Author Topic: OT - Politics doesn't make sense to me  (Read 45542 times)

jemagee

Re: OT - Politics doesn't make sense to me
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »
Bull

Wow you just totally destroyed my argument. I'm speechless.  ::)

That was an argument? Seemed more like an opinion based on little information regarding the actual issue.

Men with opinions on abrotions are like women with opinions on prostate exams.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »

That's the dumbest of the many dumb things you have said in your short time here. Now prostate exams are life-and-death decisions. Well, then again, you may have a different idea of what a prostate exam really is.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »

That's the dumbest of the many dumb things you have said in your short time here. Now prostate exams are life-and-death decisions. Well, then again, you may have a different idea of what a prostate exam really is.

All I know is that I have heard three out of ten men "like" the exams.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »
All I know is that I have heard three out of ten men "like" the exams.

I feel a nickname coming on . . .

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »
I thought newborn babies were easier to put up for adoption then kids who are older then 6 months to a year?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »
Yes. It is easier. And yes, it easy to find homes for newborns.

Please see first sentence of the second paragraph.

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2003/InternationalAdoptionRateinUSDoubledinthe1990s.aspx

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »
The reason politics doesn't make sense to you is that you don't understand what politics is about.  It means different things to different people depending in their place and position within the society.

What the general public at larger perceives to be important is only material when the politicians are trying to get elected.  The rest of the time, they do what they want: spend your money on the things THEY want.

This is why none of the problems society at large perceives are never addressed, the problems continue on as long as possible. Abortion- no one really cares about abortion in politics, but as long as they can get voters to vote for them based on what they say about abortion, they'll still talk and appear to do something about it, BUT THE IMPORTANT thing, is that NOTHING WILL GET DONE.  As soon as the issue is resolved voters won't have that issue anymore and the politicians won't be able to use it to get elected!

The same thing is true with military spending, the war on drugs, using legal action to take more money from tobacco companies, addressing tariff issues with the countries we trade with, controlling spending, halting unnecessary military actions, etc.

Politics is about access to control, who has it, who doesn't, and who gets screwed when the authority misuses it's power.

jemagee

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
So John McCain thinks that by selecting an politically inexperienced lifetime NRA Anti Choice republican that will somehow help him get votes that obama loses to hilary fans?

Seriously, when did we go from best and brightest to mediocre and dim?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »
So John McCain thinks that by selecting an politically inexperienced lifetime NRA Anti Choice republican that will somehow help him get votes that obama loses to hilary fans?

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »
That's too easy an excuse, it all goes together, the mediocre politicians, the nonsense in connecticut of the little league, the rise of the 'voyeurisitic america' epitomized by things like TMZ...i'm not harkening for a return to the 50s or anything, cause those times sucked too, but i just think there's something truly wrong these days,

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 10:22:04 AM »

I think McCain is just balancing the scales. Now we've got two tickets with one candidate having decades of political experience (McCain, Biden) and one candidate with an almost scary lack of experience (Obama, Palin).

Is it true that Obama had been a senator for not quite 200 days when he formed his committee to begin pursuing the nomination?

How long has Palin been in office?

P.S. The gun-toting, "praise-the-lawd" screaming conservative base is still VERY large; it's what gave George Bush his "mandate" in '04. This is a smart pick politically, IMO. She's smart, got a clean background, has a son in Iraq, looks good, is a woman, is unknown, and thus interesting to people who are sick of insiders, and she gives the Republicans their own "historical nomination." I can already see the tears rolling down the cheeks at the Republican national convention, ala Denver last night.

It's a real scene stealer if you ask me.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
That's too easy an excuse, it all goes together, the mediocre politicians, the nonsense in connecticut of the little league, the rise of the 'voyeurisitic america' epitomized by things like TMZ...i'm not harkening for a return to the 50s or anything, cause those times sucked too, but i just think there's something truly wrong these days,

I agree completely.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 10:34:37 AM »
Just read up on wikepedia about Palin, don't know how accurate it is, but it sounds like she doesn't dick around with corruption and pork barrel spending. This could make for an interesting race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

jemagee

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 10:35:30 AM »
If the democrats lose this election they really should just disband since they can't even win when the republicans giftwrap it for them on a silver platter

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
I think nominating a women was a very shrewd move by McCain.  There are a lot of Hilliary supporters who basically were voting for her because of gender.  I have heard comments like "she understands what women go through", " a man will never understand women's issues", etc.  There are enough who will vote Republican just because there is a woman on the ticket and they will know absolutely nothing about her stance on any issues.

And for those who actually think Obama brings change check out some voting records...he is a lemming.  He votes almost straight party lines.  He has not been involved in any bipartisan movements in his short political career.  Be very afraid if Obama becomes president with a Democratic majority in Congress.  The past 2 years of do nothing will end faster than you can blink.  Pelosi & Reid are already salivating over the crap they will push on the American public with a compliant Obama there to sign off on the laws.

BTW I tend to vote third party.  I feel that both of "major" parties have become so ingrained with justifying their own existance that any semblance of working for the good of the country is just more political swill.  The do nothingness of the past 2 years rests just as firmly in the Republican laps as it does with the Dems.  It doesn't matter what a Democratic congress passes if the Republican president vetoes everything.  I find it highly interesting that some of the best times in the past 20-30 for the US has come with one party controlling the White House (Reagan, Clinton) and the opposite party controlling Congress.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues