Author Topic: Spurs re-sign Finley  (Read 1947 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Spurs re-sign Finley
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:32:12 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3537371

Finley to re-sign with Spurs despite interest of others, sources say
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Updated: August 15, 2008, 5:07 PM ET

After drawing interest from a few top contenders, including the NBA's new champions in Boston, Michael Finley has elected to re-sign with the San Antonio Spurs.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Friday that Finley and the Spurs have reached terms on a new deal that has been submitted for league approval.

Contract specifics were not immediately available, but sources say Finley's decision came down to a choice between staying with the Spurs or joining the Boston Celtics as the reigning champs' replacement for James Posey, who signed with the New Orleans Hornets earlier this summer.

Sources say the two-time All-Star also drew strong interest from the Hornets and Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Spurs, though, were determined to keep Finley, 35, even after signing swingman Roger Mason away from the Washington Wizards last month, with Brent Barry leaving San Antonio's wing rotation to sign with the Houston Rockets.

Heading into his 14th season, Finley joined the Spurs in the summer of 2005 after being waived by the Dallas Mavericks via the league's one-time amnesty provision, which allowed the Mavs to avoid paying a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax on the $51.8 million they owed Finley over the past three seasons.

The Spurs were eliminated by the Mavericks in a memorable second-round series in Finley's first season in San Antonio before winning the championship in 2007 to end Finley's decade-plus chase for a ring.

Finley then started 61 games last season for the Spurs, averaging 10.1 points and shooting 37 percent from 3-point range.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs re-sign Finley
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »
Shooting guard Michael Finley has agreed to return for a fourth season in San Antonio and more, his agent Henry Thomas said Friday.  Specific details of the agreement were not immediately available, but Thomas said the Spurs have made a commitment to Finley "beyond just a year" and that the new contract will pay more than the veteran minimum of $1.3 million next season.

Steve Kerr's Worst 3pt Shooting season (98/99) - .391
Steve Kerr's 2nd worst 3Pt Shooting Season (00/01) - .421

Michael Finley's Best 3Pt shooting season (04/05) - .407
Michael Finley's 2nd Best 3Pt shooting season (03/04) - .405
Michael Finley's best 3Pt. shooting season as a Spur (05/06) -.394
Last Seasons Michael Finley's 3Pt shooting - .370

Brent Barry's Best 3Pt shooting season (00/01) - .476
Brent Barry's 2nd Best 3Pt shooting season (03/04) - .452
Brent Barry's best 3Pt. shooting season as a Spur (06/07) -.446
Last Seasons Brent Barry's 3Pt shooting - .429

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »
This says more about how the SA franchise treats it's players then anything else.  Finley had a chance to play for a lot of teams but decided on sticking with the Spurs.  With most teams players don't stick around if they might have a remote chance of more success or money somewhere else.   One thing comes to mind though....I thought the Spurs were planning on getting younger?  So far they haven't really went after young talent.  I thought that was a primary concern for this squad??

Reality you were talking up James Posey but then want to talk down Michael Finley?  That doesn't make sense considering they play the same role and are in the same spot in their careers. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:18:27 AM »
This says more about how the SA franchise treats it's players then anything else.  Finley had a chance to play for a lot of teams but decided on sticking with the Spurs.  With most teams players don't stick around if they might have a remote chance of more success or money somewhere else.   One thing comes to mind though....I thought the Spurs were planning on getting younger?  So far they haven't really went after young talent.  I thought that was a primary concern for this squad??

Reality you were talking up James Posey but then want to talk down Michael Finley?  That doesn't make sense considering they play the same role and are in the same spot in their careers. 

Tiago Splitter, Pargo, and Gist all went over seas...  and the Spurs have not made very many moves at all...2nd round and out for us this coming year if we don't start getting some help...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 10:19:09 AM »

"Defense wins Championships."  ;)

Better yet, "you've got to play defense if you're gonna play for Popped".

In other news
Dragic to sign with Suns http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54037/20080817/dragic_headed_to_phoenix_after_buyout/

So after Scola and Splitter yield the Spurs nothing, Phx gets its Tau man.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:35:32 AM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:38:44 AM »

Do you think he has a clue?  Tardality thinks the Spurs win championships based on 3-pt shooting alone.  Spurs play the best D when it comes to "winning time" so they may not make signings that makes sense to most people.  I will say that the Spurs are looking like they are the last person at the dance with no partner.  Their core of TD-Manu-Parker would typically be good enough but with the loaded Lakers, Rockets and Hornets the Spurs are probably not going to get out of the West.  The Suns and Mavs are not going to be push overs either.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:46:59 AM »

"Defense wins Championships."  ;)

Better yet, "you've got to play defense if you're gonna play for Popped".

