Author Topic: Best off season so far  (Read 5294 times)

jemagee

Best off season so far
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:49:46 AM »
so up to this point...as things stand, which team do you think had the best and worst off seasons?

Just landing brand puts the sixers near the top but if they don't get louis and iguodala back in the fold that hurts their ranking in my opinion (not to mention ignoring the 'back up' plan at point guard or dumping willie)

I think i'd put golden state and the clippers at the bottom just due to the fact that they both got really screwed by their 'stars', and then GSW went out and over paid on almost everyone they signed.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best off season so far
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »
It's gotta be the Sixers, right?  There's no reason to believe Iguodala and Williams won't be back, they added a top 10 NBA player, and they picked up some nice roleplayers.  I mean, aren't the Rockets the only team that's really made another big move?

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »
Adding Baron Davis is a big move, it's just off set by losing elton brand
The bucks made a big move early by getting Jefferson but i think you off set that with the bogut signing
the raptors added jermaine o'neal, that's pretty big (though i think not as big as the raptors hope it will be)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:16:04 PM »
I would have given the Clippers a better grade since they added Camby for nothing and got Baron Davis, but then they went and signed Ricky Davis.  Their grade would have been higher if they could have gotten Azibuike instead of Ricky.  GS might have saved its summer with theMarcus Williams deal if he works out.  Milwaukee is running in mud, the RJ deal was nice, but Joe Alexander seems like a bust waiting to happen.  Right now I have to put the Hawks at the bottom for losing Childress for this year and getting nothing back for him, plus Smith wants out of there badly.

Tops- Sixers and Raptors

Most explosive, in many ways - Rockets

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:33:23 PM »
I think the sixers are tops, provided Lou and Andre are resigned.  I think the nets had a good offseason, though it won't show this year.  The rockets and Miami also had pretty solid offseasons.

Atlanta has had the worst offseason w/ GS not to far behind.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
I can't give the nets credit for a good off season, planing for 2010 just isn't something i agree with, it's backfired too many times for too many teams when they target free agents a few years off...looking at their roster right now i think they aren't as good as they were.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »
I can't give the nets credit for a good off season, planing for 2010 just isn't something i agree with

Do you disagree with trading Korver for an expiring contract?

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »
I can't give the nets credit for a good off season, planing for 2010 just isn't something i agree with

No

But now i've lost all interest in even pursuing this line of discussion even one more iota

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »
I'd like to think that we are up there.  When you add EB and your only loss of any significance (so far) is Rodney Carney, then I say you've taken a huge step forward.  We still need to lock down Dre and Lou. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:10:28 PM »
I also like the Ivey and Rush signings.  Nothing groundbreaking, but with the Sixers limited to minimum contracts they have struck pretty quickly to get two solid guys who fill needs and fit the team's profile nicely, even for deep rotation guys.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
If/when Iguodala and Williams re-sign, I think the Sixers will be at the top. The Raps also have to be near the top since the cleared up their PG jam by acquiring Jermaine O'Neal and re-signed Calderon.

Has there been any news about what kind of deal he signed??

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »
If/when Iguodala and Williams re-sign, I think the Sixers will be at the top. The Raps also have to be near the top since the cleared up their PG jam by acquiring Jermaine O'Neal and re-signed Calderon.

Has there been any news about what kind of deal he signed??

I read that Calderon signed for cheap- a few mil above the MLE.  Maybe 8M/year over the life of the contract.  Sorry, can't find the link.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »

No

But now i've lost all interest in even pursuing this line of discussion even one more iota

Of course you do.

sorry for picking on you.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »

Why are you asking him that?  I know at the time you were very unhappy, but now I assume that Ed's subsequent moves have demonstrated that he had a good plan for this off-season.

Stefanski has done a bang-up job as far as I am concerned,  at the end of last season, the Sixers primary weaknesses were inside scoring, and outside shooting.  It appears Ed has done a great job by bringing in Brand for the inside scoring, and Ivey and Rush to provide 3 point shooting.  With Lou signed to a long-term deal, all that's left is to come to terms with Andre.

So far, it doesn't seem that any other team is willing to make a run at Iguodala. They will regret their inability to act later as Andre will continue to improve.  Many underestimate him since he's not the type of player to drop 30+ points on a regular basis.  But Andre does everything, filling a stat sheet with assists, steals, rebounds and even blocks along with his points. Iggy is a true team player, and he's still developing and finding his way on a team that makes different demands on him.

The Sixers should come out of the offseason with the largest improvement by virtue of adding Brand and not loosing anyone of significance. Brand isn't Garnett, but this move by the Sixers has been the closest deal to that this time around.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:31 PM »
The sort of sad irony of it all is that this summer is the completion of BK's "3 year plan."

I'm sure in BK's mind he could have pulled ot off, but I doubt it, it looks as if Ed with some luck (Brand) was the right man to finish the amazing 3 year makeover.