Author Topic: Blazers other first round pick from the 2007 draft  (Read 1628 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Blazers other first round pick from the 2007 draft
« on: August 12, 2008, 11:53:48 AM »
http://www.blazersedge.com/

Rudy Recap: Game 2

We got another good, long look at Rudy Fernandez against China last night.   Here's the observation buffet:

--I didn't get to see the first quarter at all.  I don't know if the televised it on another channel or didn't televise the game until the second quarter, but my Tivo didn't pick it up.

--The most impressive aspect of Rudy's game--and probably THE game overall--was the way he took over when the Spanish made their comeback in the fourth.  Those two drives against Yao Ming were priceless.  He picked that team up and carried them on his back.  Others would come along and add to the win but Rudy did it first.  Brilliant.  You could tell how much the coach was relying on him as well by the minutes he got.

--For the most part Rudy drove under control tonight and got deeper to the cup.  This showcased him a lot better.  I like how he can drive either side of the lane.

--I still drool over how well Rudy moves without the ball no matter how many cuts I see him make.  If the other Blazers will recognize the potential there and take care to get him the ball...oh boy.  This showcases his quickness more than any other aspect of the game.

--When the floor is open, Rudy is at his best.  He takes advantage of the space the other team leaves.

--Things get a little more sticky when things get congested.  This showed up in his passing game tonight.  When there's a lane he feeds the ball extremely well.  But he was also making passes that didn't fly in the international game, let alone the NBA.  In the NBA you cannot throw it across the lane, over the lane, or into the lane if the pass is soft or into heavy traffic.  Applause for the unselfishness, but the crisp, straight tosses are the way to go.

--There's a difference in Rudy's whole game when things are clicking for him offensively (or at least energy-wise, which comes out offensively) and when they're not.  Sometimes you're just begging for him to block out or go for a rebound...move...do something besides watch when he doesn't have the ball.  Then all of a sudden he gets on a roll and his energy spills over into rebounding and defense as well.  His drives sparked him tonight and he took it into overdrive.  He plays much better when the spring is in his step.  One of the adjustments he'll need to make is gearing up and being that energy guy right away and keeping it there, as he won't get much time to ebb and flow coming off the bench.

--This is critical to his defense.  There's a big difference between the Rudy who moves his feet and makes plays and the Rudy who shows up late and/or takes a step and then waves at the ball with his arms.

--Overall I thought Rudy dealt with picks better tonight.

--Again we saw that Rudy's best halfcourt defense is the zone.  Other than that, he's a lot better when you allow him to roam the passing lanes and try to create chaos than he is when you stick him on someone one-on-one and ask him to control them.  Fortunately he'll have a couple things going for him coming to Portland.  The Blazers have played a lot of zone under Nate McMillan.  Plus Greg Oden should make a nice mop-up guy if and when Rudy gets on the wrong side of his man or a play.

This showing was even better than the first.  I am excited to see how he responds against Team USA and whether he'll consider it a challenge to step up.  If he can move consistently without the ball and if Spain feeds him the Americans could have a hard time keeping up.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Blazers other first round pick from the 2007 draft
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:45:46 PM »
They have a video of an Oden workout yesterday.

ziggy,

I was reading on another board about a fantasy trade scenario, Bynum for Oden strait up, Lakers calling Portland and vice versa.  The first response was probably the most accurate, both GM's would say no.  I swear you would think someone insulted the posters mother when he responded with some heat about how anyone could turn down Oden.  It was obvious he was a Portland fan after that, he just kept going on and on about how unthinkable that was while ignoring the reasons behind that response.

What do you think?  There is so much hype around this guy I wonder how quickly he will develop and to what level.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
They have a video of an Oden workout yesterday.

ziggy,

I was reading on another board about a fantasy trade scenario, Bynum for Oden strait up, Lakers calling Portland and vice versa.  The first response was probably the most accurate, both GM's would say no.  I swear you would think someone insulted the posters mother when he responded with some heat about how anyone could turn down Oden.  It was obvious he was a Portland fan after that, he just kept going on and on about how unthinkable that was while ignoring the reasons behind that response.

What do you think?  There is so much hype around this guy I wonder how quickly he will develop and to what level.

A Blazer fan getting defensive and going on a tirade about the Lakers and their less capable players for one of our more capable?  Shocking  :o   I didn't think I would have ever seen such a thing   ::)  !!

As far Oden for Bynum, I can understand why both sides would say no.  You know what you have and that is always better than evaluating what you might get.  The Lakers know Bynum, and have worked with him for 3+ years.  They see the progress, they see the capabilities, their own hubris doesn't allow them to see the flaws, or to recognize the limitations.  Visa versa for Portland.  You get invested in a player, and taking a risk in moving him for someone similar can be a career ending move.

I believe Oden will be going into a situation where he will have a good opportunity to succeed, and as a result he will be successful.  The expectations for him offensively will not be particularly high, as Portland will have lots of options.  The defensive expectations will be high, but even there Portland has some options which will provide some protection, and allow him to progress without unrealistic expectations.  I have seen projections of him being Patrick Ewing or Shaq like.  I don't see that at all.  I think he will be  more of a Nate Thurmond, Bill Russell, Wes Unseld type.  He will be a rebounder defender type who will get his points in the flow, as opposed to an offensively focused player who gets his rebounds and blocks based upon physical presence.  This will allow him to progress without the expectation of scoring big immediately.

I haven't seen Bynum play much, Portland didn't play LA until he got hurt, but I think they will be similar players, and will have similar roles.  I of course believe Oden will be way better  ::).  Shocking but true.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:30:42 AM »
Looks like you'll need that guy ASAP.

Roy to undergo arthroscopic knee surgery
Posted by The Oregonian August 13, 2008 21:13PM

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Trail Blazers announced today that guard Brandon Roy will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery on Thursday to repair a tear in the meniscus of his left knee. A Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) taken Tuesday revealed the tear in the meniscus.

Trail Blazers team physician Dr. Don Roberts will perform the surgery at Southwest Washington Regional Surgery Center in Vancouver, Wash.

A timetable for Roy's return will be set following the arthroscopic surgery.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 09:03:38 AM »
ALso posted by the oregonaian

Before anybody goes jumping off the Fremont Bridge over the news of Brandon Roy's knee surgery on Thursday morning, keep this in mind: Roy is having arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. When he was a junior at the University of Washington, Roy had the same procedure done for the same injury on his right knee. In three weeks he was back on the court, playing in a big-time game against No. 9-ranked North Carolina State. Oregonian

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 10:44:54 AM »

Before anybody goes jumping off the Fremont Bridge over the news of Brandon Roy's knee surgery on Thursday morning, keep this in mind: Roy is having arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. When he was a junior at the University of Washington, Roy had the same procedure done for the same injury on his right knee. In three weeks he was back on the court, playing in a big-time game against No. 9-ranked North Carolina State. Oregonian

::)

Is the writer seriously trying to downplay it that much?  So he had surgery on THE OTHER KNEE before so it's okay?  I'd say having surgey on both knees this young says something completely different.  While Roy will have many years in this league and will recover...this is not college and even 30th ranked Miami Heat are a thousand times better then No. 9 ranked North Carolina State when Roy was in college....
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:56:54 AM »

::)

Is the writer seriously trying to downplay it that much?  So he had surgery on THE OTHER KNEE before so it's okay?  I'd say having surgey on both knees this young says something completely different.  While Roy will have many years in this league and will recover...this is not college and even 30th ranked Miami Heat are a thousand times better then No. 9 ranked North Carolina State when Roy was in college....

You have to understand the angst and torture of a typical Blazer fan to put it all into context ;D.  We need constant reassurance.

I have read where it was the same injury as Agent Zero had this year, only not nearly as severe.  Roy had arthroscopic and Arenas had major surgery.  Arenas was out 60 days, and the season doesn't start of about 80 days, so I think that is the point of the article.  It isn't good, but it isn't micro fracture.

AA Mil