Author Topic: Training Camps are open. What's exciting about your team?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Training Camps are open. What's exciting about your team?
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:00:24 PM »
Time to start thinking about basketball again, as the beginning of the season nears.  The Sixers made a lot of changes over the summer, but I didn't hear too much about anyone else doing anything substantial.

Who's happy about where their teams are?  Are they doing anything new with their line-ups?

Who is looking forward to their teams season and playoff chances? Who isn't?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Training Camps are open. What's exciting about your team?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:17 PM »
It will be nice to see all the fresh new scrubby faces that sit on the pine for the season... ::)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:08:24 PM »
Three things I am interested to see...

How the team looks with Bynum back in the loop.  I am excited and interested to see how the Lakers coaching staff is going to use Gasol and Bynum.  I would expect to see a few different line ups that include just Bynum, just Gasol, and one with both.

If Odom improved his jumper  in the off-season.  Kobe will not be playing in the pre-season so it will be interesting to see him play that facilitator role.  Phil has hinted it's not fair to ask Kobe to go through all of training camp so I'd assume he'll sit.

Body language of the team coming off a pretty heart breaking loss in the finals is also something that I will be paying close attention to.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »
What am I excited about?
Greg Oden in the middle
LaMarcus Aldridge playing with Greg Oden in the middle
Brandon Roy improving some more
Martell Webster taking the next step in what should be he is senior year in college
A starting 5 of Blake, Roy, Webster, Aldridge, and Oden

Rudy Fernandez as the 6th man
Jerrod Bayless developing into our future PG
Travis Outlaw, Bayless, Fernandez, Frye, and Przybilla as a second unit

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »
Well Baron Davis to the Clippers might be significant.
There's Jermaine O'neal to the raptors
the changes the cavs made (for some reason the experts think mo evans is that missing piece)
Wade is 100% healthy and supposedly was pretty impressive in the olympics (didn't watch)
Bynum back, lakers healthy, but lamar odom doesn't want to come off the bench
Knicks still suck
Brown will sink in Charlotte (and that will be excellent to watch)
Ben Gordon has a chip on his shoulder...and Derrick Rose and Kirk Hinrich might play in the back court together.
Marcus Williams gets a shot to prove he can play in the NBA since Monta Ellis is an idiot
Rick Carlisle will show those players who said trade me or fire avery what they miss

I'm excited about the NBA season period unless the phillies somehow beat the dodgers in the NLCS and then take out the angels in the world series...

Oh yeah, I take extra pleasure in watching New York sports franchises stink up the place, so as long as Marbury is still on the Knicks that ought to be fun.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:16:13 PM by jemagee »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 12:21:26 AM »
In the offseason my favorite team added a legit 7 footer who may average a double double in rebounds and points.  He has shown to be a good interior defender and high percentage scorer.  Plus he has the size to not get pushed around by mediocre and over weight 6'11 guys from the EC.

They have also added an athletic 6'8 swing man who's primary focus is defense.  His primary focus will be the elite SF's in the league.  He can fill the lane on the break and finish above the rim, he's also been working on his spot up 3 point shooting.

So my favorite team has addressed their biggest weaknesses this offseason and I can't wait for them to tear the WC a new one!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 01:51:55 AM »
Here is some art from a Portland area guy envisioning 2008-9:

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 02:35:08 PM »
It will be nice to see all the fresh new scrubby faces that sit on the pine for the season... ::)
You wanna talk some excitement 2008-9 Gregor Pop Spurs style?

SAN ANTONIO ? The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have signed forward Charles Gaines. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
The 6-9, 223-lb Gaines has spent the previous four seasons playing in Europe. Last season he played with Galatasaray Cafecrown in the Turkish TBL League. Gaines appeared in 28 games and averaged 12.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 1.86 steals in 25.5 minutes. He also saw action in 17 ULEB Cup games, averaging 12.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.12 steals in 27.3 minutes. Over his career, Gaines has made stops in Spain (DKV Jovent), France (Adecco ASVEL), Italy (Eurofiditalia Reggio Calabria) and the Continental Basketball Association (Michigan Mayhem).

At the same time the Spurs announced they have waived guard Brian Morrison.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »
What team is reality a fan of?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »
Timmy Dunks Manu SuperGnob Tony Parker-Longaria Brent Barrdogs Fabs Oberto*

They may well be ruined by now but I'm hoping they can overcome Popavich one last time.
I've about given up on any repeat chances but who knows what the future brings....

*Fabs was a major letdown last season.
** Barrdog now plays on the Rockets.  As does Luis Scola.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »
What team is reality a fan of?

Any team that is playing the Lakers that night.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »
You wanna talk some excitement 2008-9 Gregor Pop Spurs style?

SAN ANTONIO ? The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have signed forward Charles Gaines. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
The 6-9, 223-lb Gaines has spent the previous four seasons playing in Europe. Last season he played with Galatasaray Cafecrown in the Turkish TBL League. Gaines appeared in 28 games and averaged 12.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 1.86 steals in 25.5 minutes. He also saw action in 17 ULEB Cup games, averaging 12.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.12 steals in 27.3 minutes. Over his career, Gaines has made stops in Spain (DKV Jovent), France (Adecco ASVEL), Italy (Eurofiditalia Reggio Calabria) and the Continental Basketball Association (Michigan Mayhem).

At the same time the Spurs announced they have waived guard Brian Morrison.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The Spurs have the title locked up for the next decade!

