Author Topic: Basketball Suicide Game  (Read 1749 times)

jemagee

Basketball Suicide Game
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »
So, at the moment the basketball suicide game is the idea i'm moving forward with in my web site design class.

I was thinking of setting it up for different levels of competitions, different leagues.

An NBA league
An NCAA league

Would anyone see any benefit in maybe splitting out the NCAA league by conference...especially the majors.  There seems to be fanatical devotion in college basketball and I think having a 'conference' competition would maybe add to the level of competition, smack talk.  People could assign themselves a university affiliation as well and scoring could be looked at by school.

or by NBA team affiliation?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Basketball Suicide Game
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
I don't follow college baskketball at all really but it seems like people are all about their conferences.  I'd say that would be a way to go with NCAA picks.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »
Man, I wish I could come up with a more 'simple' first web site project than one that's going to require so much programming and database design...ah well...

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:15:26 AM »
Basketball suicide is a bad name isn't it?  It's starting to seem like I need to come up with a new name

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 03:51:39 PM »
Basketball suicide is a bad name isn't it?  It's starting to seem like I need to come up with a new name

Whatever you call it, I think the game should be something like this:

You have to pick the winner of 20 games every week.
Each team can only be picked to win once a week.
Each team can only be picked to lose once a week.
For a tie breaker, guess the total number of points for any one of the 20 games you predicted.

Playing it that way mimics a football pool pretty closely, those pools are one of the most popular forms of gambling in the US.  It would be easy to set it up as an application for that game IF you could import and display the weekly b-ball schedule.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »
For a tie breaker, guess the total number of points for any one of the 20 games you predicted.

I'm not even sure you could do that every week with those limitations...i've recently been toying with the idea of picking 'teams' to have the best record that week....or a team to go undefeated in the week...i'm still so raw in the basics of understanding the php coding and database needs for it, I don't know how long it would take me to get running, maybe by the ASB this year

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »
I do appreciate the suggestions by the way - it stimulates my creativity to read the ideas.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »

I'm not even sure you could do that every week with those limitations...i've recently been toying with the idea of picking 'teams' to have the best record that week....or a team to go undefeated in the week...i'm still so raw in the basics of understanding the php coding and database needs for it, I don't know how long it would take me to get running, maybe by the ASB this year

There are 30 teams in the league at LEAST twice a week so you have at least 60 games to choose from.  Since you only have to pick 20 winners that means you could go the whole season without picking 10 teams to win all year.

If you want to make it easier, you could make is so you have to pick 10 winners and 10 losers every week.

You have to pick the winner of 10 games every week.
Each team can only be picked to win once a week in this catagory.
Each team can only be picked to lose once a week in this catagory.

You have to pick the loser of 10 games every week.
Each team can only be picked to win once a week in this catagory.
Each team can only be picked to lose once a week in this catagory.

For a tie breaker, guess the total number of points for any one of the 20 games you predicted.[/quote]

In the end splitting the 20 into a winners and losers bracket allows you to pick the same team to lose and win each week twice.  You have the double jeapordy when picking one game to decide a winner and loser if that game is an upset, meaning you can get two predictions wrong in one game.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:54:22 PM »
Oh i know that, but i got confused when you mentioned they couldn't pick the same team to lose more than once, the way i read it was that if

Celtics vs Hawks
Lakers vs Hawks

You couldn't pick the celtics AND the lakers cause you'd be picking the same team to lose.

I never heard of a suicide pool where you picked teams to lose :)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
Oh i know that, but i got confused when you mentioned they couldn't pick the same team to lose more than once, the way i read it was that if

Celtics vs Hawks
Lakers vs Hawks

You couldn't pick the celtics AND the lakers cause you'd be picking the same team to lose.

I never heard of a suicide pool where you picked teams to lose :)

In my first proposal you could not do that, and I think that makes you think harder about the teams you pick because anyone vs bottom dwellers is a favorite and that might make the game a little too easy.

In my second proposal that scenario is valid.  You would pick the Celtics to win vs the Hawks and you would pick the Hawks to lose to the Lakers in the second game.

I prefer the first method, you could reduce the number of games to predict if you think there might be too many limitations with those rules.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »
Ok, so i've gotten started on this and found a web site where i could download the entire nba schedule by date...

I think I know how to get the 'daily' picks set up so you can't pick days that have already passed.

I'm not SURE that I can get the scoring right...it's a complicated query i think and i don't know for sure if it will work (cause it involves multiple tables and links between tables based on concatenations that i've never tried before)...in my mind it makes sense but I have to write it and have some data to work with.

Would anyone be interested in helping me test this?  There's no pretty lay out yet or motivation to do it aside from 'pride' - i know how much people on this board like to be better than other people at stuff :)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
Would anyone be interested in helping me test this?  There's no pretty lay out yet or motivation to do it aside from 'pride' - i know how much people on this board like to be better than other people at stuff :)

I prefer to lay in the weeks and say I could have done it better after I see it.

I could help out if you need.  Not sure how much I can contribute, I will be traveling a lot this month.  Plus I've written an SQL query or two in my life.  Sounds like you will need a bit more advanced queries than the average Joe in order to keep the response decent, inner/outer joins are a bastard!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »
All I really need right now are people to make picks :)  be a simple radio button thing for each day - pick the winners - everything else i'll try and do on my own first because i like to solve problems.  it'll be functional, but ugly,

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
All I really need right now are people to make picks :)  be a simple radio button thing for each day - pick the winners - everything else i'll try and do on my own first because i like to solve problems.  it'll be functional, but ugly,

I can give it a go for a few weeks.  Might not have time after the first of the year.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
Ill give it a shot as well
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com