Author Topic: Thoughts on Mike Bibby  (Read 4833 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Thoughts on Mike Bibby
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:03:26 PM »
We exhausted all of the talk about Iguodala and so I'm starting to think of some new plans for this team. I'm content with going through the entire upcoming season with the roster as is. If and when Andre Miller leaves us next summer for another franchise in a different time zone, who should we go after to replace him?

I thought of a lot of the younger PGs that we would have to acquire via trade (Crittenton, Conley, etc) but there will be a fair number of veteran PGs available as UFAs. One of them is Mike Bibby in Atlanta. Based on the way Atlanta is handling their negotiations with their restricted free agents, I don't think it'll be much of a stretch to see an unrestricted free agent walk away from them without a bidding war even happening.

I haven't been a Mike Bibby fan over the years but I do respect that the guy has lead the Kings and Hawks to the playoffs and performed well in them. With Brand turning 31 in the following season, I don't think we can screw around too much with younger PGs who need to learn the position when we will still have a number of young guys surrounding him. The Celtics were able to get away with Rondo at point because he had some veteran guys like Garnett, Pierce, and Allen to help him out. Anyway, the 31 year old Bibby would bring the outside shooting touch this team may need along with the veteran PG skills needed to carry us through the playoffs. Thoughts?

Bibby
Iguodala
Young
Brand
Dalembert

That seems like an extremely balanced starting 5 that could do a lot of damage.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Mike Bibby
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »
Are you going to fire his dad first?

I believe that they're speaking now, but for a long time they weren't.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 06:20:11 PM »
LOL! I thought about that. If Miller did in fact walk, the Sixers may need to send Mike and Henry on Dr. Phil. Like you said, I think they are at least on speaking terms these days so who knows.

Offline sixerscan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
Mike Bibby has had two straight down years. He would have been perfect 5 years ago but now he's pretty close to done.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »
His time as a CHiP caliber PG has come and gone in my opinion.  We would be getting him after another season of wear and tear.  A better shooter than Miller, but not really an upgrade.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 07:49:12 PM »
I pretty much echo what has been said.  Bibby looks to have a bit to much wear on his tires to work well on this uptempo, athletic team.

also, Miller has the size to play next to Lou, which I do not thik Bibby can do.  If we replace Miller, I would want to get another big PG who can guard SG's at least a little bit.

That brings us back to Hinrich.  I'm not even the hugest Hinrich fan, but he seems like the right fit for this team.  He can shoot and guard some SG's, and his weaknesses in penetration and playmaking can be minimized playing next to Iguodala and/or Lou.  Add in his potential availability, age and declining contract and I can't imagine a better answer.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »
I like Hinrich but obviously last season wasn't a good one for him and now he's going to become a SG. I question if he can be a PG on a championship caliber team but I am more than willing to find out.

Scan (I think it was him) made a joking comment in another thread about rooting for things to go bad in LA so that the Clippers would trade him for Miller and filler at the deadline. Baron Davis is exactly the type of PG this team needs at this point. A floor leader who can lead a fast break, a guy who can hit an outside shot, and someone with some playoff experience. That said, if the Clippers ever considered moving him... it certainly wouldn't be to Philly so that he could play alongside Brand.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 08:28:36 PM »
There really aren't that many great, realistic PG options out there.  I'm not a fan of either Bibby or Baron Davis.  I fully expect Davis to find that playing outside of Nellie's sytem isn't much fun and to party a little too hard in LA and play too little now that he has his final big contract.

Hinrich would seem to be a fit and he should be available since he is not a SG either.  Of course our only trading chip of equal size is Miller who makes even less snese in Chicago.  Perhaps a three way deal.  I think Hinrich is a better player than he showed last year.

Memphis still has a well-spring of talented if unproven PG's.  No way to predict what their management will do with them.  If Mayo is moved to PG Conley could become available, otherwise it is Crittenton and Lowry (who I like as a back-up).

