Author Topic: Pro Bowl caliber linebacker wanted: Chargers  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Pro Bowl caliber linebacker wanted: Chargers
« on: August 25, 2008, 03:28:29 PM »
ouch. Shawn Merriman is going to be out for the year.  And even if he plays (dumb see Popavich-Gnobili), he'll be 70% tops.
Stephen Cooper another starting lb is out 4 games for drug violations.
Donnie Edwards is long gone from the Bolts.
Chargers got to hope one of the 2nd year guys or even a rookie steps up.
Any NFL teams want to give the Chargers an all star caliber lb?

Gates' toe is still whacked, altho he is expected to recover.

jemagee

Re: Pro Bowl caliber linebacker wanted: Chargers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »
Someday the chargers will move to LA like they really want to
and still no one will care much about them

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 04:43:32 PM »
Ben Leber looks like he'll have another fine year for the Vikes.  ;D
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
^^^ :D
Oh yeah and we've got Steve Foley instead of Leber.  Oh wait... :'(
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=d341d2f1-9991-4cdc-a58a-9499eb0769aa&rss=tick

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »
Someday the chargers will move to LA like they really want to
and still no one will care much about them

Tough for any team to get much love in LA with the Lakers and Dodgers already in town.  You can call it fair weather fans or whatever, other than the Lakers and Dodgers LA does not support teams that don't deliver.  Even with the Lakers, seats were much easier to get during down times or when there was no superstar drawing power.  I guess LA is not a hardcore sports town like NYC or Philly where fans support inferior franchises and have learned to accept and actually cheer for mediocrity.  Just check out a Clippers game, you pretty much get your own row of seats at most home games.   ;D

I think an NFL franchise would have immediate success in LA but the support would fade fast if they don't start having winnig and playoff bound seasons.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:36:48 AM »

Tough for any team to get much love in LA with the Lakers and Dodgers already in town.  You can call it fair weather fans or whatever, other than the Lakers and Dodgers LA does not support teams that don't deliver.  Even with the Lakers, seats were much easier to get during down times or when there was no superstar drawing power.  I guess LA is not a hardcore sports town like NYC or Philly where fans support inferior franchises and have learned to accept and actually cheer for mediocrity.  Just check out a Clippers game, you pretty much get your own row of seats at most home games.   ;D

I think an NFL franchise would have immediate success in LA but the support would fade fast if they don't start having winnig and playoff bound seasons.

Regarding NYC and Philly fans, you can't have much of an affect by booing at your TV set at home. Have to be at the games to do that right. Regarding EC fans compared to WC fans - if you are there, watching the game in ANY EC venue, you had better be prepared to be loud and raucous for the home team or explain why you are taking a seat from someone who would.

LA fans? I actually saw a guy apologize for spilling his latte on the head of the "film producer" sitting in front of him. Then offered to buy him a new toupee. Which the fool turned down. If that had happened in Philly, both guys would need new toupees whether they previous did, or not.

Los Angeles is truly a city that has no need for any sports. I doubt they would even notice if the Lakers left town. Jack would just go down to the 'hood and watch a pick-up game. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »
I guess LA is not a hardcore sports town like NYC or Philly where fans support inferior franchises and have learned to accept and actually cheer for mediocrity

Huh?

Cheer for mediocrity?

don't you remember the Mike Schmidt quote:
"Philadelphia is the only town where you can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day."

Philly fans have been accused of many things, some deservedly so, some blown completely out of proportion.  Accepting mediocrity has never been one of them.

(BTW, Eagles and Flyers pretty much sell out regardless.  Sixers and Phillies do not share that same luxury.  For years before the Phillies got the new stadium and upped their payroll, attendance was mediocre.  The Sixers home attendance prior to this year has actually been one of the worst in the NBA since about 2005)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:23:43 AM by Derek Bodner »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:37:47 PM »
FYI Gents,

There are no "real" sports fans in the US (not at the pro level anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_pTAh1w3Xk
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
FYI Gents,

Not to burst your bubble about "real" sports fans in Greece, but the Hellenic people are known to break into song watching a dog take a crap - and for much longer then these basketball fans did.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »
FYI Gents,

Not to burst your bubble about "real" sports fans in Greece, but the Hellenic people are known to break into song watching a dog take a crap - and for much longer then these basketball fans did.

Exactly.  Real sports fans.  They do this type of stuff at every event, even durring time outs!  Nothing comes close here in the US with the possible exception of Blue Devil fans.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
Anyone who bad mouths LA fans obviously hasn't been to many Dodger, Raider, or Laker games in the past 20-30 years heh

Now ill agree we have a lot of bandwagoners....but we also have the 2nd most people in the entire United States.  People forget New York fans are HUGE bandwagon fans as well.  Not because they dont have die hard fans but because there is just so many peopel who jump on board that live int he area.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
Anyone who bad mouths LA fans obviously hasn't been to many Dodger, Raider, or Laker games in the past 20-30 years heh

Now ill agree we have a lot of bandwagoners....but we also have the 2nd most people in the entire United States.  People forget New York fans are HUGE bandwagon fans as well.  Not because they dont have die hard fans but because there is just so many peopel who jump on board that live int he area.

Even durring the 3-peat years the Laker home games were not exactly packed at tip off.  The away games on the jumbo tron were way better.  Too bad a few idiots have caused that to be pretty much shut down.  It's just too expensive for most die-hards to afford to go to the games.  If you've got money in LA there are probably 100 other things to do EVERY game night.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 04:14:33 PM »

Even durring the 3-peat years the Laker home games were not exactly packed at tip off.  The away games on the jumbo tron were way better.  Too bad a few idiots have caused that to be pretty much shut down.  It's just too expensive for most die-hards to afford to go to the games.  If you've got money in LA there are probably 100 other things to do EVERY game night.

Actually, it probablly has much more to do with rapid transit. Eastern cities are just geared for fans to make it to the arenas, stadiums, and playing fields without also shilling out for gas and parking. Not to mention the time it would take for drivers in LA to get to the games. Hoping on a train that drops you off at the park or arena is just way too easy for die-hard fans to pass up. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »

Actually, it probablly has much more to do with rapid transit. Eastern cities are just geared for fans to make it to the arenas, stadiums, and playing fields without also shilling out for gas and parking. Not to mention the time it would take for drivers in LA to get to the games. Hoping on a train that drops you off at the park or arena is just way too easy for die-hard fans to pass up. 

I didn't think about that.  Good point.  Yankee stadium has a train that runs right up to it.  I believe the same goes for Boston's field as well.  This is a common thing you will hear out here "I was going to go to the game but I wasn't able to get off work in time to sit in traffic to get to the game"  Toss in what WOW is saying about the cost and that probably explains it.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »

I didn't think about that.  Good point.  Yankee stadium has a train that runs right up to it.  I believe the same goes for Boston's field as well.  This is a common thing you will hear out here "I was going to go to the game but I wasn't able to get off work in time to sit in traffic to get to the game"  Toss in what WOW is saying about the cost and that probably explains it.

I have taken the Muni to see the Giants play and BART to see the A's and Raiders play. I would not have gone to see any of these games if I had driven.