In other news
Dragic to sign with Suns http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54037/20080817/dragic_headed_to_phoenix_after_buyout/

So after Scola and Splitter yield the Spurs nothing, Phx gets its Tau man.

It does lol

The Boston Celtics beat the Los Angeles Lakers because of what?  Their GREAT TEAM DEFENSE.  The Lakers, the better of the two on offense, did not win the championship...DUE TO BOSTON'S GREAT TEAM DEFENSE. If offense won championships you would be awfully quiet seeing as the Lakers would have hoisted the trophy sending you into a deep depression.

Finley is around for his experience at this point as much as anything though.  He is moving into that Robert Horry space.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:43 AM »
Yes we've had this discussion before.  Posey and Ray Allen nailing treys added nothing to the Celts victories over the Lakers.  Nor did Paul Pierces shooting over Kome or KG working the paint.  ::)

Finleys "experience" being on one world title Spurs team in three years.  Yeah that justifies keeping him at a raise after he's sucked up 124 million careerwise.

Do explain how Finleys D fits in.  Better then WoWs lame attempt where he simply contradicted himself. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »
Yes we've had this discussion before.  Posey and Ray Allen nailing treys added nothing to the Celts victories over the Lakers.  Nor did Paul Pierces shooting over Kome or KG working the paint.  ::)

Finleys "experience" being on one world title Spurs team in three years.  Yeah that justifies keeping him at a raise after he's sucked up 124 million careerwise.

Do explain how Finleys D fits in.  Better then WoWs lame attempt where he simply contradicted himself. 

Why bother?  You know close to nothing regarding the Spurs or anything basketball as MANY posters on this board know and have pointed out on several occasions. 
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:37:41 AM »

Why bother?  You know close to nothing regarding the Spurs or anything basketball as MANY posters on this board know and have pointed out on several occasions. 

No he knows.  He just doesn't want to have to admit he is wrong.  As if Ray Allen and James Posey's 3 point shooting was more important to winning then the help defense when Kobe or Fisher tried to penetrate.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 11:39:24 AM »

WoWkoast
And we danced like a wave on the ocean, romanced
We were liars in love and we danced
Swept away for a moment by chance
And we danced and danced and danced

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »
No he knows.  He just doesn't want to have to admit he is wrong.  As if Ray Allen and James Posey's 3 point shooting was more important to winning then the help defense when Kobe or Fisher tried to penetrate.

I think he's just tired of getting OWNED by everyone on this board.  He'll probably starting writting new songs or hiku's to deal with his next mental collapse.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »

Wrong about the Celts offense contributing to their win?  Never said a word about 3 point shooting being "more important to winning then the help D".  Nice fabrication.   

You two using "the board" as a measuring stick to knowing Spursness or for that matter hoop.
Oh the irony.

When in doubt, fabricate. -WoWkoast.
And we danced like a wave on the ocean, romanced
We were liars in love and we danced
Swept away for a moment by chance
And we danced and danced and danced

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 12:10:02 PM »
You two using "the board" as a measuring stick to knowing Spursness or for that matter hoop.
Oh the irony.

I know places like Fanhome are more your speed.  The posters on this board are some of the most level headed and intelligent posters I've ever read.  Hard to find the quality of posters like Joe V, Dabods, Ted, Skandypanties, ziggy, Wolvie, msc, Khamit and jn on the net let alone on ONE board.  The rest of us, who are blatent homers, still can carry a interesting conversation and debate a point intelligently while at the same time taking cheap and fun shots at each other and our favorite teams.

Most people on this board know more about b-ball then you can ever hope to learn.  Most people on this board also know more about the Spurs than you or your "inside" source can even imagine.  In all honesty you are not in my league when it comes to b-ball which is why I don't waste b-ball time on you.  Your only worth on here is busting balls and making fun of, that's about it.  Honestly.

Make light of "the board" all you like, this is one of the best and clearly way beyond your b-ball knowledge.  You're the 13th man in the rotation so it's understandable that you "don't get it".

Go queer off with more pics of Kobe, that seems to be your forte.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:23:34 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"