Portland might have an extra PG or two, but nothing that excites me unless Koponen keeps developing, and he might be in Europe for a few years.

Billups could become available now or in the future, but they will want young talent in return.

Ray Felton is a realistic option if Augustine develops, but he's a nice player, nothing great.

Kidd looks like he's toast.

Lou Williams should be given more time at PG this year with Iggy at SG to see how he fits, maybe he really is the answer although I am skeptical.

Miller might re-sign, but I would not extend him until later this year to see how his game is holding up.  He has been very durable in his career, but that also means more miles per season on his legs.

There is a guy in Denver who currently plays SG and is a FA this summer, could he come back and alter his game enough to make things work.  You could tell last year that he wished he never left and with Brand here we are now a legitimate title threat down the road.  Would he and management even consider it?

Offline sixerscan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 09:29:56 PM »
The more I think about it, the best realistic option might honestly be Louis Williams. If you told me I would be saying this two years ago I would have called you crazy, but if he gets a little stronger and Cheeks instills in him to pass more I could see him developing into a starting point in this league. Certainly one that looks to shoot more in the mold of a Parker or a Billups, but still someone that can play point. Plus he's cheap.

Maybe then you deal Miller in a S+T to get the shooter we need and sign a big backup PG with the MLE.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:35:18 AM »
All of these posts about getting the proper PG and SG combo get to the basic issue that this team will be good, but is unlikely to be a contender unless their young players dramatically improve (hopefully while Brand and maybe Miller are still in there prime.)  I understand this team won't have the perfect balance of athletes, post scoring and shooting- but very few teams are without some kind of Achilles heel.  Even if they could swap Iguodala or Miller for equal players that are better shooters, they would likely be trading one flaw for another, and still would not be favorites to be in the finals.

I see this as a 50+ team for many years, but it is hard to see how they become a 60-65 win team without Thad, Lou or Iguodala emerging as a superstar- none of which seems all that likely.  I also think they could keep Miller another 2-3 years or even start Lou in a year or two and still potentially be a very good team.  I just not sure how this becomes the best team in the NBA.

I'm excited to see how the team as currently structured fits together.  They have so much more talent then in years past, both vets and prospects, and hopefully Young or Lou emerges as the shooter/scorer perimeter star that the team needs- and hopefully while Brand is still a star in the low post.

Basically Lou and Miler

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »
I don't disagree about this team TK, but I do think that a lot of the NBA champion teams are well balanced teams. In fact, when I think about most of the champions whether it be this past season's Celtics, last year's Spurs, the Pistons, or even the Laker teams from 8 years ago... they all seem to have a strong inside-out game.

This Sixers' squad is going to be good and they're going to a tough team to beat in a 7 game series but I obviously believe that their outside shooting (17+ feet NOT 3 pointers) is going to be their downfall. I do love that we're having THIS conversation instead of a conversation about how we can possibly become relevant again.

****Also, I think Scan has tapped into my mind because Lou Williams just might be the right PG for this team post-Miller. His scoring and shooting could be the perfect compliment to Iguodala at the 2 and well, I too am shocked to type something like that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:33:52 AM by TheGuiltyParty »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »
I think Young will be helped this year by having a savvy vet like Miller at PG.  Once Young has cleaned up his handle and is more comfortable on the wing. Lou might be a good fit at PG next to Iguodala and Young.  I'm just now sure how quickly this will be (also, obviously Lou still needs to improve a bunch.)

I am still ecstatic this team got Brand, but it does put some pressure on these young guys to peak sooner- but it also helps their development, since there will be less pressure on guys like Lou and Young to carry the load.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 07:33:24 AM »
Part of the problem with Lou as the future at PG is that Lou Williams doesn't think Lou Williams is a PG. He said in an interview this past year that his future is at shooting guard. I also don't think Stefanski sees him as a full-time PG either. Who knows? Maybe things will change.

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:19:06 AM »
Who was that Lou Will interview with Sub?

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:21:41 AM »
MacNow on a post-game.