For those who like their news without the Reality filter:

The Spurs waived one TC practice dummy for another one.  The difference is position.  The new dummy plays PF/C.  The old dummy was a wing player.  Two of the Spurs big men (Thomas & Mahinmi) have minor injuries (hammy/ankle) that will keep them sitting for the first few days of TC.  The Spurs needed someone for Duncan to run circles around.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »
Thanks FRAN*
Altho you missed the point you are agreeing with me.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:53:04 AM by Reality »

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 08:49:29 AM »
NY Post reporting that the Pacers found a taker for Tinsley in Denver

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 11:35:14 AM »
Kings camp -

Good news - the Kings are still an NBA franchise and have "players" and "fan" support, with "plans" for building a new arena.

Bad news - the rest of the NBA teams are still in the NBA, with better "players", not so gullible "fan" support, all with "plans" for building a new arena.

The Kings have one, true threat on the squad - Kevin Martin, who, if anything, will be even better this season if his off-season training session to improve his post game and overall strength pays off.   

Brad Miller is suspended for the first five games of the season, leaving the short-term center duties to second year player Spencer Hawes, who is coming off a scoping of his right knee, his fourth knee surgury since age fourteen. At least it was not on his "bad" knee this time. But I like Hawes' style, even though his politics runs straight Republican conservative. He plays like he has a chip on his shoulder and never hesitates to say what he feels, such as his initial camp refusal to take the mandatory suicide drill all players must pass every camp because he believes that was how he hurt his knee last year and had to miss six weeks for one of those knee scoping procedures he has had to endure. Then yesterday he took it and passed it first try, but is likely to still be fined by the team for not taking it earlier. Team unity thing. 

The Kings gave a nice multi-year contract extension to Francisco Garcia, who continues to defy all expectations of improvement but is still an intriquing piece of the team's rotation. He is very talented in many aspects of the game and could eventually be a better scoring version of Doug Christie if his solid defense ever becomes shut down defense.

The team also paid Beno Udrih a five year, 32 million dollar bonus (contract) for actually being able to PLAY point guard on a team that sort of lacked one for years, not naming names <Bibby> and brought back fan-favorite Bobby Jackson to play about fifteen minutes behind the injury-prone starter. There have been several knocks against Udrih about him not being a quality NBA point guard, but from what I have seen, he clearly is very good at BEING a point guard and sometimes that is what a team needs instead of the Mike Bibby type of guard that scores first and then thinks of dimes. He will do for now. The most intriquing guy at the point is rookie Bobby Brown, undrafted out of Cal State Fullerton. If you get the chance to see him, keep your eyes on him.

Besides Brown, the Kings have tons of rookies or otherwise young players to evaluate this year, which looks like a non-playoff season once again, if the NBA pundits have it right. First round (and surprise) #12 pick Jason Thompson out of Rider University can score from the PF position and can defend and rebound a bit. The problem is the Kings need him to defend and rebound a whole lot. His backup, (former #5 pick by Atlanta two years ago) out of Duke, Sheldon Williams, needs to convince the team to pick up his option for the year by October 31st - no pressure there, but he came into camp determined to earn the job - a very good sign. He lost weight and worked out all summer with one of the Kings' assistant coaches to improve his conditioning and scoring around the basket.

Quincy Douby is entering his third season. A 6'3" shooting guard whom the Kings would like to turn into a combo guard, which he never really tried to be before. He can score, though and his long arms make him a very good defender for a relatively short two guard. But is he a viable enough threat on the court? If he does not become a critical part of the rotation this season, the team needs to cut the ties and move on.

Mikki Moore, John Salmons, and Kenny Thomas all have contracts that need to be honored this season. So they will be playing much of the time, though the jury is still out on how much Thomas will be part of the rotation. The other two will play a lot. They both have some skills, but this is the NBA and neither is going to find their way on anyone's fantasy team soon. Salmons is okay, but just not a top SF, is all. You need players to compete in this League and he is a notch below what you would prefer.

And finally, our project player of tomorrow - Donte Greene. Most experts think he came out a year too soon after only one season at Syracuse. Drafted 28th this spring by Memphis, traded to Houston and then to the Kings as part of the Ron Artest trade, he is raw. But the team envisions him being the small forward of the future. At 6'11" and 226 pounds, visions of Kevin Garnett bounce off the retinas of my rose-colored eyeballs. So why would two teams trade such potential the same off-season while drafting him in the first round to begin with? Apparently that raw talent is real. On offense. Unstoppable is the usual verbige mentioned about his scoring. It also is the usual verbige mentioned about whomever he plays against on defense. You see, he never has been taught anything about how to play defense on the basketball court. Nothing - Nada - zilch. Nary a word. In today's NBA, this constitutes a problem if you, you know, actually want to play basketball ever again in a real NBA game. We will revisit this player perhaps in three years to see if he can find the player he is supposed to defend by then. Of course, on the Kings, his defensive prowess puts him at about the middle of the pack on this team, so we may see quite a bit of him on the court his rookie season.   

One final note. Reggie Theus is going to play the majority of his offense this year using the Triangle. He is committing the team to its usage and has instructed his coaches to focus on it full time. The reason for this novelty, at least for the Kings, is last years assist to turnover ratio for the Kings - like last in the League. Once the prettiest team that ever bounced a no-look pass past a befuddled Karl Malone or Shaq, they no longer have apparently practiced how to even hold onto the ball without using Stickum. So the introduction of enemy Laker lore to shore up what Theus calls the stagnant feel on the floor. Without Ron Artest, who is notorious for breaking set plays and relying on isolation play, the Kings now feel the time is right to do something very different - for them. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."