Author Topic: Celtis sign Darius Miles. Will this screw the Blazers?  (Read 6097 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Celtis sign Darius Miles. Will this screw the Blazers?
« on: August 26, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »
Miles, thought to have career-ending injury, signs with Celtics
ESPN.com news services

Updated: August 22, 2008, 6:34 PM ET

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics on Friday signed forward Darius Miles, who missed the last two NBA seasons due to microfracture surgery on his right knee.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 6-foot-9, 235-pound Miles was selected in 2000 as the third overall pick in the NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. The last time he played was with Portland in the 2005-2006 season.

Portland waived Miles in April after a doctor appointed by the league and the NBA's players' association determined the damage to his knee was severe enough to qualify as a career-ending injury.

Celtics general manager Danny Ainge said in a statement Friday that the team worked out Miles twice and was impressed with his health and attitude.

"Darius ... has impressed us with his progress, health, and attitude," Ainge said. "Darius will have the next couple of months to prove to myself and Coach [Doc] Rivers that he can help us win."

Miles, who was drafted out of East St. Louis High School, has posted career averages of 10.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.15 blocks in 412 NBA games.

"I've watched the Boston Celtics play a lot last year and loved what I saw in their teamwork and chemistry on the court, and it's the team that I want to try to resume my career with," Miles said in the team's statement. "I am excited about having an opportunity to play on a team that I feel my personality fits with and a team that can have great success on the court."

Also Friday, the Celtics signed second-round draft pick Bill Walker. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

Re: Celtis sign Darius Miles. Will this screw the Blazers?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »
Nah...he has to play for the blazers to get screwed as i understand it.

As far as i'm concerned this is like a 'non roster invite' to training camp and i expect he'd get waived before the regular season started

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:44:55 PM »

As far as i'm concerned this is like a 'non roster invite' to training camp and i expect he'd get waived before the regular season started

I read that if Miles plays 10 games with an NBA team the Blazers are on the hook for his salary.  Otherwise insurance pays for his salary.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »

I read that if Miles plays 10 games with an NBA team the Blazers are on the hook for his salary.  Otherwise insurance pays for his salary.

I highly doubt he plays 10 games.  Not quite sure what the Celtics are thinking by signing him really.  I mean a few years ago, when he was still a Clipper, he showed a lot of potential.  Now it's been a long time since he played in a pro game so I don't see what I guess they saw.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 05:32:18 PM »

Darius Miles waived today by Celts.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »

Darius Miles waived today by Celts.

This is good news for Portland.  I see it as being highly unlikely that he will actually play this year, which is all that matters to Portland.  That gives us the ability to take our 3 biggest contracts off the book this year (Francis, LaFrentz, and Miles), which is $36 million.  That gives us the maximum flexibility in signing a FA if we want.  If he plays next year then he shows on our cap next year, but we would have already signed a FA.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
That gives us the maximum flexibility in signing a FA if we want.

And resign all those restricted free agents, I mean doesn't the blazers owner have more money than marc cuban?

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
CHad Ford feels some NBA Western Conference GM will sign Miles just to screw the blazers, get him his 10 games, then cut him.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »
CHad Ford feels some NBA Western Conference GM will sign Miles just to screw the blazers, get him his 10 games, then cut him.

Wouldn't he be able to be picked up after that though?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »

Wouldn't he be able to be picked up after that though?

Yeah, but once he plays 10 games, that's what screws the blazers...if someone thinks he can play they'll keep him of course, but ford thinks someone would sign him just to frack the blazers out of 10 mil in cap room.

BUt it is Chad Ford - so take it with a pound of salt (or two)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
Personally, I think signing Darius Miles for 20 games (he's suspended for his first 10) screws the team signing him more than it screws the Blazers, even if they do lose a ton of cap space.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »
Should the Blazers be nervous again?  Miles signs with the Grizzlies.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=246866
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »
Couple of things on I saw on this

Apparently Memphis saw something in Miles that led them to believe he can still play.

At this point though, any time away from the court only hampers Miles' effectiveness.

"He wasn't as in as good of shape as he was in the pre-season. It's hard to do by yourself when you've been out that long," Dunleavy continued.

"When you work a guy out you can't work him out five on five, so it's hard to make that determination. Obviously anyone who brings him on, he's going to be in practice with you for about a month before you have to make that decision."

Dunleavy was quick to admit that Miles was "interesting" and that "somebody will pick him up." Now that the latter has come to fruition, Miles is out to prove any naysayers wrong. He isn't about to hang it up. This much we know. But that's just one side of the story. The other side involves his personal history and choices away from the floor where Miles' character is always in question. He earned that stigma from his time in Portland.

and this from blazeredge

Darius Miles

As mentioned in the sidebar by Over Analysis, according to Ronald Tillery, the go-to source for Grizz information, the Memphis Grizzlies have signed Darius Miles.  Here's quotes from two news stories....

Free agent forward Darius Miles arrived in Memphis early Saturday morning and signed a nonguaranteed contract with the Grizzlies following a physical examination.

Miles, 27, hasn't played organized basketball since being cut by the Boston Celtics after training camp. He recently worked out for the Los Angeles Clippers and recalls Charlotte and Chicago showing interest.

But Memphis was the only team ready to sign Miles immediately.

The Griz view Miles as a low-risk proposition at both forward positions, banking on the 6-9 forward overcoming a serious knee injury and jump-starting his once promising career.

In the Grizzlies, Miles said he sees opportunity knocking.

"I'm hungry. Anybody in the position I'm in, and has been through what I've been through the past two years, if he's not hungry he shouldn't waste anybody's time," Miles said. "I'm hungry. I ain't quitting. I feel like I can still do this. I wouldn't even waste the Grizzlies' time if I felt like my career was over."

Miles won't be eligible to play for the Griz until Jan. 4. He must serve a 10-game suspension for violating the league's anti-drug policy by testing positive for a banned weight-loss stimulant.

He can attend practices but cannot be in the arena two hours before the tip-off of games. The Griz visited with Miles in Chicago where he's worked out since leaving Boston.

The Grizzlies' gamble will last until Jan. 7 when they must decide whether to guarantee Miles for the rest of the season. He can appear in two games before then.

Don't skip over that last paragraph!

What's most interesting about this news is the importance of the 10 game suspension and its timing.  Because Darius must sit out 10 games, he can't start playing until January 4, just 3 days before the Grizzlies will have to decide whether to guarantee his contract through the end of the season.

That means his ability to play in 10 games requires that contract extension.  In other words, today's signing does not change the Blazers cap situation, at least not yet.  If January 7 comes and he doesn't get his deal, the Blazers' cap situation will remain as is.  If he does sign the guarantee, the team's worst Darius fears could be confirmed if he plays in 10 games.

The timing here couldn't be more interesting in light of the months of trade rumors between the two teams and because Memphis has been active in recent years before the trade deadline.  If you want to speculate that this signing is another chip in trade negotations between the two teams, I won't stop you.

In any case, hang tight until January 7 -- that's the new D Day for Darius.

For Darius this must be both a blessing and a curse.  Against huge odds, he got himself a deal.  But it's not guaranteed so that means another month of limbo.

UPDATE (5:11PM): Asked for comment about the signing this afternoon, Kevin Pritchard replied, as you might have guessed, "You know I can't comment on any other teams players."

We'll see.  If he makes in Memphis and he goes back on our cap then that means that have him on the cap for next year, so we have less cap space.  If that looks probable, then expect Portland to look harder at trading the infamous "Raef LaFrentz Expiring Contract" (RLEC) before the trade deadline for a player they really like, as opposed to waiting until the summer to sign a FA.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
Memphis released Darius Miles yesterday.  His contract was due to be guaranteed, so perhaps they plan on resigning him to 10 day deals for the rest of the season.  Obviously you don't release someone if you believe they can play, just so you can do the 10 day contract thing.  He did get through his 10 game suspension, and he did play in 2 games.  All that is necessary is that he play in 8 more, and he goes back on the Blazers books, and begins to take up cap space.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:32:18 AM »
New twist to the story

Blazers? magic number for cap turmoil: 2

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Until now, Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard had a secret it appears most of the NBA hadn?t taken the time to discover for itself: Darius Miles is on the brink of blowing up the Blazers? salary-cap space.

Most of the NBA believed Miles still was eight regular-season games away from devastating the Blazers? salary cap, but Yahoo! Sports learned on Wednesday that Miles is just two games away.

Teams had been under the impression that the league?s collective bargaining agreement demanded that Miles play 10 regular-season or postseason games for the $18 million ? which is split evenly between this and next season ? to return to the Blazers? payroll.

All along, the Blazers knew exactly that the preseason games counted, but a league official said Wednesday night, ?He wanted to keep it quiet.?

Apparently, no team had called the league for clarification on the rule that states the season is constituted by the ?first day of training camp and ending immediately after the last game of the NBA Finals.?

The league office confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that the six preseason games that Miles played for the Boston Celtics counts toward the 10. Before the Memphis Grizzlies waived him on Tuesday night to avoid guaranteeing his contract for the rest of the season, Miles played two regular-season games that pushed him to eight total.

Any team in the NBA simply can sign Miles to a 10-day contract, play him twice and punch out one of the summer?s top free-agent destinations. The Blazers are a prime destination for free agents, and the cap space also made them a fierce competitor for sign-and-trade deals. If Miles returns to the salary cap, he also will push Portland into the luxury tax. That means every team under the tax would benefit with about $250,000 of revenue sharing from Portland.

Most NBA executives are reveling in the fact that clogging the Portland cap could be a way to slow the rapid rise of the franchise. Beyond that, there is a level of jealousy over the way that Portland?s owner, Paul Allen, buys up draft picks from poorer teams for his GM to use.

All in all, league executives have been rooting hard for Miles to play those 10 games after he missed two years with a knee injury that Portland and league doctors declared was career-ending.

?Someone is going to scoop him up and play him those two games now,? one Eastern Conference executive said when told the news on Wednesday night. ?Portland is screwed.?

One West GM thinks the Denver Nuggets, who moved under the luxury tax threshold on Wednesday, will be motivated to sign Miles.

Another GM wondered whether the Blazers might pick Miles off waivers and just keep him on the bench, although it?s unlikely the NBA would allow that. Portland also has been collecting insurance money on Miles, and it just seems too unlikely that Allen and Pritchard would go to such an extreme. Nevertheless, the Blazers have an incredible amount to lose here.

When reached on Wednesday night, Jeff Weschler, Miles? agent, said he suspected the rule clarification might be true but had yet to get a confirmation from the NBA.

?We?re not focused on that,? he said. ?Our focus is on Darius getting back and playing ball again. Our focus is not trying to hurt the Blazers.?

AA Mil