Author Topic: Greg Oden's debut  (Read 2954 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greg Oden's debut
« on: October 08, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
Well first off Sacto didn't have Kevin Martin, Brad Miller, or Quincy Douby, and it was the first pre-season game of the season, but holy crap we looked really good.  Won by 29, and were up by 34-38 most of the 4th qtr.  The Sacto play-by-play crew was amazed at the atmosphere.  Said it sounded like a regular season game between top teams.

Overall thoughts
Greg Oden  -  He is a very big guy.  Right now I would say he is very similar to a young Shaq.  He didn't make a shot beyond a dunk, missed every shot from 3' to 8'.  He was 3-5 from the FT, and had nice form.  He is big, and strong, and still heavy, they say he is 285, and I think it would do him a lot of good to lose 15 pounds.  Did I say he was big?  His defense was a mixed bag.  He did well a few times, wasn't a dominating rebounder, but he is hard to establish good low post position against, had a couple of nice blocks, and played matador defense on a couple of drives.

Rudy Fernandez  -  He didn't shoot all that well, but he slashed to the basket well, nice alley-oop dunk, and out of his a$$ alley-oop up and under off the glass, 5 assists (one through the defenders legs to Aldridge for a dunk, a couple of very nice feeds to Martell Webster).  Moves very well without the ball, good passer, good slasher, definitely a fan favorite.

Jerrod Bayless  -  He did fine, don't remember that much of him defensively.  He did fine the couple of times I really paid attention.  Fearless at going to the rim, needs to slow down and get a better routine at the line. 

Nicolas Batum -  I really liked what I saw in 12 limited minutes.  All over the court, finished on a dunk, had 1 steal and created another he didn't get credit for.  He is only 19, but he can play.  I think we will spend some time in the NBDL, but I don't believe we can keep both Webster and Outlaw, and he will be the eventual replacement for the one we lose.

Brandon Roy  -  Had knee surgery in August, and you wouldn't have known the difference.  He looked to be in mid-season form.  He played 22 minutes had 14 points, 2 rebounds, and 7 assists.  After the game I thought he didn't do much, but he was quietly very productive.

Martell Webster  -  He went for 15 p and 6 r, with 2 s, but a lot of that came in garbage time in the late 3rd and early 4th.  He was very active on the defensive end, and finished strong.

Aldridge -  Didn't shoot all that well, and with all the new guys I didn't pay that much attention to him.

Przybilla - 7 p, 12 r, 1 bs is 21 minutes.  He is the perfect big guy for our second unit, and perfect backup to Oden.  A highly under-appreciated NBA big guy.  He and Rudy will work very well together in the pick and roll, and I think we will be more effective offensively as a result.

Sergio Rodriguez  -  Blake was hurt and he started, and played very well.  11 p, 7 a, 3 r, 3 3's, 2 to, 1 s.  Played in control, shot the ball well.

As far as the Kings, Hawes did Ok, but he needs to get more aggressive around the hoop, and lay off the 3 pointers.  Donte Greene looked very good, he will be a sleeper.  The Kings lost a lot of ground with Sheldon Williams on the floor, and he didn't shoot all that well, but he was a banger.  The Kings need a player like him, and he will help them I think.  I also like some of what I saw with Jason Thompson.  His final numbers weren't all that hot, but only Garcia played well, but he has a solid NBA future.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

Re: Greg Oden's debut
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »
This was the first NBA story on Sports Center last night - it seemed from the highlights that Spencer Hawes was pushed around by Greg Oden in a way that would indicate SPencer Hawes is as tough as a marshmallow

But that might just have been how the highlights were edited.

The death of Free SHow shooting in the NBA in general is kind of sad

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:20:47 PM »
Overall thoughts
Greg Oden  -  He is a very big guy.  Right now I would say he is very similar to a young Shaq.  He didn't make a shot beyond a dunk, missed every shot from 3' to 8'.  He was 3-5 from the FT, and had nice form.  He is big, and strong, and still heavy, they say he is 285, and I think it would do him a lot of good to lose 15 pounds.  Did I say he was big?  His defense was a mixed bag.  He did well a few times, wasn't a dominating rebounder, but he is hard to establish good low post position against, had a couple of nice blocks, and played matador defense on a couple of drives.

