Author Topic: OT: JoMal you have some 'splanin to do  (Read 3307 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
OT: JoMal you have some 'splanin to do
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:10:03 PM »
Well, maybe not you specifically but could you provide on insight on to why, all of the sudden, our lovely state of California went from having a "balanced budget" to being 4 billion behind within a span of 3 weeks?  I thought maybe getting a TRUE INSIDER (similar to Reality's) to speak on it that our CA residence would be a bit more informed.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

Re: OT: JoMal you have some 'splanin to do
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »
Oh the california government, what a bunch of jokers they are...governot can't even enforce his pay cut cause the payroll system is so old it would take too much time (and cost too much) to save any money :)

I'm quite sure electing an inexperienced talentless actor has nothing to do with current problems though

Though, i'm quite sure that gay marriage and the mayor of san francisco are at least 50% to blame

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »
Well, maybe not you specifically but could you provide on insight on to why, all of the sudden, our lovely state of California went from having a "balanced budget" to being 4 billion behind within a span of 3 weeks?  I thought maybe getting a TRUE INSIDER (similar to Reality's) to speak on it that our CA residence would be a bit more informed.

If you want Reality level of information you need to hang out at and plagerize "www.spurstalk.com".  That and google articles from Eastern Europe.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:15:55 PM »
Though, i'm quite sure that gay marriage and the mayor of san francisco are at least 50% to blame

I think gay marriage is closer to 110% of the blame.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »

If you want Reality level of information you need to hang out at and plagerize "www.spurstalk.com".  That and google articles from Eastern Europe.

spurstalk?  is that where he gets his "sources" from?  I don't even go there......
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »
I'm quite sure electing an inexperienced talentless actor has nothing to do with current problems though

It worked for the federal government in the 80s so why not in California?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
Oh the california government, what a bunch of jokers they are...governot can't even enforce his pay cut cause the payroll system is so old it would take too much time (and cost too much) to save any money :)

Nah we had problems long before Arnie got elected.  Not saying it helped but it certain is the only reason.

The blame here is all across the board from Arnie on down on both sides of the aisle.  I just want clarification on how they forgot about 4 billion worth of money that needs to go out up until this past week.  I heard anywhere from 2 to 4 billion but I always pick the highest number when any public projects/tax money is mentioned heh

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »

It worked for the federal government in the 80s so why not in California?

Reagan was the most qualified president ever compared to Arnie when he was first elected - reagan had at least held an elected office (of course it was governor of this bassackwards state, but still)

I presume they 'forgot' about it because they've been so busy railing against each other and blaming each other for the inability to even come up with a budget combined with the fact that many of them are up for re-election?

The democrats screwed this when they supported davis in the recall election - thus handing the office to Arnie

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 02:02:22 PM »
Thanks, wow, but I think I can manage to respond without you insulting my response before I give it.

Now, let me plagarize this -

Revenue sources in California have dried up. Corporate taxes were cut by Governor Davis and Republicans are reluctant to vote them back into place. While Schwarzenegger is a Republican, he acts more like an independent. Think Reagan as far as experience in government, though. He talks to people directly and tries to make them do the right thing (HIS thing) by his force of personnality, which is considerable. But his support people are all former Governor Pete Wilson alumnae - saunch rightwingers. But he thinks for himself and would like to tax those with money more, and they are actually willing to BE taxed more. But there is a road block in the legislature in doing this. That was what has happened the last four years or so as the budget gap either maintained or grew.

Then the housing crisis hit. The ripple effect of this industry tanking was more significant then the effect of the housing downturn itself, which amounted to less then ten percent of the California economy (still the seventh largest IN THE WORLD!!). The sudden affect was catastrophic on all aspects of the economy.

But the bills still need to be paid at pre-crisis levels, and the demands put on the General Fund just keep pouring gas on the problem. The first month after the budget was signed, which contained billions of in money borrowed through bonds that will need to be paid off in the future - the same way the last four budgets got passed - showed we are already 4 billion in the hole for NEXT years budget crisis, and there is no revenue coming in to cover the costs.

Then you have the triggers built in the budget to begin with - education has to get a set percentage of the budget, the Department of Corrections wants 8 BILLION dollars to build advanced medical facilities for ALL prisons in the California system, and the state is being sued to fulfill this legislations that was passed some years back and never dealt with - until now.

Plus, every proposition the good voters of the State pass that costs money comes right out of the General Fund and is taken away from everything else, so when you vote, consider THAT before thinking, "yeah, more money for schools would be a good thing - look how throwing money at the students has worked out (42nd in the nation in educational achievement) up to now."

We are no closer to  solving this problem then we were when the last budget was signed, but at least Schwartzenegger has called back the legislators this week to deal with the crisis before it gets any worse, which it will.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »
42nd in the nation?  So they're getting better, right?

From what I just read there seems to be an unwritten implication that Schwarzenegger bears no blame in this situation but I must admit from the little I do pay attention to - compromise doesn't seem to be a word in his lexicon.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »

From what I just read there seems to be an unwritten implication that Schwarzenegger bears no blame in this situation but I must admit from the little I do pay attention to - compromise doesn't seem to be a word in his lexicon.

