and skills on this team they should be able to execute and beat teams like the Heat.  With a lot of new players I don't expect them to be perfect yet, but this offense and defense are utterly horrible.  The teams we beat we overwhelmed with talent and depth, any team that forces us to actually execute will beat us.

I have no idea if this team even runs actual plays.  I know they seem to be proud of the fact that Thad is the second leading scorer and they have run 6 plays for him in the first 4 games.  That is idiotic.  The offense is completely and utterly stagnant, no one moves, no one is cutting off of the ball and the spacing is horrendous (hey you have the ball, let me run by so that my defender can more easily double team the ball!).  Mo does not get a 2/3 of the season grace period from me this year.  I expect some rough play and sloppiness early in the season, but they look like the Washington Generals out there.  It would be hard to play offense this badly unless you are trying to or have an inept offensive system, and don't even get me started on playing zone coming out of a timeout EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 05:25:25 PM »
To follow up on Ducky's comments:

Dalembert - Uh, he blocks shots.  Other than that, he sucks.  At both ends of the floor.  Nothing new here.  Yes, he has sucked.  Do not pass him the ball unless it is on a lob.
Brand - Actually a little disappointing.  He looks slow and awkward at times.  Maybe just out of shape.  Doesn't look like he's used to playing with a full complement of competent players around him.  He does look awkward, but he is very effective when there are not three guys hanging on him.  The offense could not be more poorly designed for him.
Young - Superstud.  Nuff said. Needs to work on the handle a bit more, but a huge improvement from last year.  All he needs is the mid-range game.  Maybe he has one, but we'll never know until they actually call some plays for him.
Iggy - Looks totally clueless.  On offense, it's understandable.  But why is he getting consistently destroyed on defense?  I hope that contract hasn't just made him lazy.  That could be a real problem.  Mentally he is lost, but I also think he has bulked up a little too much in the last few years.  He runs as well as ever, but might be too tight in the upper body.
Miller - Looks like he's aged 5 years since last season.  Can't keep anybody in front of him, really hasn't been crisp at all on offense.  He couldn't defend last year, that hasn't changed.  In the current version of the offense where everyone stands around and has no spacing, there are no passing lanes, hence his best skill is useless.
Evans - He's Reggie Evans.  Reggie has played well doing the things he does to disrupt the other team.  Speights has played D with the intensity of reggie most of the time, something I am sure he is picking up in practice from his Reggie-ness.
Speights - Still making lots of rookie mistakes on both ends, but I like the energy on the boards.  Needs to work on getting back on D.  Looks very athletic and Brand says he is a great finisher.  In games he can't seem to finish very well, usually because there are three guys standing around him.  I love the consistency of this offensive offense.
Ratliff - He looks like an ancient version of...Theo Ratliff.
Marshall - Can't play defense, can't rebound.  Only redeeming quality is his ability to occasionally hit the wide open 3.  Shouldn't get much PT at all. Yep.
Rush - Actually plays okay defense, but his offensive game is limited, and it seems he can only stroke the 3 when there's noone near him.  In an offense that actually generated open looks he would have a nice role to fill for 10-12 mpg.  Right now, not so much.
Green - Um, is this the same Green as last year? Looks much more comforable in the limited role he's had this year. He is a pretty good fourth guard.  Let him handle and have Lou play off the ball more, it helps.
Ivey - Not good on offense, not as good as advertised on defense.  Yikes. Not enough information to form an opinion.  And are you sure that they intend to actually play defense this year?
Williams - Looks like he's taken a step back from last year.  Needs to remember that he has teammates on the floor sometimes.  Disagree here.  He is running on the ball too much, Stafanski was right that he is better running off the ball.  Who is he going to pass to, no one is ever open.  He has been a very creative scorer, at time our only one other than Thad.  He is not a PG, but most of us knew that already

Mo - Has coached horribly this season.  Apparently slept through pre-season and training camp.  Looks generally disinterested/disgusted/clueless most of the time, or maybe he just has gas.  In either case he stinks.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »
Yeah, Skates, I couldn't've added additional comments to my own any better than that.  The offense is five different one-man games at all times and there's just no interest in playing D.  This team lacks a real leader, and I think that's gonna hold this team back.  Somebody in that huddle needs to nut up and call out everybody.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
Sorry Ducky, but your comment put a little bile in my mouth cause it's silly...and it's also the repsonsibilility of the coach.

So someone tell me again why mo hasn't been fired?