Author Topic: Bryant hurts knee and leaves game.  (Read 1991 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Bryant hurts knee and leaves game.
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:19:40 PM »
Bryant leaves game with knee injury

Lenny Ignelzi / AP
Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant, left, slides a pass under Charlotte Bobcats' Emeka Okafor during the first quarter of an NBA preseason game, Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2008 in San Diego. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)

SAN DIEGO - Kobe Bryant hyperextended his right knee in the second quarter of the Los Angeles Lakers' exhibition game Tuesday night.

Bryant, who scored four points in 14 minutes against the Charlotte Bobcats, did not come out with the team for the second half. The Lakers announced Bryant will be re-examined Wednesday.

Bryant did not speak with reporters after Los Angeles' 102-98 victory.

"I didn't even ask him about the injury," coach Phil Jackson said. "The trainer said he hyperextended his knee somewhat. We'll see what it's like (Wednesday), then go from there."

Bryant injured his knee jumping for a rebound with 3:08 left in the first half. The reigning NBA MVP limped off the court favoring his right leg. He motioned to the bench to come out and Jackson called a 20-second timeout.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bryant hurts knee and leaves game.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »
I watched the game and it didn't look to be a huge deal.  He hit it and I am sure it hurt but nothing to be too worried about.  It was pre-season and they didn't want to take a chance.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
I watched the game and it didn't look to be a huge deal.  He hit it and I am sure it hurt but nothing to be too worried about.  It was pre-season and they didn't want to take a chance.

I keep missing the frigging games.  How do Bynum and Gasol look together?  How does Odom look?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »

I keep missing the frigging games.  How do Bynum and Gasol look together?  How does Odom look?

They haven't been playing Bynum and Gasol much together.  They do look like they are feeling things out but there is not much to say other then, Awkward.

They have this unit with Farmar, (insert guard), Ariza, Odom, Bynum that is suppose to be their 'running' unit.  They look pretty good.  In fact Farmar has looked like he really improved in the off-season with not only his decision making but his slashing.

Odom looks a bit more aggressive at times.  Much more aggressive then I had seen him for about 90% of last year.  He will take jumpers (and drill them) at will.  He has been attacking the rim and making some good moves.  He looks rusty tho.  A step out of sync/off.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »

They haven't been playing Bynum and Gasol much together.  They do look like they are feeling things out but there is not much to say other then, Awkward.

They have this unit with Farmar, (insert guard), Ariza, Odom, Bynum that is suppose to be their 'running' unit.  They look pretty good.  In fact Farmar has looked like he really improved in the off-season with not only his decision making but his slashing.

Odom looks a bit more aggressive at times.  Much more aggressive then I had seen him for about 90% of last year.  He will take jumpers (and drill them) at will.  He has been attacking the rim and making some good moves.  He looks rusty tho.  A step out of sync/off.

I need to watch a full game so I can give my EXPERT opinion.  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 03:58:17 PM »
I don't watch pre-season games much - who have the lakers been starting if not gasol and bynum together?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:59:02 PM »

I need to watch a full game so I can give my EXPERT opinion.  :D

Wait till the season starts.  They've been doing a lot of experimenting with units so it's hard to really say one way or another.  Sometimes you will see that running unit with that Korean basketball player or you will see it with Cobi Karl.  Sometimes it's with Kobe.

I haven't sat and watched an entire pre-season game from start to finish yet to be honest.  I will flip inbetween the game and anything else that is on since they've been experimenting so much.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »
I don't watch pre-season games much - who have the lakers been starting if not gasol and bynum together?

Gasol has been starting and Bynum has been coming off the bench.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
They've started Bynum and Gasol the last two or three games with Odom coming off of the bench.  At times they've looked  good, but there is definitely a learning curve for those two to operate effectively together.  Gasol has hit some set shots at the high post, but he seems like he wants to operate on the low block with his back to the basket more.

Odom started the first two pre-season games but has been coming off of the bench since.  He's actually looked much better coming off of the bench and playing with the second unit.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Radmonovic has started in his place and other than hitting his first two shots last night has looked like his usual space cadet self.  I'm not sure what Phil sees in him as he recently stated that the team plays better when he starts.  Maybe that statement was just another Phil Jedi mind trick because I sure don't see it.

The two players who've been the most impressive so far in the pre-season have been Farmar and Ariza.  Both have played hustle D and led the team back from deficits the last two games.  Jordan basically single handedly won the game for the Lakers last night with his play in the second half.  He's being much more aggressive, making better decisions and most importantly ... not settling for so many 3 pointers. 

That Chinese player is absolutely terrible.  It doesn't look like he belongs in the NBA at all.  I was surprised to just hear on the radio that they cut Crawford instead of him.  Giles was cut too, which I expected, but I would have liked to see them keep Crawford over the Chinese guy and Coby Karl for that matter. 

Mihm hasn't looked great, but he does look like he's finally healthy.  Hopefully he can get back in to the swing of things because I think he can be a serviceable backup to Bynum and he was really starting to play consistently before he went down with that foot injury two years ago. 

I like Powell and think he can be a valuable banger.  Great rebounder and a surprisingly decent set shot from 10-15 ft out.

The trick will be finding enough time for all of these guys esp, Mihm, Mbenga, Powell, and the plethora of small forwards.  The Lakers are deep, which I'm excited about, but it also poses a challenge of finding the right rotations and minutes for guys.

Is it Tuesday yet?!?

edited to add: Oh yeah and Kobe's injury actually looked pretty ugly to me.  He clanged knees with Powell, but his bent back the wrong way.  Hopefully, it's just a hyper extension and will heal up in a few days.  When it happened I was like, "what the heck is he even doing in there with 3 mins left in the 2nd qtr.  I don't get why Phil is playing Kobe so many mins in pre-season.  If it's me, I play him in the first Qtr and that's it.  One, you don't want him to get hurt.   Two, I think they should have given guys like Crawford, Giles, the Chinese kid, more time.  These kids are trying to make the team, give them some in game minutes to evaluate. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:12:42 PM by msc »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »
He hyper extended it but it didn't look to me like a major injury or anything to worry about.  It hurts to have it bend like that but it didn't go back really far or anything.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 11:03:36 AM »
He hyper extended it but it didn't look to me like a major injury or anything to worry about.  It hurts to have it bend like that but it didn't go back really far or anything.

They said last night it was no big deal and he might even play 2nite.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »
^^^ Yeah, I heard that too.  Good news.  Still, I'd like to see him sit tonight and tomorrow.  Why risk it?  Let Coby Karl start. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 10:29:33 PM »
^^^ Yeah, I heard that too.  Good news.  Still, I'd like to see him sit tonight and tomorrow.  Why risk it?  Let Coby Karl start. 

Why is Coby still on the team?  The Lakers already have to whities on the squad, the Lakers are a title contendor not some firring Rainbow Coalition experiment.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »

. . . and we care because?? . . .
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 10:35:42 PM »

. . . and we care because?? . . .

Sorry Skandy, but no magic flying carpet stories in the news today.  :(
"Not his story"