Author Topic: Where will Al Iverson end up midseason. Spurs?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Where will Al Iverson end up midseason. Spurs?
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:02:14 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Denver: Allen Iverson ?The Answer? For Detroit And San Antonio?
Oly Sandor
Hoopsvibe.com

There is no chance Allen Iverson stays in Denver. If the Nuggets struggle, he gets traded for prospects/cap relief. If the Nuggets are competitive, he still could get traded because his contract expires in July. If the Nuggets keep him for the year, he leaves as an unrestricted free agent come summer.

One thing is certain: ownership won?t extend Iverson. The club is losing money and George?s Karl?s offensive experiment has failed, which means a rebuilding project is approaching. Expensive veterans, even talented ones, won?t work long-term.

The superstar understands the situation. The winds of change are about to blow in Colorado. His bags are likely packed; the realtor?s ?For Sale sign is ready.

Any mid-season trade is temporary. Iverson, as an unrestricted free agent in July of 2009, can pick between suitors. Will he sign with a mediocre team for big money and first-option status? Or will he sign with a contender for less money and less shots?

Hopefully, Iverson chooses the latter. The tiny guard should offer to be the top reserve on an established squad. The critics, the ones who claimed he wouldn?t sacrifice or play within a team concept, would be silenced.

Detroit and San Antonio would be perfect for a slightly toned down version of ?The Answer?. Both should look at signing him next summer.

The Pistons have gambled on temperamental stars before. In February 2004, they took a risk acquiring Rasheed Wallace and a few months later were rewarded with an NBA Title. ?Sheed? was the missing ingredient and the post?s behaviour has improved in Detroit.

Joe Dumars must consider the All-Star scorer. This summer, the Pistons? head suit talked publicly about changing his club and Iverson would provide a Wallace-like jolt. The problem is Rodney Stuckey. A superstar sixth-man would hinder the prospect?s development. Stuckey, like all budding youngsters, needs minutes.

Go big or go home. That?s the Texas way. The Spurs should follow the state mantra and upgrade their core with the Georgetown alum. Iverson would make a great second-unit game-changer; his presence would push Manu Ginobili into the starting five.

San Antonio needs the tweak. The west has gotten better. Houston traded for Ron Artest, New Orleans signed James Posey, and the Los Angeles Lakers are expecting the Andrew Bynum-Pau Gasol combo to deliver. The black-and-silver could counter these moves by going fast in the backcourt with Iverson and Tony Parker (talk about a deadly combo off the dribble).

Gregg Popovich, Tim Duncan, and the Spurs would mesh with Iverson. The franchise?s four championships demand respect, while A.I. has been a model citizen with the Nuggets. Finally, ?Pop? is close with Iverson?s former coach Larry Brown, so he would do his research before making any commitment.

Like it or not, Iverson?s run in Denver is winding down. What happens next impacts his legacy. Hopefully, he joins a contender and we can again watch him in June.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where will Al Iverson end up midseason. Spurs?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:16:05 PM »
To be honest if the team falters then the person who should be fired is George Karl.  The *TEAM* defense is something that Karl and his staff have not really addressed until this past off-season.  If the changes don't work why would it be AI's fault?

Now I understand he makes good money and he's older but throwing him under the bus while trading him is messed up IMO.  Honestly I say you trade Melo, get a better piece to build around, and then let AI trail off.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:33:01 AM »
The Nuggets are in rebuild mode already and Iverson has an expiring deal, and I doubt highly that the Spurs would want Iverson cause I'm almost sure he won't fit in their system...Carmelo Anthony is pretty overrated as well in my opinion

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:28:12 AM »
AI, won't come here.  If it was between Sa and Detroit, I would have to say he would pick Detroit.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »
The Nuggets are in rebuild mode already and Iverson has an expiring deal, and I doubt highly that the Spurs would want Iverson cause I'm almost sure he won't fit in their system...Carmelo Anthony is pretty overrated as well in my opinion

Also consider that Tony Parker has hinted to the fact this might be the last year for the Spurs core.  I don't see why, if they were getting ready to rebuild their core, they would go after an older PG who has never been apart of a successful core of players in this league.

I say deal Melo to a team dumb enough to give you some legit players for him....

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »

Also consider that Tony Parker has hinted to the fact this might be the last year for the Spurs core.  I don't see why, if they were getting ready to rebuild their core, they would go after an older PG who has never been apart of a successful core of players in this league.

I say deal Melo to a team dumb enough to give you some legit players for him....

Despite what people here say, I think Tony will end up in LA.  However the Spurs will do everything they can to build around Tony if they can keep him.  Tim has some years left, and manu's ankle might damage his game.  If Manu does not do well this year, I could see HIM being trade bait, I think the Spurs would do everything they could to keep Parker as the future for our team...  At which point I think Tony will flick us off and say, "forget that I want to be in Hollywood with my wife and the Beckhams"....just my humble opinion.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 07:28:53 PM »
Do the lakers have the money to take on parker.

The sixers need a point guard to replace miller

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »
Do the lakers have the money to take on parker.

The sixers need a point guard to replace miller

who knows...maybe the clippers will pay him.  I just don't think Tony will stick around.  Did you see he made a dosumentary about himself...

http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/newsmanager/anmviewer.asp?a=5020&z=1

he was drafted into the French army.... "Here is your cheese and here is your white flag, take care of them boy because one day they will save your life!"  lol
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:46:18 PM by SPURSX3 »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 04:25:42 PM »

Al would be a half season rental in pursuit of a championship so no need to alter any rebuilding plans.  Unless A.I. will only go to a team that extends him like most of the selfish pampereds who are *all about winning a championship*.  We shall see if AI joins the list of RealChamps or not.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
We shall see if AI joins the list of RealChamps or not.

Doubt the Lakers are even even looking at him.  RealRepeatChamps are probably more interested in SF's.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 04:32:36 PM »
Still back in 2001  :D :D

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 04:37:50 PM »
Still back in 2001  :D :D

Who did the Spurs LOSE to in the playoffs in 2008?   :D :D :D :D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 04:52:34 PM »
"anything short of a championship is a failure to us."  -WoW, msc, LFD, Randolph, westkoast, Laker Posters et all.

owned.  ;)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »
"anything short of a championship is a failure to us."  -WoW, msc, LFD, Randolph, westkoast, Laker Posters et all.

owned.  ;)

That still doesn't change the fact the Lakers beat the Spurs.  Good try though.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »
mines bigger then yours.