Author Topic: speaking of foods, let's talk "'hood" snacks...  (Read 3442 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
speaking of foods, let's talk "'hood" snacks...
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
I like to get stuff like hotdogs and all of that, but I have to say, I just stopped at this one little mom and pop snack stand and got "hot cheetos with nacho cheese"   .....sinful, just sinful....this is the BOMB!!  horrible for health, but man it is good....messy...but good.  I used to stop at this place and try the corn in a cup, it's a tex mex thing, (corn kernels, cooked, butter, mayo, chili powder, white cheese,) sounds horrible - tastes great.  I think after today I will have to avoid that place because this little ghetto-licious snack is going to be my downfall..... :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:14:21 PM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: speaking of foods, let's talk neighborhood snacks...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:54:39 PM »
What are you talking about? That corn in a cup sounds excellent.

I live right by a couple bakeries.  Right now my favorite health ruiner is a pecan fudge browny.  It's under $2 and usually lasts 3 days.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: speaking of foods, let's talk "'hood" snacks...
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
I am a sucker for the mexican flaming hot cheetos with the lime.  I also like those mexican mango pops with the chilli powder on the outside.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:26:08 PM »
I am a sucker for the mexican flaming hot cheetos with the lime.  I also like those mexican mango pops with the chilli powder on the outside.

You know it's funny, I love getting a fruit cup every now and then, but can't stand it when they put chili powber all over it ....but yet at the same time like Mango with chili powder too...I would not eat mango without it...nasty.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:19:46 PM »
Aaah wait.  I missed the "hood" part of the equation.  The bakeries are actually quality places.  For real trash I get onion rings from the middle eastern grill jammed into a local convenience store and staffed by a dude covered in tattoos and missing a couple teeth.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »

That is definately hood, so are chillie fritos with cheese.  They cut off the top of the bag and dump a ladle of chillie and sprinkle some cheese on it.  You also get those guys pushing the ice cream cart selling the Mexican ice pops made from recycled water IMO.  ;D

I must say, the ultimate "hood" snack, not taking bout "da blaahks" hood, is the corn cart.  You get boiled corn on the cob with butter, mayo, paramesian cheese, lime and hot chile salt.  MAYO?  Are you kidding me?  My kids lover that crap but I hate it. 

Funny, I was born and raised in the "hood" in central LA and I hate ghetto food, my kids grew up as white bread as can be in San Diego and they love crap like fried bologna sandwiches, lead laced Mexican spicey candy, horchata and of course ghetto snacks.  The only thing worse would be if my kids started asking for lox and bagels or "soul food", then I would probably have to just drown them in my bath tub.

Where the heck did I go wrong? 
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »
The corn guy is the illest!!!  Though we don't have one in the neighborhood I live in.  Which is weird because there is a lot of hispanic families....but it's in Huntington Beach.  Not exactly anywhere near the Bario.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »
The corn guy is the illest!!!  Though we don't have one in the neighborhood I live in.  Which is weird because there is a lot of hispanic families....but it's in Huntington Beach.  Not exactly anywhere near the Bario.

Other than Santa Ana there are no "hoods" in the OC pinche white boy!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:02:41 PM »
Aaah wait.  I missed the "hood" part of the equation.  The bakeries are actually quality places.  For real trash I get onion rings from the middle eastern grill jammed into a local convenience store and staffed by a dude covered in tattoos and missing a couple teeth.

See, it is descriptions like this that just make you want to crack open your computer so you can experience the stale onion breathe wafting through the gaps in this guys' teeth as you try to work up the courage to ask him if the tatoo of "MOTHER" across his knuckles has the same connotation as a teardrop prison tat.   
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:10:33 PM »

The corn guy does the corn cup here, you can still get corn on a stick in some places...never had fried balogna sammich before. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »
To play this 'hood food game, I can't in my own neighborhood, but let me tell of my favorite from that "hood" town, New Orleans.

Vernell's beer -oyster shooters at the Crescent City Brew Pub on Decatur. You have to asked for them and they are guaranteed to do two things -burn the bejesus out of your ear canals and create instant conversation with everyone else at the bar. Not a menu item - you have to catch him when his boss is not around and just tip him a couple of bucks for the treats. I normally just put some money on the bar and tell him to get me as many as that will buy.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 07:33:58 PM »
To play this 'hood food game, I can't in my own neighborhood, but let me tell of my favorite from that "hood" town, New Orleans.

Vernell's beer -oyster shooters at the Crescent City Brew Pub on Decatur. You have to asked for them and they are guaranteed to do two things -burn the bejesus out of your ear canals and create instant conversation with everyone else at the bar. Not a menu item - you have to catch him when his boss is not around and just tip him a couple of bucks for the treats. I normally just put some money on the bar and tell him to get me as many as that will buy.

new orleans...THAT'S HOOD!  I have been there a few times, usually grab the peel and eat crawfish from the fench market...

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 09:59:51 PM »

Oh crap!  Cali folk are snobs!  Oyster is to hood what the Kings are to championship basketball!  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 09:53:10 AM »

Other than Santa Ana there are no "hoods" in the OC pinche white boy!

I know that ese but those corn guys are not exclusive to the "hood" they are where ever there is a huge concentration of brown individuals  ;D

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 11:41:30 AM »

new orleans...THAT'S HOOD!  I have been there a few times, usually grab the peel and eat crawfish from the fench market...

Well.....guess it has been a while since you were there. The French Market was closed the last time I was in New Orleans for repair. Completely deserted.