Author Topic: OT - Is there anything worth a darn in Philly?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT - Is there anything worth a darn in Philly?
« on: October 07, 2008, 04:12:10 PM »
I will be traveling to Philly next month and I am scheduled to fly back on Friday morning.  It's paid for by my co but I'm wondering if I should take a late flight or put up my own money for an extra night or two at a hotel and see some sights in Philly.  Would I need a rental car as well or is everything in Philly by cab like NYC?  Also, is it worth it to spend ONE extra minute in Philly when I have the beutiful SoCal waiting with open arms?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

Re: OT - Is there anything worth a darn in Philly?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »
Depends on your interest - if you have any historical interests - philly is well known for a bunch of things (though the liberty belle is a big let down)...

You could run up the rocky steps (or walk) and go to one of the best museums in america.

If you like em and they're playing there's a damn good symphony

Depends on your interests - if you're a hippie you have to go to south street - cause that's where all the hippies meet

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »
WOW you can get your childhood back by going to Sesame Place...you will need a rental to get out there from Philly though.  Or Hersey Park.

Do not go see the liberty bell, it's such a waste of time.  Instead go buy a bell at some local spot (Like that Next Tuesday place) and then crack it yourself.  Same deal.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »
Hershey Park isn't 'close' to Philadelphia any more than San Francisco is 'close' to Los Angeles - ok, it's not that far, but it's a hike, and not worth it (especially if the weather is cold)

Franklin Institute is a lot of fun if you like stuff like that, again it depends on what your interests when you see a new city are...me i just like to go into the 'local' stores of different unique varieties

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 04:53:52 PM »
Hershey Park isn't 'close' to Philadelphia any more than San Francisco is 'close' to Los Angeles - ok, it's not that far, but it's a hike, and not worth it (especially if the weather is cold)

Franklin Institute is a lot of fun if you like stuff like that, again it depends on what your interests when you see a new city are...me i just like to go into the 'local' stores of different unique varieties

It's been a while since I was out there but I don't remember it being 7 hours from Philly....aside from that I was joking about both spots.  Those are places for children to go.  Not a grown man on a business trip.

I do suggest getting a HOAGIE though WOW.  The bread out there is something else.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »
Like I said, not that far, but it's a good drive, it's farther than LA to Santa Barbara, and there's nothing of note between Santa Barbara and San Francisco...it's probably a 3-4 hour drive to hershey park

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
You could drive over to Gettysburg. That is "only" a 2 and a half hour drive from Philly and it is a much, much more of an adult place by far.

Most impressive battlefield of the Civil War, plus Gettysburg itself has some cool pubs.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »
There's a lot of great museums if that's your thing.  Everything from art museums to franklin institute to penn's archeology museum, there's different kinds for everyone.  And some of the stuff down by independence hall (agreed the liberty bell is overrated, but there's so much more down there) you really should check out.

Gettysburg is really cool too, like JoMal said, but that's a little bit of a hike.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »
Keep in mind that Gettysburg is haunted.

You could drive out to Lower Merion High School and see where Kobe Bryant spent his pre NBA post Italy years too...and then tell everyone all about it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 07:30:31 PM »
You could drive out to Lower Merion High School and see where Kobe Bryant spent his pre NBA post Italy years too...and then tell everyone all about it.

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That comes pretty close to my Kobe dream vacation to Colorado.

I'm not much of a museum guy, arguably the greatest museum on earth, let alone the USA, is right here in LA and I've only been there once.

I've already been told we are going to a cheese steak place that will yell at you and kick you out if you don't get your order right the first time.  It's right across the street from some other famous, or infamous, eating place in Philly.  I'm going with a sales guy so I guess he knows the turf.  I'm not much of a US history buff since it's mostly about the "great" accomplishments of white men.  I love history in regards to war stuff but not much of a "HIS STORY" buff. 

I guess I'm more into quirky stuff that you could not access in the internet or TV.  Food is a good example but so is "people" stuff.  When I was in the UK I did not go see big ben or the guard dudes, instead I made a few trips to a place where people just stood around and "soap boxed".  Everything from poetry to politics, it was very interesting.

Gettysburg might be a good idea, tons of white dudes got killed there.   ;)

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »
I'm not much of a museum guy, arguably the greatest museum on earth, let alone the USA, is right here in LA and I've only been there once.

Even if you're referring to the Getty, no, the greatest museum on earth is not in the United States.

Seriously - don't go to pats or genos - go to a real cheesesteak stuff

If you like 'non mainstream' stuff - check out the franklin institute if it's still there - and the poorly named please touch museum...don't know about much people stuff - but I know when I was in school, there were ALWAYS some crazy preachers in Wis-con-SIN (as they pronounced it) telling us how we was all going to hell

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 08:15:53 PM »

Even if you're referring to the Getty, no, the greatest museum on earth is not in the United States.

Seriously - don't go to pats or genos - go to a real cheesesteak stuff

If you like 'non mainstream' stuff - check out the franklin institute if it's still there - and the poorly named please touch museum...don't know about much people stuff - but I know when I was in school, there were ALWAYS some crazy preachers in Wis-con-SIN (as they pronounced it) telling us how we was all going to hell

The place in the UK was not about preaching, they were just talking/shouting about whatever was on their mind.

Ok Philly dudes, name some names!  Rat out the best cheese steak places in Philly.  My hotel is probably going to be near the airport.  Like I said, I might stay an exta night or two on my dime I something "wow's" me about Philly, if I do I'm free to break from the herd I'm traveling with.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »
That comes pretty close to my Kobe dream vacation to Colorado.

Oh yeah WoW?! Well I've been to Colorado, and I sat in the chair . . . that's right . . . you know which chair I'm talking about.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »
It's paid for by my co

Just so I am clear this is being paid for by you Corrections Officer?  Commanding Officer?  Is co code for Sugar Daddy?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil