Author Topic: Could Michael Phelps play NBA hoop if he wanted to?  (Read 7642 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Could Michael Phelps play NBA hoop if he wanted to?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »
I think a more compelling question is could Michael Phelps have been an NBA player (meaning had he pursued Basketball instead of swimming), rather than could michael phelps play basketball (mean if he started trying now).

Only slightly more compelling, because ultimately there's no way to predict the mental understanding playing PG demands, but more compelling than expecting a 23 year old who's never competitively played to pick up basketball at the highest level.

Good point bods.  Duncan switched from swimming to basketball in his teens.  If Phelps had done the same maybe he could have excelled at bball.  He has the mental drive to succeed and could possibly have developed the basketball skills necessary.

That was my point!!!! Argh.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »
Basically this is what I agree with.  Lurker do you remember the age Duncan switched.  I believe it was as late as 16, correct?

Yeah it would be obvious if tim duncan swam until his 20s and competed in 2 olympics, and then picked up basketball in his 20s

Agreed that its too late in the game for Phelps.  Had Duncan reached 24 and been training solely for swimming, he would have wasted the rest of his formative years.  Could Phelps have become an NBA star had he made the switch early, 15 or 16, who knows!  But there is a precedent.
Duncs was 14 when his mother died and the hurricane ruined the Islands only pool.  I think he started hooping right away at 14.  I'll post the whole article if thats okay with you and Lurker.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
By Josh Staph of Stack magazine.  Link is no longer.

Hurricane Hugo battered St. Croix in 1989; most of the island was left in ruins, with its buildings demolished and infrastructure in shambles. Miraculously, Tim?s house?with a fortified foundation?withstood the powerful winds and storm surge. Anticipating violent storms, his father William used his expertise in stonework to build a house that couldn?t be knocked down. The local swimming pool, where Tim trained, wasn?t as fortunate. Filled with storm debris and needing extensive repairs, the pool lacked all functionality. Consequently, swim practices were moved to the ocean. But by the time the team reconvened, Tim had experienced another painful blow, which accelerated the demise of his swimming career. His mother Ione, who was his loudest supporter at every swim meet, lost her battle with breast cancer the day before Tim?s 14th birthday. Completely crushed, Tim never swam competitively again.

In the months following his mother?s death, Tim found a new way to express his athleticism and competitive nature while simultaneously dealing with his grief and pain. Just before Ione?s death, Tim?s sister Cheryl, who was living in Ohio, sent a basketball hoop back to St. Croix so Tim could pick up the game. Putting his masonry skills to work again, Tim?s father anchored the hoop in a strong cement base, predicting that nothing could ever knock it down. Before ending his water game, Tim did nothing more than heave a couple of playful shots up at the unfamiliar rim. Little did he know that he was laying the groundwork for his future career.

When Tim?s mother passed, Cheryl and her husband Ricky Lowery, who had been the starting point guard for Capital University, moved back to St. Croix to be with the rest of the Duncans. Ricky took the court with Tim and began teaching him the skills of the game. At about six feet, Tim was tall for his age, and Ricky guessed that he?d grow another four or five inches. With this estimate in mind, Ricky taught Tim the nuances of the perimeter game. Tim discovered a passion for the sport, and before long he was a complete player?able to dribble, pass, finish off the break and shoot from the outside, especially the pull-up jumper off the glass.
The next fall, as a 14-year-old freshman, Tim tried out for and made St. Dunstan Episcopal High School?s varsity team. Initially, his approach to the game was pretty nonchalant?just a way to have fun and get over the loss of his mom?but that quickly changed. Over the next three seasons, Tim grew nine inches and began dominating the entire Caribbean. The perimeter skills Ricky taught him, combined with his new tall frame, made Tim an unstoppable threat, which the Virgin Islands had never before seen.

When he was 16, something happened to show Tim that his talent was rare everywhere, not just on the small islands. A group of NBA stars flew down to St. Croix for some rest and relaxation, and one day they decided to play some hoops with the locals. The recently drafted Alonzo Mourning matched up against Tim. The two big men battled back and forth in front of a group of spectators. When all was said and done, the teenager had played the NBA star to a draw. Word of this island teenager with amazing skills soon reached the U.S. mainland, and colleges came calling. Nevertheless, unlike most seven-foot high school players who had proven they could hang with an NBA player, Tim?s phone wasn?t buzzing off the hook.

