Author Topic: How Long Is Too Long?  (Read 4506 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
How Long Is Too Long?
« on: July 30, 2008, 01:06:49 PM »
Now that Ellis, Biedrins, Okafor, and Deng have all re-signed to massive contracts, how much longer do you believe it will be before we hear something about Iguodala? If this goes past this weekend, do you think we should be fairly concerned about Iguodala's contract demands? Surely Stefanski knows he's going to have to at least match the Deng contract for Iguodala so I'm fairly confident the 6 years/$70MIL has been offered.

When do you think we should start to worry? Has there been any reports from SF76 about this??

Offline sixerscan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How Long Is Too Long?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »
They really should get a deal done soon. If it doesn't happen in the next week or two I'd say it might turn into a major issue.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:18:41 PM »
I don't worry until i start hearing 'rumblings', agents leaking stuff through 3rd parties and complicit (sp?) journalists to get the balls rolling...i'm actually slightly more concerned with louis williams right now but that's mostly cause i'm starting to wonder what 'close' means.

It's possible 6 years 70 million has been offered, but what if he wants a shorter deal with opt outs like other 'big names' are getting, what if he wants 3 years 45 with an ETO, or something like that?  Maybe he doesn't want six years, maybe he wants 5 years but a better per year average than 11.3 maybe he wants 5/60 or 5/65....don't really know...

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »
According to Jay Bilas "long" is a good thing.   ;D

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:31:02 PM »

Jenna Jameson says the same thing.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 02:59:44 PM »

So does Jason Smith's girlfriend... Mary Carey

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »

So does Jason Smith's girlfriend... Mary Carey

Hopefully for Mary there is no relationship to arm length, or Jason might not measure up to her high standards.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 03:16:19 PM »
WOW! This thread is out of control.

Getting back on topic, will anyone get nervous if Aug 10th comes around and Iguodala still isn't signed??

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 03:29:43 PM »
I'm not nervous until he doesn't show up for training camp

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:48:23 PM »
Why should we worry?  Unless and until he gets an offer from somewhere else- more and more unlikely, he really has no choice but to take what the Sixers give him. The Sixers should try to sign him to a long-term deal but if he insists on a shorter term one, just make sure it ends in a year when a lot of other free-agents will be available.

Andre is still a young player with a lot of upside. He will still be playing at a high level in 10 years, assuming no serious injuries.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
he really has no choice but to take what the Sixers give him

Except to take the one year qualifying offer and then try again next year except the sixers can't stop him

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 08:40:40 PM »
Exactly... I'm not worried about him signing with another team this summer but I am concerned that he would accept the QO and leave next summer for nothing.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:13:08 AM »
I'm starting to believe that Stefanski is playing hardball with both Iguodala and Williams since neither has signed while almost all of the other major restricted free agents have signed. In fact, according to ESPN.com, the Top 5 RFAs left are as follows:

1. Josh Smith: Appears to want OUT of Atlanta and feels disrespected by the team. Is seeking a sign-and-trade.
2. Iguodala: ?????
3. Ben Gordon: Appears to be headed for taking the QO so that he can leave next summer. Is seekeing a sign-and-trade.
4. Lou Williams: ?????
5. JR Smith: We haven't heard anything other than that the Nuggets are looking to cut payroll. He could be another player who takes the QO.

Point being... out of the 5 RFAs, the 3 that aren't with the Sixers are having issues with their teams. How long before our guys join in?

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »
Dude, stop worrying so much...you're seeing shadows in the shadows, the vashta narada are not there...

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 10:02:11 AM »
So says you...