Actually, compromise is what Schwartzenegger strives to get, but it often comes across or sounds like, "or else...".

The real problem is term limits. The legislators simply do not have time to devote to common themes, like passing the budget, when all they can do is try to force through their own pork barrel pet projects in their own districts before leaving office. Another brilliant state proposition that absolutely had no vetting through any legal ramifications prior to placing it on the ballet. This is why the proposition system is holding the state budget process hostage.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »
From today's Capital Alert news blurb:

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger told State education leaders today that he would push for a sales tax increase when he calls legislators back to Sacramento next month - and to expect cuts of more than $2 billion in school spending.

The leaders also said the governor estimated the current size of the gap between state revenues and spending in the budget he signed only last month at between $5 billion and $8 billion, and "possibly more."

"He basically said that 'we have to face the new reality,' and that the fiscal situation was even worse than anyone had anticipated," said Brian Lewis, executive director of the California Association of School Business Officials.

Lewis and others who attended or were briefed about the meeting said Schwarzenegger told them he would call for across-the-board budget cuts and "new revenues" - in the form of a sales tax increase -- when the Legislature reconvenes in a special session sometime after next Tuesday's election. The governor also reportedly told the group he believes he can find enough legislative support for the tax hike to muster the required two-thirds approval of both houses.

Schwarzenegger proposed a temporary sales tax increase last August as a way of bridging the then-$15 billion-plus deficit in the budget he signed in September. Absent any Republican legislative support, the idea was dropped. In its place, lawmakers and the governor stitched together a hodgepodge of one-time revenue sources and accounting maneuvers that began leaking red ink almost as soon as it was signed.

Educators said the governor was purposely vague about details of a tax increase, such as whether it would be temporary or permanent, because he said he didn't want to jeopardize negotiations with legislators.

The proposed cuts "would affect everybody," Lewis said, including schools, which escaped deep cuts in the budget approved last month.

"He implied that schools could face as much as a $2 billion to $4 billion additional cut," Lewis said, "which of course we are going to be strongly opposing."

Kevin Gordon, a longtime education consultant, said that while the growing deficit was no surprise, "given the quicksand that the budget passed only a month ago was built on. I'm surprised the number isn't bigger. But it doesn't make it right to target schools as the way to solve the problem."

Gordon and other educators said cuts in the $2 billion to $4 billion range would cripple schools, particularly since they are well into the academic year.

"It would be nothing short of catastrophic," said Scott Plotkin, executive director of the California School Boards Association, "because we're under way. There is no way to find this kind of money to cut."

After meeting with legislative leaders Monday, Schwarzenegger said he would call the Legislature back into special session, even though many members will have been termed out and leave office on Dec. 1.

"He told us it was not only possible, but a necessity to get it done in November because they longer the wait, the less impact whatever cuts are made will have, and also because we have to come right back in January and have to start on next year," Lewis said. "So he really wants to get it done in November."

I cut the article down a bit and highlighted some key issues and comments. The most interesting thing was where it states the budget just passed did not include any cuts to schools, which escaped the calamity the rest of the state's agencies faced, and that now that is looks like schools will have to bite the bullet as well, this Kevin Gordon guy is insisting that it "doesn't make it right to target schools as the way to solve the problem".

Hello!!! The schools were OMITTED from solving the problem before, even though at least 60 percent of the budget goes to education. Without getting education to cut back, there is no fiscal way the state can pay its bills elsewhere.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »
Plus, every proposition the good voters of the State pass that costs money comes right out of the General Fund and is taken away from everything else, so when you vote, consider THAT before thinking, "yeah, more money for schools would be a good thing - look how throwing money at the students has worked out (42nd in the nation in educational achievement) up to now."

Holy Cow! JoMal, you almost sound like a fiscal conservative there. And it seems like you almost approve of Arnold. Is this possible?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
wait wait so another 1 billion was added between yesterday and today?  I heard 2 to 4 YESTERDAY.  Jesus...

And you know what.  I am )@#*ing sick of people complaining about cutting money going to schools so they can reduce class room size.  The teachers and school boards out here are greedy.  Seriously the schools have not improved in the last 20 years.  Why haven't we tried to address the school issue another way then pumping money into the system like we have.  There really has been no results yet every year we spend more and more.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 04:53:16 PM »

Actually, compromise is what Schwartzenegger strives to get, but it often comes across or sounds like, "or else...".

The real problem is term limits. The legislators simply do not have time to devote to common themes, like passing the budget, when all they can do is try to force through their own pork barrel pet projects in their own districts before leaving office. Another brilliant state proposition that absolutely had no vetting through any legal ramifications prior to placing it on the ballet. This is why the proposition system is holding the state budget process hostage.

As one man once said - we do have term limits - they are called elections - i'm not sure why we need additional term limits - it's like protecting the voting populus from their own laziness and inability to distinguish between who is good and bad...