While U.S. blue chips were out proving themselves to college coaches in AAU games and summer league tournaments and camps, Tim relied on coaches coming to him. The University of Hartford, University of Delaware and Providence College all sent coaches down to scout Tim in person, and all three offered him a full ride on the spot. Wake Forest, the only large school to show interest in Tim, sent head coach Dave Odom. Instead of watching Tim play an organized game inside a gym, Odom witnessed him playing pick-up ball on an outdoor court. Although Odom was nervous about the informal set-up, Tim?s game was convincing enough for Odom to offer him a scholarship.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 04:27:01 PM »
I think a more compelling question is could Michael Phelps have been an NBA player (meaning had he pursued Basketball instead of swimming), rather than could michael phelps play basketball (mean if he started trying now).

Only slightly more compelling, because ultimately there's no way to predict the mental understanding playing PG demands, but more compelling than expecting a 23 year old who's never competitively played to pick up basketball at the highest level.

Good point bods.  Duncan switched from swimming to basketball in his teens.  If Phelps had done the same maybe he could have excelled at bball.  He has the mental drive to succeed and could possibly have developed the basketball skills necessary.  
Ah!  Some fresh air amidst the self-puffery barrel floaters.
Yes Dabods i think if Phelps plays hoop from childhood it triples his chances.  But i dont count him out starting 4 years ago.  He was only 19 then.  Still late, but with what he has displayed i believe the potential to translate his skills exists.  

What the hell has he displayed IN THE POOL that makes you think he can be a good basketball player in the NBA.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »
Duncan switched from swimming to basketball in his teens.  If Phelps had done the same maybe he could have excelled at bball.  He has the mental drive to succeed and could possibly have developed the basketball skills necessary.

Basically this is what I agree with.  Lurker do you remember the age Duncan switched.  I believe it was as late as 16, correct?

Yeah it would be obvious if tim duncan swam until his 20s and competed in 2 olympics, and then picked up basketball in his 20s

Agreed that its too late in the game for Phelps.  Had Duncan reached 24 and been training solely for swimming, he would have wasted the rest of his formative years.  Could Phelps have become an NBA star had he made the switch early, 15 or 16, who knows!  But there is a precedent.

This is a pretty stupid discussion IMO.  Why don't we throw in any soccer player over 6 feet since Hakeem came from that sport.  How about any quick player over 6 ft in the NFL, there are a bunch of wide recievers that could play PG or even SG in the NBA right?  How about all those olympic volley ball players, those guys are tall and jump like crazy?  How about any water polo players?  They have 10X the stamina of Phelps?

Why stop at B-ball?  Let's throw EVERY major league pitcher into the discussion of jumping into the NFL quarterback slot, to replace Brady on NE, since Elway played baseball all the way through HS.  Since Charlie Ward went NBA pro lets throw every Heisman quality QB into the mix as welll since they have as many qualifications as Phelps and there is actually, as in the TD case, a "precedent".

The fraking idiot virus is spreading fast.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »
Most likely.  One year of .300 hitting (barely), a career avg of .263, and playing in less than half the games over a 9 year career.  Sounds like one heck of a baseball player.  I guess its a good thing he didn't count on making a living that way.
Some more barrel blastin.
Yeah, as a CPA you know making 13 million dollars over 9 years is just scraping by.
1991 Atlanta Braves $660,000
1992 Atlanta Braves $600,000
1993 Atlanta Braves $3,166,667
1994 Atlanta Braves $3,632,513
1995 Cincinnati Reds $3,666,667
1997 Cincinnati Reds $1,200,000
2000 Cincinnati Reds $300,000
Career $13,225,847 (may be incomplete as this is 7 of 9 years, the other two years the team did not report)

Oh and your attempts to diss his baseball career, you know since earlier you said No one could do it, well.
.533 World Series ba (8-15) in 1992, won by the Braves.
1st in Triples '92  (top 10 3Xs)
2nd in stolen bases twice
and your Popavich loving soul should really appreciate his defense.  Because Defense wins Championships.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »
Most likely.  One year of .300 hitting (barely), a career avg of .263, and playing in less than half the games over a 9 year career.  Sounds like one heck of a baseball player.  I guess its a good thing he didn't count on making a living that way.
Yeah, as a CPA you know making 13 million dollars over 9 years is just scraping by.
Career $13,225,847 (may be incomplete as this is 7 of 9 years, the other two years the team did not report)

Oh and your attempts to diss his baseball career, you know since earlier you said No one could do it, well.
and your Popavich loving soul should really appreciate his defense.  Because Defense wins Championships.

He also played less than half the games (average) each year.  I believe he never played over 100 games.  He didn't play full time and basically was an average role player. 

In one world series he batted only 15 times?  What about the other 8 seasons he played baseball?

