Author Topic: MVP  (Read 3622 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
MVP
« on: April 12, 2004, 11:29:23 AM »
Cast your vote, offer your opinion.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
MVP
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 11:46:20 AM »
KG by a long shot
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

MVP
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 12:13:12 PM »
Stephon Marbury.  :lol:

Seriously, KG all the way.    

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
MVP
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 12:59:52 PM »
IMO, KG is the best player in the NBA but TD is the MVP by a metric mile.

Last year it SHOULD have been KG, but when you look at the supporting cast and thier records there is NO ARGUMENT for not choosing TD.

Since this is the NBA KG will probably win it THIS year even though he DESERVED it LAST year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
MVP
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 02:14:01 PM »
The list is six players too long. KG has done absolutely nothing to prevent him from winning the MVP this year.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
MVP
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 04:00:01 PM »
What about Jermaine?  He is the best player on the team with the best record in the league!
What about Peja?  He was the best player on the best team, and then CWebb came back and he became less of a focus, and looked at what happened.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jn

MVP
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 04:10:24 PM »
Jermaine and Peja are good players but their defense is nowhere near good enough to merit serious consideration in comparison to KG and TD.  Also they play on teams that succeeded even when they developing players.    

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
MVP
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 04:30:16 PM »
JN, I agree, I voted for KG, but I have been hearing rumblings about Jermaine being one of the favorites for the MVP.  He is top 10 player, but he ain't even close to KG and TD.

Bummer about Joe Mauer.  It looks like it will only be 3 to 4 weeks, so I am sure he will come back, but I was counting on him.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
MVP
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 04:46:17 PM »
This article says it best:

Popovich likes Garnett for league MVP
Web Posted: 04/12/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Minnesota Timberwolves power forward Kevin Garnett just picked up a significant endorsement as this season's NBA Most Valuable Player from an unexpected source: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

Considering Spurs power forward Tim Duncan is the reigning two-time MVP, that is a powerful ally for Garnett to have.

Citing the fact Garnett's Timberwolves have the best record in the Western Conference and he has not missed a game this season, Popovich said Minnesota's perennial All-Star, runner-up to Duncan in the MVP voting last season, "deserves that recognition."

"I think Kevin Garnett's had an MVP season, considering everything that goes into being MVP," Popovich said. "Kevin's done a great job and deserves that recognition this year. I think Timmy's been one of the top players in the league, but you look at Kevin's numbers and what his team has done and the fact he hasn't missed any games, and all those sorts of things make him a pretty darn good choice."

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
MVP
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 05:03:46 PM »
The thing is, Duncan clearly is the MVP of the Spurs, as they struggle when he has to sit out. O'Neal of Indiana is dominating the Eastern Conference. O'Neal of LA is only the most dominant player in the League, when he wants to be or healthy enough to be. Peja is the best shooter since Larry Bird, and he keeps improving his game each year and he clearly became a huge factor in the Kings' early season success.

And none of them have come close to the overall impact and intensity Kevin Garnett has provided to his team this year.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
MVP
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 06:57:11 PM »
Hmmm...3 votes for Duncan. Can't some of you lay aside your team affiliations for one frickin minute.  :rolleyes:  

Guest_Randy

MVP
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 12:26:35 AM »
KG has had the best year of anyone in the league -- and that's what MVP is in my book (I think Joey V disagrees with that concept if memory serves me correctly).  KG has had a better year that TD, not to mention that TD missed enough games that I don't think he deserves consideration.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
MVP
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 09:10:16 AM »
not to mention that TD missed enough games that I don't think he deserves consideration.
Missed games wasn't a factor when Shaq was in the running the last few years?

That hatin' is shining thru again Mr Randy.

:ph34r:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

MVP
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 09:55:44 AM »
not to mention that TD missed enough games that I don't think he deserves consideration.

Do you remember ME giving him my vote?  I think anyone who misses a substantial amount of games shouldn't be considered -- and I don't care if it's Shaq or TD.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
MVP
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 01:50:27 PM »

Do you remember ME giving him my vote?  I think anyone who misses a substantial amount of games shouldn't be considered -- and I don't care if it's Shaq or TD.
Simmer down Randy, that was the best he could come up with, poor little TexassTard.

I voted TD because this is about the MVP, NOT about the BEST PLAYER.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"