Author Topic: I would like your honest opinions and feedback on the enclosed news story  (Read 13160 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: I would like your honest opinions and feedback on the enclosed news story
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 12:40:24 AM »
I know a guy who is a blatent racist. He could care less what people think about him. He throws around vile words like beaner, camel jockey, gook, and coon with impunity. His friends and family shudder and shake their heads, but the guy just goes on happy go lucky without a care in the world.

LIAR!!!! I refuse to read another word....until 2morrow anyway.....
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:26 AM »
I know a guy who is a blatent racist. He could care less what people think about him. He throws around vile words like beaner, camel jockey, gook, and coon with impunity. His friends and family shudder and shake their heads, but the guy just goes on happy go lucky without a care in the world.

LIAR!!!! I refuse to read another word....until 2morrow anyway.....

I have proof that Ted is a liar!!! I don't have any friends!  HA!!!  :-\
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »
I don't have any friends!  HA!!!  :-\

Awww . . . that pulled on my heart strings right there.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »
It's a tough question that I am undoubtedly unqualified to answer. Do you ask people to ignore a likely innocent remark at the risk of letting a real racist go unchecked? Did those young men really think JoMal was being a racist when he said "You boys be careful"? Or did they know they were busting a good man's chops over basically nothing. Sometimes I wonder. And then I wonder if I even have the right to wonder.

The reference to my situation has been brought up several times, but it is what was inferred by the exchange I think is more important. These kids were about eight years old or so at the time. Where did he learn to react to the term "boy" in such a way? It was implanted by his parents, no doubt. While zero tolerance for blatant racism is needed, how was this at all thought to be a racist comment? Because his parents told him it was. But I also want you to think about how this situation differed from the coaches situation and how THAT kid handled it.

As was mentioned, these many years later I can still recall the incident very clearly. I also will never use that term as I used it ever again, even for non-black kids. That kid, for all his evident rudeness, made his feelings clear immediately. Had that football player done the same, we probably would not be having a discussion about it.   

2. Jemagee has caught a lot of flack in his short time. And while I, from my admittedly limited exposure to him, think Derek has him pretty much pegged, I do believe jemagee adds more to the board than he takes away. The board is much more lively with two comic foils, and although he sometimes seems close to the kind of meltdown that would precipitate an exile from a staggering fifth message board, I hope he can stick it out. Because he at least makes me feel smart once in a while.  ;D

As I have found out, posters here tend to find my irritating, needling commentary amusing....when directed at someone else on the board.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 12:06:39 PM »
I don't have any friends!  HA!!!  :-\

Awww . . . that pulled on my heart strings right there.

Dang....you tore my heart out with that comment.  I really thought you would step up to my "friend" plate on that one. :(  You really are NOT much of a Mormon.....   :P
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 12:10:01 PM »
As I have found out, posters here tend to find my irritating, needling commentary amusing....when directed at someone else on the board.

I find the fact that you wear adult diapers and need a drool resistant keyboard amusing.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2008, 12:17:48 PM »

Yea it was all gravy when just you and I were going back and forth LOL.

I stopped reading the rest of the comments because I've just chalked it up to "agree to disagree" a few pages ago.  I think going the noose/hanging route was far away from a "joke" and has nothing to do with being PC.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2008, 12:30:15 PM »

I find the fact that you wear adult diapers and need a drool resistant keyboard amusing.

But at least I look good and seem smart while I soil the surrounding environment with my bodily fluids. How do YOU get away with it? 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »

I stopped reading the rest of the comments because I've just chalked it up to "agree to disagree" a few pages ago.  I think going the noose/hanging route was far away from a "joke" and has nothing to do with being PC.

Yeah, and just how has being apathetic and ignorant worked out regarding racism the last 4,000 years?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »

Yeah, and just how has being apathetic and ignorant worked out regarding racism the last 4,000 years?

Not quite sure where you are trying to take this.  I simply don't feel the need to express my opinion on this subject in the thread anymore.  It would just be beating a dead horse at this point.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »
As was mentioned, these many years later I can still recall the incident very clearly.