Similar to Shaq?  Maybe HS Senior Shaq.  From what little I've seen of Oden, his body type reminds me more of DRob.  Athletic, lean and powerful.  Shaq is one of a kind, not even Wilt had the physical presence that Shaq had from day one in the league.  Wilt, DRob, and Oden are more similiar with each other than Shaq.  Wilt, DRob, and Oden have a prize fighter physique while Shaq HAD a wrestler type.  IMO Oden has the coordination of a DRob/TD, again in that area Shaq was one of a kind.  The 5 spot is the be all end all position in basketball for me, I can't wait to see Oden get it going in the NBA.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 09:47:05 AM »
Overall thoughts

Similar to Shaq?  Maybe HS Senior Shaq.  From what little I've seen of Oden, his body type reminds me more of DRob.  Athletic, lean and powerful.  Shaq is one of a kind, not even Wilt had the physical presence that Shaq had from day one in the league.  Wilt, DRob, and Oden are more similiar with each other than Shaq.  Wilt, DRob, and Oden have a prize fighter physique while Shaq HAD a wrestler type.  IMO Oden has the coordination of a DRob/TD, again in that area Shaq was one of a kind.  The 5 spot is the be all end all position in basketball for me, I can't wait to see Oden get it going in the NBA.

WOW I hear what you are saying and that is what I expected as well, but right now today he is not David Robinson.  I looked at databasebasketball.com and they had DRob at 7-1 235.  Oden is 7-1 285.  Shaq since 2002/3 has been over 300 lbs, but in his early years I am thinking he was in the 280-285 range.  Oden is not in mid-season game shape yet, but his game is all about power right now, no finesse at all.  Good FT shooter for a big guy, but I am not exaggerating when I say he missed virtually every shot that wasn't a dunk.  I saw some workout video and it was the same thing.  His footwork right now is poor, but he is pretty agile for someone that big, and he is passing the ball very well.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:15:56 PM »
Naturally I missed the first half, when the Kings apparently looked pretty good running their new motion offense, and only got to see them blow up in the second half when they could not score at all.

But some things are looking like they are forming up for the team. For one, Spencer Hawes is getting reamed out by just about everyone in the Kings' organization. Clearly not at the same level as Greg Oden, the twenty year old looks young, inexperienced, and very weak. The term "project" does not come close to indicating how far he has to go to be in Vlade Divac's neighborhood, to whom he is most often compared. Beno Udrih is completely fed up in trying to figure out what kind of player he wants to be - a perimeter shooter or driving the lane or some kind of combo or whatever - and Beno needs to know what Hawes plans to do instead of whatever it is he has been doing. And his decision not to run the suicides with the rest of the team (he has since run them and passed) apparently was so poorly received by Geoff Petrie on down that the kid is virtually a leper in the locker room. Hardly what you want to see from a second year player.

Garcia looks like a good investment by the team in receiving a contract extension. This is the year he really needs to prove he is as good as perceived.

Donte Greene has the combo game you want to see in small forwards. Watching him just makes you wish you can jump ahead five years to see what he will be like then. Jerry West really, really likes his potential and mentioned him in an interview this week. Plus, at 6'11", he can add some bulk and still be tall by then.

Bobby Brown looked a bit overwhelmed, but it being his very first experience in any sort of "real" NBA game, he at least got those jitters out of the way. He likely will start against Oklahoma City tonight. He is very highly touted and the long-term goal is to make him a regular part of the rotation. He is what his teammates are calling a "true" point guard. He has that mindset.

Jason Thompson and Sheldon Williams need to learn what they need to do faster. Thompson is extremely coachable and a hard worker. Plus, and this just blows me away regarding NBA players who actually get a free education while playing college ball, (I hope you all are sitting down for this!!!) he GOT his college degree at Rider!!!! Let me say that again, he came into the NBA straight out of college WITH HIS DEGREE!!!! When I first heard that, I just thought he was, you know, just planning to go back some day and finish; what a lot of players claim they will do but most never bother  to do.