So he used his natural speed (athletic ability) to stretch doubles into triples.  And stolen bases...hmmm, let's see natural speed again.  And his defense was based on his speed.  He didn't have a good arm...his assists were matched by his errors.  He was not a good baseball player.  He used his natural speed to make it as a role player in MLB.  Mostly he was paid as a box office draw.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 10:01:21 PM »

He also played less than half the games (average) each year.  I believe he never played over 100 games.  He didn't play full time and basically was an average role player. 

In one world series he batted only 15 times?  What about the other 8 seasons he played baseball?

So he used his natural speed (athletic ability) to stretch doubles into triples.  And stolen bases...hmmm, let's see natural speed again.  And his defense was based on his speed.  He didn't have a good arm...his assists were matched by his errors.  He was not a good baseball player.  He used his natural speed to make it as a role player in MLB.  Mostly he was paid as a box office draw.

Swimming and Basketball are night and day.  Baseball and football are much closer in comparison based on the simple fact they are team sports.   

Reality what in the pool showed you that he could be good enough to play in the NBA?!  You've yet to explain what brought you to make this thread.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 10:43:45 AM »
What the hell has he displayed IN THE POOL that makes you think he can be a good basketball player in the NBA.
Transferable athleticism and mind power.  Along with 6'8" wingspan and 5% lactate.  ;)
http://munfitnessblog.com/how-michael-phelps-managed-to-break-so-many-swimming-world-records-one-after-another/

jemagee
See above.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 11:05:18 AM »
^^^^^^

:D  What a moron!  Now we know your "insiders", BLOGS!   LMAO@U!

Dang, you've been PWND!!!!!!!  AGAIN!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 11:12:59 AM »
I guess Stupidity will never know the answer to his questions because those millions of dollars Phelps could get to play in the NBA is probably what is keeping him from trying, it can't be because he simply can not play.  Fraking moron!
I thought you skirted off quite a few posts ago.  No?
Back for more real ownage.  ;)

Reality
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=5612292&page=1
To get a sense of how much money Michael Phelps is likely to make in the next 10 years, imagine each of those eight medals around his neck as 1,000 pounds of solid gold.

Michael Phelps could make $100 million in his lifetime from endorsement deals and speeches but he's still nowhere near the level of professional athletes like Tiger Woods and Lebron James.
(ABC News)
That's roughly equivalent to the $100 million payday anticipated to come to the star swimmer during his lifetime, according to his agent and sports marketing experts.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »
Transferable athleticism and mind power.  Along with 6'8" wingspan and 5% lactate.  ;)
http://munfitnessblog.com/how-michael-phelps-managed-to-break-so-many-swimming-world-records-one-after-another/

jemagee
See above.

Mind power?  What mind power displayed in the pool translates into running point for a pro basketball team? LOL

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 11:34:02 AM »
Michael Phelps could make $100 million in his lifetime from endorsement deals and speeches but he's still nowhere near the level of professional athletes like Tiger Woods and Lebron James.
(ABC News)
That's roughly equivalent to the $100 million payday anticipated to come to the star swimmer during his lifetime, according to his agent and sports marketing experts.

Self PWND!!!!!!   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  I guess Phelps is allergic to LeBron James money!!!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 11:38:05 AM »
westkoast   Mind power?  What mind power displayed in the pool translates into running point for a pro basketball team? LOL
Gee I don't know.  Does it take any mind power/self control/determination to train like he did and bang out 8 gold medals?  "Phelps has been training almost 5 hours a day and 7 days a week without any rest day."

"Tactic and Mind Power - Some other swimmers may have tactics to swim fastest they can when they dip into the water; some may reserve their energy for the final lap. Michael?s tactic is simple - he just swims consistently with same pace, from the start till the end. His strokes remain uniform like robot, from the start to end. Nothing spontaneous. When other swimmers are fighting against fatigue, Phelps still swims calmly as if he is swimming downhill with his smooth strokes. It is not that he is not tired, but his ability to relax and focus have helped him to block out the pain and fatigue. He has strong mind power. Michael has an athletic mentality and he is keenly competitive, and that is what drives him."

Do you know how tempting it would be if in a race you were behind, or for that matter ahead and get paranoid (behind) or anxious (ahead) try to overdo it, change pace like the other swimmers do?
All that training could be transferred.

If you and WoW think Beno Undies and many other similar white players can make the NBA but Phelps never could, oh well.  I do see where you have adjusted and said Phelps could make it if he started as a young teen, once the posts were made by Skandery on Duncan and further his not playing a lick of hoop till age 14 you adjusted/pedaled.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 11:39:45 AM by Reality »