It's funny how some stuff sticks to you.  I remember something that happened to me when I was 24 years old, dang...over a decade ago... :(.....  I went to an audio/video store to buy a VCR for my parents.  A friend of mine worked for them and he told me about this Christian dude who could NOT lie about anything, so customers would sometimes ask him "Is this the best price you can give me" and that would put him in an akward position and he would have to answer truthfully.  So I was talking to this sales guy at a different store from the same chain working a deal and I got what I wanted.  I started to tell him the story about the Christian dude and I said something like "I sometimes worry that I'm being ripped off or lied to by salses people...." at that point the guy got upset, said something like "I don't lie nor have I done anything to make you think I'm dishonest" and then he stormed off and walked out of the store.  I felt really really bad about that cause the end to my sentence was going to be "BUT I don't feel that way when I come to these stores".  I wasnt' going to insult him, in fact I was going to say how good I felt about dealing with this store and him but I never got my point across and for some odd reason I still remember that incident like it happend last week.  Weird cause I've been an a-hole a million times and felt no guilt.  Wierd....
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »

But at least I look good and seem smart while I soil the surrounding environment with my bodily fluids. How do YOU get away with it? 

When I get caught I totally play the "race card".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2008, 01:26:29 PM »

Not quite sure where you are trying to take this.  I simply don't feel the need to express my opinion on this subject in the thread anymore.  It would just be beating a dead horse at this point.

I ran his comment through my Repulican translator: "You are either with us or against us"

Yoda translator: "There is do and do not, there is no try".
Mr Miagi translator: "Right side of road ok.  Left side of road ok.  Middle of road SQUISH like a grape."
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
Dang....you tore my heart out with that comment.  I really thought you would step up to my "friend" plate on that one. :(  You really are NOT much of a Mormon.....   :P

You're just figuring this out?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2008, 01:58:53 PM »
For an update on the resolution of the incident, another article is now on ziggy's link.

The coach publically apologized and resigned his coaching position, but continues as a teacher at the school.

http://www.ktvz.com/global/story.asp?s=9192687

Madras coach resigns, apologizes for comment

Posted: Oct 16, 2008 06:13 PM PDT 
By Nina Mehlhaf, KTVZ.COM

The head football coach at Madras High School has apologized for an insensitive comment made to a player and resigned all coaching duties, Jefferson County School Superintendent Rick Molitor announced Monday.

Hiatt will continue to teach PE, but in a written statement, Molitor said "all steps have been taken to assure this will not occur again."

The superintendent said he, too, has apologized, "because everything said and done in our schools is a reflection of the culture in our district."

Following is the full text of a statement issued by Molitor to district parents, students and citizens:

Monday, October 20, 2008

To the parents, students, and citizens of Jefferson County School District 509-J:

I believe the health of a community is directly related to the issues it chooses to focus on.  We have recently had to deal with some issues that have a negative impact on our schools and community.  We must give attention to these issues, deal with them in the most effective and efficient manner as possible, and bring closure.   This will allow us to refocus our attention on the great things we do each and every day for the students in our community.    I ask you, the community, to understand and trust your school district is constantly striving to create the best environment for all students.  I hope this message helps us move forward together and continue a great school year.

Late last week, PE teacher and Coach Dan Hiatt made a comment to a student during an athletic practice - a comment that he deeply regrets and has apologized for.  As your superintendent, I have also apologized because everything said and done in our schools is a reflection of the culture in our district.

It is important to understand that we must follow our policies and procedures regarding staff discipline. Our procedures are based on local board policies, plus state and federal laws that protect our constitutional rights as citizens. Consequently, these laws require confidentiality when handling personnel matters such as discipline.

As a result of our investigation Mr. Hiatt has agreed to resign from all coaching assignments. While Mr. Hiatt will continue in his teaching position, all policies and procedures in this matter were followed and steps have been taken to assure this will not occur again.   Mr. Hiatt returned to his teaching position as of Monday, October 20, 2008.

As your superintendent, I have chosen to view this experience as a lesson and I invite you to do the same. Our growth and forgiveness as adults sets a good example for our students - and it allows us to move forward and focus on the positive.