Talk about getting abused by his teammates in the locker room! They must get on him all the time for THAT silliness. I mean, how can he relate?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »
I read some snippets about Hawes refusing to take some sort of physical exam/test that everyone else was taking, does he have a knee injury?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »
I read some snippets about Hawes refusing to take some sort of physical exam/test that everyone else was taking, does he have a knee injury?

Yes, he does - several, actually.

And that was his reason for not wanting to take the test because his latest knee injury was caused by this physical exam last year in training camp. But he was cleared to do all aspects of training this year, and frankly, if he can not do suicides, which essentially is just running from one end of the court to the other ten times, it would be sort of hard to play an NBA basketball game.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
WOW I hear what you are saying and that is what I expected as well, but right now today he is not David Robinson.  I looked at databasebasketball.com and they had DRob at 7-1 235.  Oden is 7-1 285.  Shaq since 2002/3 has been over 300 lbs, but in his early years I am thinking he was in the 280-285 range.  Oden is not in mid-season game shape yet, but his game is all about power right now, no finesse at all.  Good FT shooter for a big guy, but I am not exaggerating when I say he missed virtually every shot that wasn't a dunk.  I saw some workout video and it was the same thing.  His footwork right now is poor, but he is pretty agile for someone that big, and he is passing the ball very well.

Actually, Shaq was 300+ from day one.  There were concerns that at 300 lbs Shaq was out of shape and too heavy for the long NBA season, but then he stepped onto the court and it was hard to find an ounce of fat on the guy.  Everyone figured the 15 pounds he gained were all fat but that was not the case.  I don't know how much of that 285 on Oden is fat but from what I've seen, he's not Shaq.  I have yet to see a center that reminded me of rookie Shaq, even after seeing all the old videos of Wilt and Co. 
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:36:47 PM »
Naturally I missed the first half, when the Kings apparently looked pretty good running their new motion offense, and only got to see them blow up in the second half when they could not score at all.

Beno Udrih is completely.....
Breaking the Kobsters ankles on this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWoXDWhmk6A&eurl
http://i38.tinypic.com/11jrmed.jpg

Apparantly Kobes was screaming at the refs afterwords, looking for a bailout.  ;)  :D :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 04:03:02 PM »

Beno Udrih is completely.....
Breaking the Kobsters ankles on this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWoXDWhmk6A&eurl
http://i38.tinypic.com/11jrmed.jpg

Apparantly Kobes was screaming at the refs afterwords, looking for a bailout.  ;)  :D :D

Oh great now we get to hear you over hype him over nothing.  He faked out Kobe on a play that must negate everything that JoMaL has said about Udrih in the Kings system.

What's funny is when Kobe broke Manu's ankles you ignored it.  Yet it was a much better move then that one.  He didn't have to use his off arm to push an off balanced Manu to get around him  ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:14:48 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 04:10:32 PM »
What's funny is when Kobe broke Manu's ankles you ignored it.  Yet it was a much better move then that one.

Poor Manu has yet to recover.  :D

Greg Oden seems to be getting bigger by the day on TV.  It will be fun watching him go up against Bynum, Chandler, Perkins, and Howard.  I also wonder what he will do against the old guard in Shaq, Yao, and Dampier.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »
What's funny is when Kobe broke Manu's ankles you ignored it.  Yet it was a much better move then that one.

Poor Manu has yet to recover.  :D

Greg Oden seems to be getting bigger by the day on TV.  It will be fun watching him go up against Bynum, Chandler, Perkins, and Howard.  I also wonder what he will do against the old guard in Shaq, Yao, and Dampier.

LOL...Yao is part of the old guard now huh?  At first I laughed when I read it then I was thinking "WOW is right"  he's on the bottom half of his career and his skills are only going to diminish, not get better, at this point.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com