Author Topic: GAS  (Read 5024 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
GAS
« on: October 28, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »
Gas actually went under 2.00 here yesterday...how long until they stabilize the price?  To think we almost hit 5.00 a gallon because of speculation.  Has the price dropped as much where you all live? 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

Re: GAS
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:48:46 AM »
"as much" - i suppose - but it's still 3.11 a gallon for the cheapest stuff

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:05:02 AM »
I've seen gas as low as 2.58 in Phila. suburbs.

On a technical basis, the decline in the price of oil is directly related to the rise in the dollar, which is based on short-term demand to settle derivative contracts, and not based on the strength or soundness of the US economy.

The Dollar is overbought on technical terms, but keeps going up, which implies the buying is forced.  The Chart tells me to get ready to short it, just like a stock, but it also tells me, NOT YET!

This process is making all commodities cheaper, and you should be getting ready to take positions in them, once the dollar starts falling again.  Since the Dollar started it's decline the largest price increase in any commodity has been oil.  With the world economy faltering, it's not clear that will continue.  If the world goes into recession, Gold will be the best thing to be in by far, and it is currently at bargain prices.

If I am right about this, Gold should be above 1600 by 2011.  That means a 100% increase from current prices in 3 years. That's a great return for the average investor, especially in bear market.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:15:29 AM »
Gas actually went under 2.00 here yesterday...how long until they stabilize the price?  To think we almost hit 5.00 a gallon because of speculation.  Has the price dropped as much where you all live? 

Wow really?  I saw gas dip to 2.98 this weekend and I almost crapped my pants.

What is funny is that people in California we SCREAMING about it being 4.40 at one point in time because in the summer we have a special blend that makes our gas 20-30 cents more expensive.   People were jumping on public transportation and traffic really died down a lot.  Then as soon as the gas price dropped the Hummers come back out and the traffic swells to the point where its added 25 minutes to my commute within the last month or two.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 11:23:41 AM »

I live in Central Oregon, about 2-1/2 hours SE of Portland.  Regular unleaded is about $3.17 a gallon, but in Sandy (about 90 miles away, on the way to Portland) it is $2.49.  I have a friend who has been visiting his dad near Branson, Mo. gas has been between $1 and $1.25 a gallon less than here for several weeks.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »
I saw it as low as $2.19 in the burbs around here.  I got a tank in town for $2.39.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 12:48:31 PM »
Its about 2.40 for Regular Unleaded.  I still have to get the Premium (freakin' Germans) at 2.70.  And I still consider that to be too much as I remember just 3 years ago on our long drive to San An and Padre Island, thinking 2.25 was astronomical. 

Price of gas is not only a factor of the drop in price of the oil commodity but the fact that the election is around the corner.  Price of gas goes down every election cycle.  Who wants to bet there will be at least a 10% increase in gas prices during the month after Nov 4. 

I'm surprised I haven't read of people buying it and storing it for re-sale at a later date.  I wish I had the facilities. :D
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 01:09:40 PM »

I'm surprised I haven't read of people buying it and storing it for re-sale at a later date.  I wish I had the facilities. :D

I take it you don't watch 'Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia'

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 01:20:47 PM »
It's an admirable quality in people...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »
It's an admirable quality in people...

It's just a tv show.  Don't worry I think people are smart enough to realize that the 5 knuckle head CHARACTERS on the show are not a direct representation of the fine people of Philly.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
Oh no, it'd be a crappy show whatever city it was supposed to represent - FX does such good dramas it's a shame their 'comedies' are so terrible

Though I liked the one about the people with eating disorders

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »

FREAKIN HILARIOUS SHOW!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 01:59:46 PM »
Its about 2.40 for Regular Unleaded.  I still have to get the Premium (freakin' Germans) at 2.70.  And I still consider that to be too much as I remember just 3 years ago on our long drive to San An and Padre Island, thinking 2.25 was astronomical. 

Price of gas is not only a factor of the drop in price of the oil commodity but the fact that the election is around the corner.  Price of gas goes down every election cycle.  Who wants to bet there will be at least a 10% increase in gas prices during the month after Nov 4. 

Good idea, but impractical since gas is very expensive to store properly.  And the EPA comes after anyone with a gas tank, because they eventually leak, and then they demand that you remove the tank and decontaminate the land (which is why you see so many boarded-up gas stations)

Anyone can try to hedge their future fuel expenses by participating in the future's market.  You can lock in the current price for future delivery and if the price rises, you make out by selling the contract for more than you bought it. But the only commodities you should hold directly are ones that don't decay over time. 

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »
If you're interested in the international view, this is the EURO side of the problem:

here in (Central) Europe we're almost going below ? 1,- (1 Euro) per LITER again (which equals, as you know, ? 3.8 - or US$ 4.8 - per gallon), for the first time in at least a year and a half.

2 months ago we were close to ?1.6 per LITER, and in combination with a EUR/US$ exchange rate of 1/1.6 a gallon was around US$ 9.7 then.

But of course, the average car (like mine) in Europe has a fuel consumption of just 7l/100km, which equals around 36 mpg. So we're paying more for but using some less gas ...
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 04:08:03 PM »
Oh no, it'd be a crappy show whatever city it was supposed to represent - FX does such good dramas it's a shame their 'comedies' are so terrible

Though I liked the one about the people with eating disorders

Sons of Anarchy and The Shield are both really good shows.

I think Its Always Sunny is hillarious though I have to agree that this year hasn't been quite as funny as the previous years.  Its brainless humor.  I take it for what it is and throughly enjoy it.