Poll

Who should get the executive of the year>

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Exec of the year  (Read 3182 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exec of the year
« on: April 12, 2004, 04:20:50 PM »
Jerry West  -  For hiring Hubie Brown and helping turn Memphis into a playoff team.  Only rule with West is that all of you who said that Hubie shouldn't get coach of the year because of all the talent he had, can't give West Exec of the Year, when the only talent he added this year was Bonzi Wells.

Kupchack for getting the big 4 in LA

Petrie for signing Miller, and getting rid of Pollard and Turkoglu

McHale for the Cassell and Sprewell deals

Kiki for turning a mordibund team into a playoff contender

Nash for moving Wallace and Wells, and getting good talent and good citizens in return

Dumars for the Wallace trade

Bird for hiring Carlisle and firing Isiah Thomas

Thomas for the Marbury, Tim Thomas, and Nazr Mohammed deals.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exec of the year
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 04:21:30 PM »
I voted for Hubie, and I voted for West.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exec of the year
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 04:42:10 PM »
I vote for Kevin O'Connor of the Jazz for two reasons.

1. I'm a homer.

2. He found diamonds in the rough who all fit as a part of a larger whole. No stars, just team players who fulfill the role they need to fill.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Exec of the year
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 05:14:30 PM »
Kiki followed by McHale and Petrie.

The Nuggets have progressed rapidly from a sad sack team to a playoff contender and it was due to drafting Melo and signing some key talent.

McHale brought in the supporting cast to help Garnett without losing much as a result, and look at the impressive results so far.

Petrie created the core talent of the Kings long before this year, though Sacramento was considered a second level playoff team before the season began because of the roster changeovers. But the Miller trade not only brought in a terrific potential replacement for Vlade, it kept Brad away from other contenders who really, really wanted him. Then he stole Songaila away from Boston. That looked like a minor move originally, but Darius looks to be a legitiment NBA backup power forward who can give you a double-double if he started. Darius who? Petrie knew. But not a move that gets you #1 GM of the year, though with the Miller trade, he is again top three.  

West's best move was bringing in Brown to coach essentially the same talent that only won 28 games last year. Great move, but GM's should be noted for impacting the talent on the team directly, not hiring the coach, or Kupchak should get all the credit in Los Angeles.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Exec of the year
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 10:10:16 PM »
West all the way.

JoMaL West did make moves for players he thought would fit well once they got to play together.  In a years time together they went from not a chance to a 5th seed.  He moved players around and brought in the right coach.  Exactly what good exec's do.  He put the pieces together and got them to work well as a whole.....from the coach to the talent down on the court.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 10:13:51 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Exec of the year
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 10:44:51 PM »
I took Kiki, turned NOTHING into SOMETHING.

While Jerry West is a God, he turned something into something good.

Kiki had nothing to work with and ended putting together some decent young talent with some nice cap room to boot.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

Exec of the year
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 12:16:41 AM »

Kiki had nothing to work with and ended putting together some decent young talent with some nice cap room to boot.
Kiki has done a good job but remember, he's still the same GM that he has been in the past -- and he has failed a lot more than he has succeeded -- which tells me that the success that Denver is experiencing ISN'T Kiki -- it's coach and the TEAM concept.

Jerry West, on the other hand, has done a great job of piecing things together and not too many people thought that Hubie Brown was a good choice.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Exec of the year
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 09:07:42 AM »

Kiki has done a good job but remember, he's still the same GM that he has been in the past -- and he has failed a lot more than he has succeeded -- which tells me that the success that Denver is experiencing ISN'T Kiki -- it's coach and the TEAM concept.

Jerry West, on the other hand, has done a great job of piecing things together and not too many people thought that Hubie Brown was a good choice.
Kiki has been the GM in Denver...oh about as long as West has been GM in Memphis.  West gets credit for turning around Memphis...more to do with attitude & coaching than player moves IMO...but Kiki is still the same old GM?  

Kiki inherited a mess from Issel in Denver.  He made major moves last year to free up cap space.  He wisely used the cap space & draft picks (not just Anthony but Nene too) to build a young team.  I would say Kiki had a bigger role in getting Denver to the playoffs than West had in Memphis.

:ph34r:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 09:08:27 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

Exec of the year
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 09:59:39 AM »

Kiki has been the GM in Denver...oh about as long as West has been GM in Memphis.  West gets credit for turning around Memphis...more to do with attitude & coaching than player moves IMO...but Kiki is still the same old GM?  

Kiki inherited a mess from Issel in Denver.  He made major moves last year to free up cap space.  He wisely used the cap space & draft picks (not just Anthony but Nene too) to build a young team.  I would say Kiki had a bigger role in getting Denver to the playoffs than West had in Memphis.

:ph34r:
 :lol:  - hey, let's find something we agree on!  On second thought, forget it!

I don't think getting Anthony needs to be considered a great choice by Kiki -- most 3rd graders could have made that choice, couldn't they (okay, at least 3rd graders in MOST states).  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Exec of the year
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 11:41:45 AM »
Westkoast, the key cogs of the Memphis team were in place already before this year. The players he brought in, while helping, were not nearly as important as the new coach and philosophy that brought in, and the general experience of playing together as a team has brought.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Exec of the year
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »
I chose kiki as well.  Took some guts to unload their core (McDyess, Van Exel and LaFrentz) for cap space.  Then took just as much guts to resist the urge to not waste that capspace they tried so hard to get on mediocre talent (RE: Bulls signing Eddie Robinson).

Put himself in the position to have a building block superstar, a playoff team AND caproom in the upcoming free agency period.  Good job.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Exec of the year
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 01:02:12 PM »
my close second goes to mchale tho.  he found PERFECT compliments to garnett and got them for next to nothing.  Not to mention, these were players whom were basically scorned by their prior employers and much of the country.

Guest_spursfan101

Exec of the year
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »
Kiki, although West deserves some credit. Definately Kike though.

jn

Exec of the year
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 04:44:04 PM »
I'll go with Kiki.  I think the standards are a little different for he and West vs McHale and Dumars.  West took a team with some raw talent, tweaked it and found a good coach to get them in to the playoffs.  Kiki did an expanded version of that. He took a team with almost no talent, drastically changed it, found a good coach and got them into the playoffs.

The real test for McHale and Dumars will be the playoffs.  They are trying to make good teams into champions.

Exec of the year
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 06:30:49 PM »
Westkoast, the key cogs of the Memphis team were in place already before this year. The players he brought in, while helping, were not nearly as important as the new coach and philosophy that brought in, and the general experience of playing together as a team has brought.
JoMaL....I know with all the special herbal medicine you take from Humboldt has slowed you down a bit but who do you think made those trades last year?