Author Topic: Sixers extend Cheeks.... again.  (Read 4012 times)

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers extend Cheeks.... again.
« on: September 09, 2008, 12:53:27 PM »
http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/cheeks_080909.html

The Sixers added another extension on top of the previous one he got.  I would have preferred for this to happen after the season but whatever.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:55:05 PM by sixersftw »

jemagee

Re: Sixers extend Cheeks.... again.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »
Wasn't too happy with the first extension, so another one, meh

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »
I am not surprised, but wonder how many years he got.  He entered last year as a lame duck and did well enough to earn the one year extension from Stefanski that covered this year.  That was essentially a limited vote of confidence to remove his lame duck status.  It will be interesting to see if they really commit to him or just add another year on.  My best guess is that the deal is for two additional years after this one.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »
I think 2 years is a safe bet. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:15:20 PM »
Sixer posters.
Happy, sad, mixed?

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:35:59 PM »
Meh. I think most of us are somewhat ambivalent about it. It's hard to say how much to credit him and how much to credit Ed.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 06:36:59 PM »
Doesn't really mean anything, since if they decide that he's not a good enough coach, they'll get rid of him whether he's under contract or not!

I wasn't happy with Cheeks last season, as what tells me whether a coach is good or not is what he gets out of the talent he has, that is, he exhausts all possible combinations before deciding on a set rotation.

It is apparent that Cheeks would have continued to play Korver all season, and we would have never seen Thad Young develop, or see Rodney Carney if Stefanski hadn't made a trade.

Some coaches don't like to play rookies or give them a chance, but when you have a loosing team, you have to see what else you can do.  The Sixers were a loosing team until they after they traded Kyle and the younger players learned how to play well enough so that the Sixers could win.  IMO, The Sixers would have had a loosing season last year and would never have learned about their young players if there was no trade, and it would have been entirely Cheeks fault.

I'm also of the opinion that great teams make great coaches.  The team that Stefanski has assembled gives Cheeks the pieces to contend for a Championship for a long time.  It is a work in progress that might be improved upon as time goes on, but it appears that they have enough talent with the players they have that over the next 3 years they should get to an NBA finals.  I say three since some of their players are very inexperienced and will not reach their full potential this season.

My biggest problem with Cheeks was his rotations and his tendency to play shorter players out of position against larger opponents.  Thanks to the changes to the line-up, it is unlikely that Cheeks will find a way to screw up having an advantage at nearly every position except against the best teams.  

The only concerns I have this season are how many minutes Speights gets early in the year. We are somewhat short-handed at the power forward spot, so if he can play he would be a big asset by the end of the year as a back-up to Brand and Dalembert.

I'm pretty confident in the players that Cheeks has in the line-up and that Thad Young will do fine as a starting small forward. Iguodala should have better stats this season, playing against guards instead of forwards, and Brand will give us a huge scoring kick compared with Reggie Evans.

Mo might not be the best coach in the league, but he's not going to mess that up!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:20:15 PM »
This is what sucks about the NBA and the head coaching job in general....

If this team was tanking it would be all his fault.  No one would blame the GM in the same way they would blame the coach.  The Sixers had a heck of a season (IMO) and look to be set to do well again next year.  Yet people will say 'Well I don't know how much Cheeks did'
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 07:10:39 AM »

If this team was tanking it would be all his fault.  No one would blame the GM in the same way they would blame the coach.  The Sixers had a heck of a season (IMO) and look to be set to do well again next year.  Yet people will say 'Well I don't know how much Cheeks did'

Being a coach who can get a bad team to play hard and overachieve is not necessarily the same as being a good coach.  This team did, after all, still finish below .500.  I would have preferred to see how Mo handles a team with expectations before making a determination on the future.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:14:20 AM »
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20080910_Sixers_give_Cheeks_contract_extension.html

Only a one year extension according to Jasner.  I like this move, you no longer have a lame duck coach, but no major commitment in terms of years if you decide to go in another direction after this year.  Now Cheeks' contract will not be an issue for anyone, including the media this year.  Also shows the players some commitment to a coach they seem to like.  If Cheeks does not take the team farther this year with the increased talent and experience on this team, then it will be fairly painless to replace him next off-season.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »

Being a coach who can get a bad team to play hard and overachieve is not necessarily the same as being a good coach.  This team did, after all, still finish below .500.  I would have preferred to see how Mo handles a team with expectations before making a determination on the future.

And there's a line of argument that the sixers didn't 'overachieve' last year in terms of record made by someone much smarter than me whose opinions i've come to trust.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 11:00:41 AM »
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20080910_Sixers_give_Cheeks_contract_extension.html

Only a one year extension according to Jasner.  I like this move, you no longer have a lame duck coach, but no major commitment in terms of years if you decide to go in another direction after this year.  Now Cheeks' contract will not be an issue for anyone, including the media this year.  Also shows the players some commitment to a coach they seem to like.  If Cheeks does not take the team farther this year with the increased talent and experience on this team, then it will be fairly painless to replace him next off-season.

Isn't this the SECOND one year extension of the off season?  He already wasn't a lame duck coach after the first extension...what did he do between the first and second extension to earn the second one?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »

Isn't this the SECOND one year extension of the off season?  He already wasn't a lame duck coach after the first extension...what did he do between the first and second extension to earn the second one?

No.  He was a lame-duck through most of last year because his contract was expiring.  Near the end of the season they extended him for the upcoming season.  With this new extension he is under contract only this season and next.  Unless something amazingly bad happens he was going to be here this whole year anyway, so all they have added is a guaranteed salary for 2009-2010.  If he gets fired after this season they are only on the hook for one more season.  If he does a great job they have him under contract for next year at a reasonable price instead of him becoming a FA.  Just try to remember what kind of extension BK would have given him last year.  He would probably be locked in for longer than Willie Green.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 12:13:52 PM »

He was given a 1 year extension in February, which gave him a contract for the 2008-2009 season.  This extension extends him through the 2009-2010.  Had he not gotten this extension, he would have been in the final year of his deal this year as well.

I also don't think there's any question the team overachieved last year.  That doesn't mean they were a very good team, and doesn't change the fact that they were under .500, but they did overachieve.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »

He was given a 1 year extension in February, which gave him a contract for the 2008-2009 season.  This extension extends him through the 2009-2010.  Had he not gotten this extension, he would have been in the final year of his deal this year as well.

I also don't think there's any question the team overachieved last year.  That doesn't mean they were a very good team, and doesn't change the fact that they were under .500, but they did overachieve.

My mistake on the extension, I misunderstood the timings

As for your saying 'there's no question' - well there is, and while you may not agree with it, a persuasive statistical argument was made by David Berri after the regular season that the Sixers performed exactly as they should have, that there was no over achievement based on facts, but over achievement based on artificially low expectations, based on the belief that the loss of Iverson made the sixers 'that much worse' (the 500 post iverson/webber record in the 06/07 season seen by many including myself as a mirage when it may just have been an indication that that's what the sixers were, a 500 team)

http://dberri.wordpress.com/2008/04/19/better-experts-needed-more-on-an-article-in-the-philadelphia-city-paper/#more-784